Different alignment set up.

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Can altering the camber on front tires really jeopardizes driving capabilities?? I'm tired of only changing (replacing) my front tires since I have the pp1 rims. Can I put some negative? Camber so the inside don't wear that quick? Because usually the middle of the tires is still good but the outside gets all bold. Thinking on getting a set of two rear pp1 wheels to put on the front with some spacers. That way I can have a square set up. Not really wanting to buy all new 4 wheels as usually don't ad value and if I was to sell the car would not keep them anyway.
Sponsored

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
Your question seems a little confusing; first you state that you're having issues with inside wear, but later you state outside wear. Either way, wear on the shoulders of the tire is more attributable to toe settings than camber. I'd suggest taking your car to a good shop and telling them what your issues are. Factory alignment specs are very loose, and a good alignment technician can align your car so that extreme wear is reduced/eliminated.

OP
OP

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Your question seems a little confusing; first you state that you're having issues with inside wear, but later you state outside wear. Either way, wear on the shoulders of the tire is more attributable to toe settings than camber. I'd suggest taking your car to a good shop and telling them what your issues are. Factory alignment specs are very loose, and a good alignment technician can align your car so that extreme wear is reduced/eliminated.
Yeah...that's what I meant...shoulder, inside thread.
Most shops will stay with factory settings as the current state of thinking is " is something goes wrong, they'll get sued.
I try explaining and they come back with "this is what Ford recommend" I guess I can go to Sonoma raceway and ask the race shops there to see if they can align it different.

Thanks.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The camber does give the front end grip in a corner. Less camber is bad for handling yes, even practical city streets stuff.

That said your plan to run a square setup with 2 more rear wheels and a spacer is a good way to get more like from your tires.

Check your alignment and make sure you have zero front toe or a smidge toe in. Toe will accelerate wear more than a little camber will.

The MP4S and MPSS seem particularly bad about inside edge wear on our cars. Never really seen anything like it before, but rotating a square setup helps a ton. You’ll still throw them out from inside edge wear probably before the middle is worn down but you’ll throw out all 4 and noticeably later.

OP
OP

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Thanks apparently a 5mm spacer? If I'm correct will be enough to clear up front if I put rear rims up front. Which is like 3/16 of an inch and 6 mm is just a tad less than 1/4 of an inch. Might look like a Chevrolet 4x4 with the front wheels a little out but I'm done with staggered set up. 83,000mi. And I'm already in my second set up front and I'm getting ready to replace the rears for the first time. So might as well do it all at once.

Thanks.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks apparently a 5mm spacer? If I'm correct will be enough to clear up front if I put rear rims up front. Which is like 3/16 of an inch and 6 mm is just a tad less than 1/4 of an inch. Might look like a Chevrolet 4x4 with the front wheels a little out but I'm done with staggered set up. 83,000mi. And I'm already in my second set up front and I'm getting ready to replace the rears for the first time. So might as well do it all at once.

Thanks.
Rumor is a 5mm spacer is all you need. Just get a hubcentric one off ebay.

I have a tough time throwing any money towards those heavy, soft, and hard to clean wheels (versus buying a set of good aftermarket wheels) but if you can find some take offs that are cheap enough…
Sponsored