Diff bushings + LCA bearing - Steeda vs. BMR

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I have Steeda lca bearings and BMR BK054. Spread the love. Both companies are great and support the cars I love so I try to support both of them. You cannot lose whichever you choose! I'm already heavier into BMR and I'll be getting vertical links and toe rods from them so I better start eyeballing Steeda's site.

With aluminum diff inserts on a PP the NVH increase is real but not enough to make a switch to something else so I'm sure yours will be insignificant.
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Regarding diff inserts -

The red Steeda diff inserts, on an otherwise bone stock PP had virtually zero impact on NVH and I've an extremely low tolerance for NVH so that's saying something. They did, however, have a dramatic affect on driveline response making the car feel like a sports car in that area - it certainly is far from that with the stock diff bushings.

In this case, as shocking as it may be, the zero-NVH claims ring true, at least for the softer red units.

Either company's offering will net you similar end results but I chose Steeda simply because they offered the 'soft' version.

Regarding LCA bearings -

I chose Steeda based on price. I'm confident, given who they are, that while there may be a technically bigger/superior unit on the market, for my usage (pure street), the bigger/better bearing would be moot.

I haven't installed these, yet, but I'm confident that once installed you'd not be able to discern any difference between the two company's bearings - or Cortex for that matter. In other words, same net result.

I wouldn't believe the zero-NVH claims for this part for a second. In fact, I'm very concerned that I'll hate driving the car after I install the LCA bearings and be forced back to stock. Hope I'm wrong.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Steeda uses the very bearing you just bought on their cars, including their race car which plays at the highest SCCA level (this is like... right below pro racing). That is the application it was developed to support and the application it is tested in. Y'all are gonna be okay with that "measly Steeda bearing" - oh my gorsh....

SCCA Majors race weekend 01/06/2016

Fastest T1 Mustang at the event qualified 3rd behind a ACR Viper and Corvette.
We will see what tomorrow brings. Also, our A/S Mustang driven by Thomas Ellis qualified first in class!

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Regarding LCA bearings -

I chose Steeda based on price. I'm confident, given who they are, that while there may be a technically bigger/superior unit on the market, for my usage (pure street), the bigger/better bearing would be moot.

I haven't installed these, yet, but I'm confident that once installed you'd not be able to discern any difference between the two company's bearings - or Cortex for that matter. In other words, same net result.

I wouldn't believe the zero-NVH claims for this part for a second. In fact, I'm very concerned that I'll hate driving the car after I install the LCA bearings and be forced back to stock. Hope I'm wrong.
Mine are going in later this afternoon along with the ford knuckle - toe link bearings. Sit tight for a review and maybe I can save you some work. I do have some mods though, BMR handling springs, eibach sway bars and bmr cb005.

Sponsored

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine are going in later this afternoon along with the ford knuckle - toe link bearings. Sit tight for a review and maybe I can save you some work. I do have some mods though, BMR handling springs, eibach sway bars and bmr cb005.
Killer! I'm standing by anxiously awaiting your review.

While you've other mods, you're only doing two changes at once and both are closely related so good, controlled, test.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I did the knuckle and LCA at the same time (have a lot more mods than Orange).

Difference was:

NIGHT
AND
DAY

My build log has a review. Dooo iiiit.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
In all of my testing and experience, which is extensive, ANY differential bushing modification has provided more NVH increase than the LCA Bearings.

From 70 durometer and up, in two PP cars I've tested with...the diff inserts / lockouts have provided audible increase in NVH. Of course, there are other variables and the softer durometer does indeed lessen the NVH gains.

Our accountant has a PP GT. She has 3 mods on the car right now, SP080 springs, BK051 diff lockout and BK055 LCA bearings and she loves her daily commutes to and from the office. She is a grandmother and loves her Mustang ;)

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Steeda uses the very bearing you just bought on their cars, including their race car which plays at the highest SCCA level (this is like... right below pro racing). That is the application it was developed to support and the application it is tested in. Y'all are gonna be okay with that "measly Steeda bearing" - oh my gorsh....
Just moved up to second,behind Joe Aquilante's Corvette a seasoned pro driver!

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the knuckle and LCA at the same time (have a lot more mods than Orange).

Difference was:

NIGHT
AND
DAY

My build log has a review. Dooo iiiit.
You're the main reason I'm installing these but I'm still nervous:)

In all of my testing and experience, which is extensive, ANY differential bushing modification has provided more NVH increase than the LCA Bearings.

From 70 durometer and up, in two PP cars I've tested with...the diff inserts / lockouts have provided audible increase in NVH. Of course, there are other variables and the softer durometer does indeed lessen the NVH gains.

Our accountant has a PP GT. She has 3 mods on the car right now, SP080 springs, BK051 diff lockout and BK055 LCA bearings and she loves her daily commutes to and from the office. She is a grandmother and loves her Mustang ;)
Very, very encouraging since, as I stated, the soft diff inserts had a near-zero impact on NVH. Only an ultra faint 'whine' on decal that is tough to hear unless listening for it.

The LCA bearing, though, directly absorbs each and every impact at the wheel so I'd expect, at the very least, more "H" over sharp edges.

Sponsored

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will hold you, if needed. :crazy::gossip::shrug:
Ha! Yes please:)

NVH is very subjective and while you've a very high attention to what the car is doing and tend to "call it like it is", like my self, ya' never really know until you experience something first hand.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Killer! I'm standing by anxiously awaiting your review.

While you've other mods, you're only doing two changes at once and both are closely related so good, controlled, test.
Well, I'm back. I took it to a friends shop and paid him some money to use the lift/press/help. 4 hours later, everything was on, and I was pulling out of the shop. Didn't have time to do the alignment but I'll get that done next week.

Hop: I'd say the each successive mod has reduced wheel hop overall let's say 10%. Springs, sways and CB005. So if you reduce that down to about 70% of stock. After the LCA and toe/knuckle bearing a combined 40% reduction down to a remaining 30%. This isn't a terrible figure IMO since I still have the stock shocks, vertical links and diff bushings.

Noise: I'd say the 2 bearings added another CB005's worth of road noise. I'd estimate 25% increase in road noise with the CB005 and the new bearings. It isn't bad, however. Just adds volume, no odd noises, diff whine, etc.

Vibration: none

Harshness: Again, picking arbitrary figures, the CB005 added 10%, the bearing combo added an additional 15%. Expansion joints, bumps, etc. are more noticeable with higher impact (feel it in your seat), it's more than acceptable for a sporting car.

Overall: I'm very happy with these modifications. It's added a solidity to the car that I was missing. I always felt the car was a bit "loose," even though it was decently stiff with the springs and sways. The CB005 helped a decent amount, but these bearings really secured up the car. It is quick to react and very sure footed.

Very pleased overall.

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff. Two things, as you get more time with it:

1. You'd day that the bearings increased harshness more than the CB005? The latter was noticeable for me, easily.

2. What about inside wheel hop/skip/traction during slow speed turns while on the throttle?

If #2 is completely resolved then #1 sounds like a reasonable tradeoff. If #2 isn't, at the very least, dramatically improved, then the LCA bearings are a no-go for me as my only interest is solving #2 at this point.

Appreciate the candid response.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Good stuff. Two things, as you get more time with it:

1. You'd day that the bearings increased harshness more than the CB005? The latter was noticeable for me, easily.

2. What about inside wheel hop/skip/traction during slow speed turns while on the throttle?

If #2 is completely resolved then #1 sounds like a reasonable tradeoff. If #2 isn't, at the very least, dramatically improved, then the LCA bearings are a no-go for me as my only interest is solving #2 at this point.

Appreciate the candid response.
I'll be sure to drive it tomorrow and get some more impressions.

I'd say they're about the same, my initial reaction is the 2 bearings added just slightly more than the CB005.

I did a quick detour through a neighborhood for #2. Keep in mind I don't find it to be an issue, so I'm less sensitive to the behavior. I'd say its 25% better upon first drive, but it's 100% still there.

Like I said, I'll drive it tomorrow for a long while and let you know.
Sponsored