Did I screw up my mustang?

OP
OP

RiceNChicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just an update for you all. Got the battery replaced and my tune squared away with my tuner, car feels great now. One thing I don't understand, is how my afr still fluctuates from 14-23, and the erratic idle. Apparently this is due to a weak MAF signal which is a known issue with the steeda CAI, mines came with an insert. Is there a current fix to this other than getting a completely new CAI?
Sponsored

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Just an update for you all. Got the battery replaced and my tune squared away with my tuner, car feels great now. One thing I don't understand, is how my afr still fluctuates from 14-23, and the erratic idle. Apparently this is due to a weak MAF signal which is a known issue with the steeda CAI, mines came with an insert. Is there a current fix to this other than getting a completely new CAI?
I'm unsure if it'll help any i did a dumb mistake on my Ngauge and let the Ngauge stay on constantly which caused my battery to deplete and i didn't know i had it on always on since i would just walk away. I sat in the car after i turned it off for a while and that was the only accessory that stayed on but battery replacement saved that issue.. pretty dumb of my part but just wanna throw it out there

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
does the car do this only with the flex fuel tune? Or does it do it with all your tunes. I was under the impression it was only issues with the flex fuel tune and the steeda CAI

OP
OP

RiceNChicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
does the car do this only with the flex fuel tune? Or does it do it with all your tunes. I was under the impression it was only issues with the flex fuel tune and the steeda CAI
With all my tunes. Earlier this afternoon I let the car sit in idle, afterba couple minutes of it bogging down and going back normal the car shut down(ACCS still on). Tuner at lund says this is due to terrible maf signal which is a known issue with steedas CAI.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The steeda CAI is only supposed to be a problem on a flex tune.

Put your stock CAI and flash the car back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Don't do that if it is full of E85

OP
OP

RiceNChicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Don't do that if it is full of E85
I'm on full e85 right now, going to have my mechanic who did the cai install take a look at it friday to see if he finds anything.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Sweet. Yeah, these cars flip out when the battery starts to fail.

That AFR seems weird, especially running full on E85.

Leave the tune, swap back to your OEM intake tube/box.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'd replace the battery and reflash.

I was testing at a test and tune night. My battery voltage fell below the min and I got a power steering rack fault. It would not work. No power steering. I flashed back to stock and no joy. I searched the code and only found people who had to replace the rack.

I grabbed forscan and reset the PSCM. That fixed it.

You can't believe the relief I felt.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RiceNChicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'd replace the battery and reflash.

I was testing at a test and tune night. My battery voltage fell below the min and I got a power steering rack fault. It would not work. No power steering. I flashed back to stock and no joy.

I grabbed forscan and reset the PSCM. That fixed it.

You can't believe the relief I felt.
Actually just had the battery replaced yesterday and reflashed. Which solved my issue not being able to start. I was thinking.....how accurate is the ngauge? Took a look at my vehicle dash and afr is reading 9.6>10, sometimes will jump to 20 letting of the gas and letting it cruise. Much better than the constant 14>23.9 afr my ngauge reads.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RiceNChicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sweet. Yeah, these cars flip out when the battery starts to fail.

That AFR seems weird, especially running full on E85.

Leave the tune, swap back to your OEM intake tube/box.
Yeah, exactly. Supposedly steedas cai had this issue in their older CAI's for the gen 3's and are now selling a new revised CAI which solved it, is it a possibility that I purchased the older model CAI?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hard to say, if there's a part number anywhere, maybe they could cross check. Isn't that insert modular? I thought for tuned cars, you're supposed to run without it[?]

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The 20 AFR is 100% normal. It is DFCO

Decelerating Fuel Cutt Off. If you reflash to stock it will still go to 20 AFR on decell.

Glad it got fixed!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've never used an Ngauge, but Ford uses lambda, not AFR. You should see numbers like .85 at WOT and 1.0 at idle and cruise. On E85.

On gas it should be slightly richer, .83 or so.

AFR is tied to the fuel you are using, Lambda doesn't care what fuel is being burnt. 1.0 is stoich.

I can set the dash scaling to read anything

OP
OP

RiceNChicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've never used an Ngauge, but Ford uses lambda, not AFR. You should see numbers like .85 at WOT and 1.0 at idle and cruise. On E85.

On gas it should be slightly richer, .83 or so.

AFR is tied to the fuel you are using, Lambda doesn't care what fuel is being burnt. 1.0 is stoich.

I can set the dash scaling to read anything
Lambda numbers numbers seem to match the AFR on my gauge cluster while AFR on my ngauge is totally out of wack. Something tells me it's still recognizing it as if I'm still on the flex tune if that makes sense? Either way, still hate that my idle is utter trash with it bogging down, going back to normal to then bogging down again. Waiting on a response from steeda as they are looking into it as well.
Sponsored