Sponsored

DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING - UPDATED MARCH 2024

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
I will also try to put the categories usage groups, as in wheels and tires, decontamination, paint protection ect.
Thank you for this awesome and comprehensive list. Do you have recommendations, tips, etc for cleaning and caring for vinyl graphics?
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this awesome and comprehensive list. Do you have recommendations, tips, etc for cleaning and caring for vinyl graphics?
was going to ask the same thing. Just purchased some vinyl bling from Bemaro Films

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I wouldn't alter the washing/cleaning aspect to the rest of the car, as in using a pH neutral soap.

My concerns would be around what you are using in and around the vinyl decals and stripes. I would be mindful of is using your pressure washer inappropriately, as in being too close the edges. Be mindful of your towels around the edges as well, especially on sharp points. And most certainly keep tar removers away from them, these can act as an adhesive remover.

In terms of protection, I would skip traditional waxes and sealants, mainly due to the risk of gunking up around the edges. A simple spray sealant should be all you need, chosen correctly, these will also provide UV protection to help limit/slow down fading. If the stripes are matte, you will add a very slight sheen, but only enough to richen the finish and not necessarily turn them glossy. If you are concerned about that, you can buy matte specific products too.

If it were me, I would apply just apply something like Carpro Reload 2.0 every 3-4 months. If you are using a drying aid, that would be fine too, think Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, Adam's Slick & Slide, P&S Bead Maker.

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
I wouldn't alter the washing/cleaning aspect to the rest of the car, as in using a pH neutral soap.

My concerns would be around what you are using in and around the vinyl decals and stripes. I would be mindful of is using your pressure washer inappropriately, as in being too close the edges. Be mindful of your towels around the edges as well, especially on sharp points. And most certainly keep tar removers away from them, these can act as an adhesive remover.

In terms of protection, I would skip traditional waxes and sealants, mainly due to the risk of gunking up around the edges. A simple spray sealant should be all you need, chosen correctly, these will also provide UV protection to help limit/slow down fading. If the stripes are matte, you will add a very slight sheen, but only enough to richen the finish and not necessarily turn them glossy. If you are concerned about that, you can buy matte specific products too.

If it were me, I would apply just apply something like Carpro Reload 2.0 every 3-4 months. If you are using a drying aid, that would be fine too, think Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, Adam's Slick & Slide, P&S Bead Maker.
I've learned the hard way that best you can do for vinyl stripes is just wipe them dry carefully, and that's all. Leaving them to dry out without wiping results in splash / water marks.

I have a Mach 1 FJG with the matte black and orange stripes. I've tried generic non-alcohol window cleaner on the sticker only - results in some weird swirls and marks with some color-shifting shades.
Sundry with no wipe results in spots.

Never tried ceramic on the stickers and don't have intention to, as I assume this will add glossiness to the matte sticker, and I don't want it.

So after a good regular cleaning with the usual PH Neutral soap, then wipe them dry with a soft microfiber towel and that's all. You can toy around the stickers on the paint with whatever you want, but avoid doing anything on the stickers themselves and it shall be good.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
Got introduced to DFB5.0 on my post asking same about vinyl stripes and oh what a rabbit hole I've fallen down...my shop cabinet of detailing supplies was already bulging at the hinges and now I've found myself wedging in new discoveries that are turning out to be great products allowing me to to refine my finish phase of paint correction. The conclusion for my stripes was that it'd be best for me to just PPF the stripes to mask the towel marring though I have yet to go down that road.

In the meantime, I pulled the trigger on CarPro CQUARTZ Skin Kit as I also have front 1/4 ppf'd and will be coating that as well with the CQUARTZ Skin Kit. I'll post up another thread after I wrap that experience up alongside a CQUARTZ UK application to the Oxford White finish after I spend some time 'correcting my last paint correction' as it were. I did a quick and dirty in Dec after acquiring the new mistress but she needs some real lovin' to get her where I want her now that I've attacked three sets of wheels/calipers after DFB5.0 introduced me to CQUARTZ DLUX.

IMG_0629.jpeg
IMG_0586.jpeg
IMG_0581.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Got introduced to DFB5.0 on my post asking same about vinyl stripes and oh what a rabbit hole I've fallen down...my shop cabinet of detailing supplies was already bulging at the hinges and now I've found myself wedging in new discoveries that are turning out to be great products allowing me to to refine my finish phase of paint correction. The conclusion for my stripes was that it'd be best for me to just PPF the stripes to mask the towel marring though I have yet to go down that road.

In the meantime, I pulled the trigger on CarPro CQUARTZ Skin Kit as I also have front 1/4 ppf'd and will be coating that as well with the CQUARTZ Skin Kit. I'll post up another thread after I wrap that experience up alongside a CQUARTZ UK application to the Oxford White finish after I spend some time 'correcting my last paint correction' as it were. I did a quick and dirty in Dec after acquiring the new mistress but she needs some real lovin' to get her where I want her now that I've attacked three sets of wheels/calipers after DFB5.0 introduced me to CQUARTZ DLUX.

IMG_0629.jpeg
IMG_0586.jpeg
IMG_0581.jpeg
Back up a moment! Is that an E46 M3 in the first photo? One of my all-time favorite cars! That engine is to die for!

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Back up a moment! Is that an E46 M3 in the first photo? One of my all-time favorite cars! That engine is to die for!
Affirmativo. Concur on the magic of the S54 inline 6. Not as sexy perhaps as the symphony from the FPC 5.2, but they were able to wrangle 4% more ponies per liter than Ford’s 5.2.

And I am probably an anomaly when it comes to SMG…this being my 3rd as it gives the car more personalities than a pregnant Karen who hasn’t had her coffee and had to give up her wine. A fun one to max perform when driven with both feet.

But again, the Mustang is a sound unlike any other. I find my brother’s ‘18 5.0 PP1 with a Roush cat back just as bitchin’ as the 5.2.

Variety being one of the enjoyable spices of life (though best limited to garage mistresses vice those accompanied by a brass pole…you can have a stable of steeds or a list of ex-wives, but rarely both lol).

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Affirmativo. Concur on the magic of the S54 inline 6. Not as sexy perhaps as the symphony from the FPC 5.2, but they were able to wrangle 4% more ponies per liter than Ford’s 5.2.

And I am probably an anomaly when it comes to SMG…this being my 3rd as it gives the car more personalities than a pregnant Karen who hasn’t had her coffee and had to give up her wine. A fun one to max perform when driven with both feet.

But again, the Mustang is a sound unlike any other. I find my brother’s ‘18 5.0 PP1 with a Roush cat back just as bitchin’ as the 5.2.

Variety being one of the enjoyable spices of life (though best limited to garage mistresses vice those accompanied by a brass pole…you can have a stable of steeds or a list of ex-wives, but rarely both lol).
It's one of my favorite engines, and one of BMW's best. I also think BMW stopped making M cars once the E90-series stopped production, I really really don't like the turbo M cars.

It's funny you mention the SMG, I have to honest in saying that after looking at these cars for 20 years now, I always dismissed the SMG cars. However, I think it suits the car and the era, particularly the CSL.

I also find it strange how people fixate on exhaust sound with cars, because from my perspective, cars make noise from two ends. I can't say that the tinny exhaust note is particularly good, but it is at least distinctive, and I like it for that. Nor is it improved with aftermarket exhaust systems.................just leave it alone!! No, its the intake that gets my fire burning.

I post these videos so often, but the sound is just to die for. Granted, these are the CSL version, but you can get the carbon intake aftermarket to create this sound without the CSL tax.

This video gives a quick mix of both intake and exhaust, but just listen to the bark reverberating back from the trees...................

This is THE video that hooked me on M3's, a very old 5th Gear Shootout from back in the day, I've watched it countless times and it makes me beam from ear to ear each and every time I watch it. Just listen to that bark from the CSL.

Show me a turbo engine that has induction note like that!

And this is one of the key reasons why I love Mustang's in V8 form....................they are naturally aspirated! Very few engines on the market today have that delicious intake bark that the Coyote and Voodoo engines have. And I have to laugh at the people who complain about the apparent lack of low end torque.............just rev it harder, that's what it was designed for! Because that snorty bark that comes back through the firewall after a full throttle upshift is heaven on four wheels.

Anyway, waaaay off topic.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anyway, waaaay off topic.
Well...it is your thread so you have carte blanche to take it anywhere you wish...and I have no problem whatsoever listening to that CSL intake aboard one of the most sought after unicorns in the car world.

I had to part ways with an '05 IB ZCP slick top/manual seats with Brembos and a Dinan Stage 2 suspension to acquire the GT3. I will offer that the Borla exhaust was quite the right 'mixing board' for the S54 though they stopped manuf them a year ago. And none of the aftermarket intakes are allowed in California...you know, the Gov't knows what is best for us...

IMG_0146.jpeg

All I wish for is unlimited garage space and a budget to fill it up. A 2020 GT500 w/ 1,900 miles sold on BaT this morning for $78k...love my 350 but kicking myself for not rolling in hot. "Honey, it's an automatic. We'll sell the SQ5 and you can drive it." (which would likely be followed by my epitaph and the public announcement "Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to the Automotive OCD Owners of America").

If man has X (where X is number of cars), man needs X+1.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming and DFB's Little Black Book of Detailing...Cheers!

Last edited:

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
It's one of my favorite engines, and one of BMW's best. I also think BMW stopped making M cars once the E90-series stopped production, I really really don't like the turbo M cars.

It's funny you mention the SMG, I have to honest in saying that after looking at these cars for 20 years now, I always dismissed the SMG cars. However, I think it suits the car and the era, particularly the CSL.

I also find it strange how people fixate on exhaust sound with cars, because from my perspective, cars make noise from two ends. I can't say that the tinny exhaust note is particularly good, but it is at least distinctive, and I like it for that. Nor is it improved with aftermarket exhaust systems.................just leave it alone!! No, its the intake that gets my fire burning.

Show me a turbo engine that has induction note like that!
What?? I couldn't hear you over the fake engine noise played through my speakers

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
I have an Oxford White S650 on order.
I'm also looking at getting a foam cannon.

I might be over-thinking this, but how hard is it to see the foam coverage over a white car?

Is a stoopid idea to put a tiny amount of food colouring to make the foam more obvious?
Or is there a product specifically for this?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

I might be over-thinking this, but how hard is it to see the foam coverage over a white car?

Is a stoopid idea to put a tiny amount of food colouring to make the foam more obvious?
No worries, it is very easy to see. 🤭👍

uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000116DD&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Koch Chemie sell specific soap colorants, but......................the price is certainly not attractive.................

Koch-Chemie Colorful Blue CB Colour Concentrate 1L: Vibrant and Long-Lasting Color Concentrate (detailingshed.com.au)
Koch-Chemie Colorful Yellow Cy Colour Concentrate 1L - Enhance Your Car's Appearance (detailingshed.com.au)
Koch-Chemie Colorful Green Cg Colour Concentrate (1L) (detailingshed.com.au)

They are probably more for commercial car wash businesses.

As for foam on white cars, I think its pretty easy to see the foam I have applied......................... :giggle:

DSC-0344.jpg

apr96.jpg

IMG-0307.jpg

IMG-0660.jpg

IMG-1179.jpg

IMG-1595.jpg

IMG-2118.jpg

Depends on the soap though. Most are thick, but something like this Optimum soap is more of a fluid film rather than shaving cream foam. If you like shaving cream foam, take a look at NV Snow, Adam's Mega Foam, Ethos Foam Party (the same as Mega Foam), DIY Incredible Suds and KCx GSF.

IMG-4588.jpg

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
I see what you mean Deyon.
$244 for 1L of the yellow colourant is absurd. :thumbsdown:

As for foam on white cars, I think its pretty easy to see the foam I have applied......................... :giggle:
Thanks for taking the time to post those sample images.
Appreciate it.
Not a issue.

The problem with our long wait times.... you over-think things whilst waiting for the new toy to arrive. 🕰:crazy:
Sponsored