Sponsored

Dent/Indentation on Flat Spot Above Rear Fender(s)

Do you have an indentation/dent on the flat surface above your rear fender(s)?

• Total voters
OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone :) I'm sure it'll be fine and things happen.

But, maybe this thread is shedding some light on another possible issue with a body support shrinking and expanding (due to weather) causing it to pull on the exterior sheet metal. It did go from the 70's on Friday down to the 50's yesterday, pretty much overnight. We have 3 reports of this dent in the same spot in upstate NY, Central Ohio and Florida. Without knowing your exact locations, did either of you guys have drastic changes in temperature (I assume Lost probably did since you usually get the same weather I do)? I feel like we would have had numerous reports of this, if a support was pulling on the exterior sheet metal. It seems to coincidental that the service manager was leaning on the car and this popping up, but hey, maybe the planets have aligned just right, or something.

It's still 50 degrees out, but I will go pull the Mustang out of the garage and park it in the sun to see if that helps.

A really good example of sheet metal warping/shrinking in the cold is a 1st gen Kia Soul. If you're ever stuck behind one in the winter, look at the hatchbacks sheet metal, you will see 2 support boxes outlined.
Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
It's been getting as high as 80 and low 25 since I had it. (Mid March)

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Did you just notice this recently, or has it been there for a while? Both you and I got our 2016 Mustangs in mid March, live in a cold climate, and have had a wacky winter and spring. I feel like if it were the metal shrinking and expanding, we would have noticed this much sooner.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just noticed it yesterday when washing, and the tail was pointed in the sunset. It is very slight, did not think much of it till I saw this thread.
The steel is very thin. Very thin. It reminds me of work (pilot), and seeing all the little blemish's I notice in even a new aircraft.
But it is slight enough that I would have to point it out to someone looking for it.

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Sounds about right, I only caught it walking into my garage, looking down the side of the car, with the light hitting it just right. Magnetic Metallic is very good at hiding subtle defects.

Let's see if any others post similar findings.

Sponsored

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
I've had the same exact dent pretty much from when I first got the car a year ago. I never knew how it got there but it seems like a few people has the same issue. I thought something had just dropped on it.

michformulas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium
I've had the same exact dent pretty much from when I first got the car a year ago. I never knew how it got there but it seems like a few people has the same issue. I thought something had just dropped on it.
Hmmm. I have that identical ding on the tops of my quarter panels on both sides of my car. I assumed it was something that might have happened at the car wash so I stopped bringing it there. This is definitely interesting as I had no real idea how I got the identical dent on both sides of my car in the same place when the rest of my car is completely ding free. Pictures are of the ding on the top of my driver's side and on the top of my passenger side.
1463335576.driver's side.png
passenger side.png

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just looked at both sides of my black GT (black shows everything!) and don't see any signs of a dent or surface deformations.

Since many others have chimed in with the same 'dent' as soldier989, it seems to be caused by maybe the structure under the rear fenders and/or temperature effects. Good thing you found out now before contacting the dealership about them possibly denting it.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe this thread needs a new title, or a new thread with a poll? I just thought it was me, now it appears to be the mark of the breed!

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I did already contact the dealer, suggested he dented it and what can be done about it. I'm not entirely convinced he didn't cause this, just yet. It's too coincidental he was leaning all over that quarter panel yesterday.

I'll change the title and see if I can make a poll.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I have one there also. Exactly the same.:confused:
Same here; been there for a while and only notice it on occasion.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Interesting .. Ford will notice it soon but I don't care if they ask to fix it and repaint my car I'll live with factory paint any day of the week.

Here's mine quick pics I took. Drivers side only

Tried to get a slightly different angle but harder to see

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
And the list is growing..... It'll be interested to see what my service manager has to say tomorrow. If he or his database knows about this, I'm sure he'll be pretty quick to shoot down my claim of him causing this.

5ABI VT - are you saying that if Ford says they want to fix it, you will opt out? I would also opt out if the fix required filling the dent and repainting. If it is a body support causing this then there's little hope for a dent puller to take care of this.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
And the list is growing..... It'll be interested to see what my service manager has to say tomorrow. If he or his database knows about this, I'm sure he'll be pretty quick to shoot down my claim of him causing this.
Weird, never noticed anything but will look in the morning light. Will report back [MENTION=22748]soldier989[/MENTION].

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

5ABI VT - are you saying that if Ford says they want to fix it, you will opt out? I would also opt out if the fix required filling the dent and repainting. If it is a body support causing this then there's little hope for a dent puller to take care of this.
absolutely . Primarily this is 'should' be easily fixable with a dent repair guy. I say 'should' because someone mentioned there may be a support brace or weld at that spot underneath which may make it more difficult or impossible.. I don't know. But assuming it can't be pulled (waiting for hot weather so paint is more flexible etc) , I would absolutely never have that panel repainted. i have a strong opinion on factory paint jobs. They're not the best in terms of orange peel and thickness etc now that oems are trying to pinch pennies but they do have advantages. I am pretty much anti-dealership. I will never almost ever take my car to a dealer unless an engine completely fails. Even if it did I'd probably tell them to f* themselves and just build a stroker :)

It's hardly noticeable from most angles anyways !
Sponsored