Sponsored

Denied warranty repairs

Youngdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Platinum White
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP car. 4,550miles.
I do track the car and already have 9 days on track since mid-Feb. This past weekend at Barber MSP I rotated my wheels (18x10 square Forgestar) for more even tire wear.
1) One of the studs on the driver's rear broke off clean at the hub. I was not even close to the 150ft/lb recommended torque spec and the stud freely spun out of the lug nut, so obviously not cross-threaded.
2) When rotating the passenger side, noted oil (presumably diff fluid) on my suspension components and all over the wheel well.
3) CEL of P0390 that I cleared and it never came back.

Taken to local Ford dealer Monday morning. Before even truly looking at car, service rep states, "If there are outside forces, we won't be doing anything under warranty." Car has Steeda non-adj struts/shocks and progressive sport springs, along with stop-the-hop kit and several other chassis stiffening upgrades. This morning Ford calls to say they will not be covering any of the repairs under warranty bc the car is lowered and has been driven "too hard."

Thoughts?
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
When you say "Ford" called you mean the dealer? If so contact Ford Motor Corporation customer care and explain your issue to them. The rear end issue could be fluid coming out the vent. I would check and add fluid as necessary.

OP
OP

Youngdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I meant the local dealer.
Called FMC and explained the situation. The guy on the phone said the only thing he could recommend was to obtain a 2nd opinion but he, FMC on the phone, could do nothing about it. I pressed him on how lowering the car 1.25" would cause a wheel stud to snap. He did not have an answer.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
At the dealer you could ask to speak to the service manager and if you purchased the car there speak to your salesperson. I dont think the lowering of the car is related to the stud issue but did you tell the dealer that the car was driven on the track? Because below the track part is pretty clearly stated copied from the 2017 warranty book.

These implied warranties do not apply at all if you use your vehicle
for business or commercial purposes. In addition, the implied warranty
of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is
used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing.

OP
OP

Youngdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I declined to speak with the service manager as he is the one that made the decision and it would just make me more angry.
Dealer asked if I took the car to track days and I said yes because I knew they would scan it. The car has been over 150mph at VIR and Road Atlanta and they stated speed and RPM when they called to deny the job this AM.
Technically, I'm not racing the vehicle. No prize, no official timing, etc. It's a HPDE.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Based on what it clearly states in the warranty booklet I do not think you have a case since you admitted to them the track usage. The dealer will not be reimbursed by Ford for working on the car.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Yeah that totally sucks OP. Even though lowering the car shouldnt be related, the fact that u track the car voids the warranty. Gotta pay to play sadly:(

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think they would cover a gt-350r in this situation, and thats a real track car! A wheel stud is an easy fix so fix it yourself and never do business with them again!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what it clearly states in the warranty booklet I do not think you have a case since you admitted to them the track usage. The dealer will not be reimbursed by Ford for working on the car.
That is INCORRECT. HPDE/Track Days are not racing or time trials and are not legally treated as such.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
That is INCORRECT. HPDE/Track Days are not racing or time trials and are not legally treated as such.
that is actually true. Just like if you total your car while doing a SCCA autoX event your insurance has to cover it due to the fact it is not racing it is a "Precision Driving" event. Falls into the same classification as a driver improvement or Defensive driving class.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It's a pretty huge leap to think you can modify the cars in this way and then think you can walk in and get a warranty claim. Things just don't work this way and you're the only person to be uspet with. Pretty ballsy to even go in there and expect anything.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I had a faulty puddle lamp they said they would cover it under warranty if i checked my car in. They would'nt pay for the part and give to me to install. So i ordered the part through work at a discount and paid for it installed it in 10 minutes.. not gonna let the dealer touch my car ever!!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Just like if you total your car while doing a SCCA autoX event your insurance has to cover it due to the fact it is not racing it is a "Precision Driving" event. Falls into the same classification as a driver improvement or Defensive driving class.
Go ahead and call your insurance company and ask them if they would cover you when you crash during an autox or road course event. At minimum they would probably laugh in your face, and at worst they would just straight up drop you.

Nothing about being on a race track or race event, regardless of it's categorization (whether actual wheel to wheel racing or an HPDE), is going to be covered either by warranty or insurance.

OP I would not even bother with such a small issue, and also I very much doubt they will "scan" your car and see what kind of speeds you did if you ever go in again with a small issue. You should just have said no to you going racing and let them go about their job. But you pretty much just buried yourself by admitting it. Now if you went in with a blow engine and trans I bet they will check, but a broken stud is not going to send the dealership into straight detective mode to figure out what you did.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The damn car comes with line lock and launch control from factory. Driven hard? Gtfo dealer.
Sponsored