Sponsored

Defective transmission?

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
So I was driving around town, when all of a sudden the car wouldn't shift into 2. No grind, no noise....I was trying to shift up from 1st gear at around 10mph after a stop sign. I wasn't racing/accelerating hard. Just regular traffic speed and it felt as though there was a lock out (those familiar with gear lock outs). I was able to shift into other gears, and pumped the clutch a couple times hoping it would help, but it still didn't allow me to shift into 2.

I shifted into 3 instead. This only happened once, and have yet to encounter that problem again that day. On the way home, on the freeway, whenever I tried shifting into 5, it would grind. It didn't matter whether I was shifting up or down. As soon as I tried shifting it into 5, it would grind even with rev match. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know whether its related, but a few months ago, when driving in a parking lot (car was all warmed up already), I heard a very loud whine (sounded like transmission whine). It didn't matter whether it was accelerating or decelerating....it was just whining...then after a few minutes, the whine went away.

The whine would come back every now and then and seems to only happen once the car has been warmed up. I looked at the transmission temp and it didn't seem out of the ordinary. FIY, its a 2018 with about 10K on the odometer. Thanks guys!

P.S. I forgot to add: This is my 8th car with a manual transmission...so I'm not new to manual transmission. I also never really skip gears (not that its a problem anymore with modern synchros). Also I don't drive with my hand resting on the shifter.
Sponsored

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Do you have your floor mat jammed under the pedal? Do you have a WeatherTech type floor mat? Just trying to figure out if something is hindering the pedal from being fully depressed

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Do you have your floor mat jammed under the pedal? Do you have a WeatherTech type floor mat? Just trying to figure out if something is hindering the pedal from being fully depressed
SnakeAndSteak, I don’t have any floor mats in the car. I’m wondering whether it could be a throw out bearing

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Manual transmission can be a bit balky in cold weather until warmed up but living in LA that can probably be ruled out. One of the easy things to check first is air in the clutch hydraulic lines. It sounds like the clutch may not be disengaging completely when the pedal is pushed down. There's a fitting for the hose to the hydraulic master coming off of the brake reservoir that is suspected of coming loose or not having been pushed all the way on, on assembly. I would make sure it is pushed securely over the fitting and bleed the system. Here is a thread on bleeding the system - apparently a bit more involved than the old pump the pedal a bunch of times.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-bleed-the-hydraulic-clutch-system.79043/

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Manual transmission can be a bit balky in cold weather until warmed up but living in LA that can probably be ruled out. One of the easy things to check first is air in the clutch hydraulic lines. It sounds like the clutch may not be disengaging completely when the pedal is pushed down. There's a fitting for the hose to the hydraulic master coming off of the brake reservoir that is suspected of coming loose or not having been pushed all the way on, on assembly. I would make sure it is pushed securely over the fitting and bleed the system. Here is a thread on bleeding the system - apparently a bit more involved than the old pump the pedal a bunch of times.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-bleed-the-hydraulic-clutch-system.79043/[/QUOTEC

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-bleed-the-hydraulic-clutch-system.79043/
SVTinAR, thanks for the link! I never thought of air/bubbles in the line. Definitely a possibility. I’ll have to give that a shot. Thanks!
Sponsored