Deeper Rumble without getting louder?

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
Try the h-pipe, mine made a difference inside the car but barley noticed out side. Sounds good inside and sounds great if you stand on it. If the wife leaves the house in it by the time she's 100 feet from the house I can't even hear it( she babies it). for a quite neighborhood it might be ideal although it will talk to you a bit on the cold start. Jim
Sponsored

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Try the h-pipe, mine made a difference inside the car but barley noticed out side. Sounds good inside and sounds great if you stand on it. If the wife leaves the house in it by the time she's 100 feet from the house I can't even hear it( she babies it). for a quite neighborhood it might be ideal although it will talk to you a bit on the cold start. Jim
That's the feedback I was looking for. Thanks Jim!

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Stephen, would you say just the rest delete or a catback/axleback would be louder? I'm definitely trying to stay as close to stock volume as possible.
The cat back would definitely be louder, but I think the cat back is the way to go personally. Its not as bad as headers and a cat delete, but its a bit louder than the axle backs.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My goal for this car is to get back some of that old school rumble without making the car really any louder. Would an H pipe do the trick? Any specific axle-back?
Pypes Loudmouth axleback. No other changes. I love it.

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I run an American Thunder Flowmaster system (super 44 mufflers) on my 18. The rest of the exhaust including resonator is stock. Probably 15-18% louder than stock mufflers at wot, but a big pick up in low to mid range sound. They hear you coming on trailing throttle at low speed. Very much the old school sound some people are looking for.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I run an American Thunder Flowmaster system (super 44 mufflers) on my 18. The rest of the exhaust including resonator is stock. Probably 15-18% louder than stock mufflers at wot, but a big pick up in low to mid range sound. They hear you coming on trailing throttle at low speed. Very much the old school sound some people are looking for.
I went with the 10-series 1-chambers on my catless ‘13. It was horrible. They sound good on my Ram but were super raspy on the Coyote. I wish I’d have tried the 2-chamber 44’s or 40’s.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
On my 2017 GT I deleted the H-pipe, sound is only slightly louder but is deeper in tone. Sounds like maybe what you're looking for. I did notice a drone at highway speed, drove me crazy. I almost removed the H-pipe but tried removing the sound tube under the hood. Did the trick! All drone gone, only left with a deeper sound.

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I think an h-pipe is going to be the way to go. I went ahead and grabbed a Steeda h-pipe during their Black Friday sale, so fingers crossed it's what I'm looking for.

My only (minor) concern is cutting up the stock exhaust, but I'm hoping I can sort that out on my end.

Qu8Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have an H pipe on my car with the active exhaust and that is the Perfect setup. In quiet mode it's really quiet, in normal mode it really sounds good. In Sport and Track modes it sounds like a Beast.

Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I was in the same boat, ended up going with Steeda axlebacks. That was the wrong move. My neighbors are easy going, they’ve never complained about my cars, not even my Chevelle in the early mornings, with has a large cam, long tubes, and flowmaster super 40’s with no choke. But they have voiced a complaint with my mustang after the axlebacks. That initial bark is loud and raspy. I now start it with the garage door closed and open it after that initial bark.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You will like the H pipe. Gives it more of the old school sound and its cheaper than an axel back or cat back system. Like mentioned earlier, you can always change the axel back later if you want more sound.

therod785

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
on my 2015 gt, i had MBRP muffler delete and Magnaflow Tru X resonator. Good rumble and not that loud.

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I do wish I'd found a car with the active exhaust. There's just so few of them in the Northeast that aren't premium cars, but it's the one option I would've paid for.

If I could've chosen, I'd have gotten the following:

Iconic Silver GT 6spd
301A
Active Exhaust ($895)
18in 5 Spoke Wheels ($295)

Ultimately I got just the 301A package, so I can't complain. I'll just have to make it work on my own!
Sponsored