Sponsored

Deep Sleep Mode?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I never saw this on my 2016 GT but have gotten the message on my FordPass app a couple of times on my 2020 so it may be a new feature.
Sponsored

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
As per the manual- if no start 14 days plus, your battery is placed in “deep sleep mode” and from what I understand if your battery falls below a “chargeable percentage” then you need to jump start your vehicle like I did.... that’s the only way to “wake it up” - so in my case two dif. Battery tenders later didn’t do anything- no I didn’t check the voltage I jumped it let it idle for a while and now it’s sitting on a tender since last night- I’ll check it today see how she does

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
As per the manual- if no start 14 days plus, your battery is placed in “deep sleep mode” and from what I understand if your battery falls below a “chargeable percentage” then you need to jump start your vehicle like I did.... that’s the only way to “wake it up” - so in my case two dif. Battery tenders later didn’t do anything- no I didn’t check the voltage I jumped it let it idle for a while and now it’s sitting on a tender since last night- I’ll check it today see how she does
Do these battery tenders have charging status lights or some other method, that indicate if a battery is not chargeable it will let you know?

I discovered on a Deltran trickle charger that if the battery goes really low on voltage, not sure what that voltage is, the Deltran will act as if no battery is connected to it and will not charge the battery, you get a flashing yellow light. You have to use an old fashion 10 amp charger to establish a minimum voltage and then the Deltran will recognize a battery is connected.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'm pretty sure I've gotten the message even WITH the trickle charger on so I believe the 14 day rule applies on its own, regardless of voltage.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your battery is most likely toast OP, so I'd replace it. And get an AGM while you're at it :). And yes, you need to leave these damn cars connected to a smart charger all the time. They have the worst parasitic losses of any modern car I've owned. The battery gets severely discharged after a week of no use. I'm sure my car wouldn't start after 2 weeks. After replacing the stock battery with a DieHard AGM, I now leave it connected all the time. No charging or electrical issues (car is fully stock); it's just the excessive parasitic losses compared to most other cars.

Sponsored

RareBreed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody M6, 2018 F-150 Raptor, 2003 Corvette, 1998 Mustang Cobra
You are lucky you got yours started. I never bothered to plug in my battery tender over the winter, and when I went out last week mine did the same thing. The deltran tender wouldn’t recognize the battery as being connected. I tried connecting my charger/booster and everything went haywire like you described, but wouldn’t start. I removed the battery and connected my booster and it showed 95% charge, so I left it for awhile and reinstalled at 98%. Still wouldn’t start, but tender showed charging when I connected it. Left it on for a week, and after six days tender is showing not connected to battery. I’m guessing battery is done. Fortunately I work for a dealer, so I’ll bring home a battery and see if it fixes it, and if so I’ll take the old battery in to get it warranted.

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
🤦‍♂️ Technology.....

JRV1631

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium, 2021 Explorer ST
My car, and of course battery, is 8 months old. I drove it yesterday on a quick errand since I knew it would be cold this weekend. I keep a battery tender on it in the winter. It is not a DD. I’ve had need to open the doors and trunk a couple times. I received the FordPass deep sleep message. This is the third time in similar circumstances. Second time since the battery tender. I expected that addition to put an end to the issue. she always fires right up, electrical specs are fine, and it’s never been 14 days or more. Any thoughts?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
My car, and of course battery, is 8 months old. I drove it yesterday on a quick errand since I knew it would be cold this weekend. I keep a battery tender on it in the winter. It is not a DD. I’ve had need to open the doors and trunk a couple times. I received the FordPass deep sleep message. This is the third time in similar circumstances. Second time since the battery tender. I expected that addition to put an end to the issue. she always fires right up, electrical specs are fine, and it’s never been 14 days or more. Any thoughts?
The tender does not prevent the system from going into sleep mode. I have a 21 and use a tender and get the same message.

JRV1631

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. That good information to know. Then, what triggers it? It’s not low amps, climate controlled garage and less than 14 days?

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Thank you. That good information to know. Then, what triggers it? It’s not low amps, climate controlled garage and less than 14 days?
The time between using the car but probably other factors. See next post.

Last edited:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The FordPass App under Guides/Deep Sleep Mode

Deep Sleep Mode is designed to conserve battery power on your vehicle. This setting is activated when your vehicle falls under the following conditions.

Vehicle inactivity for 14 consecutive days.
The battery voltage drops below 9.5 volts.
Extremely cold weather conditions.

If your vehicle goes into Deep Sleep Mode, in order to "wake it back up" your vehicle must be started manually.
Good to know.

Manually? Ford didn't include the hand crank with mine. Just a push button.:wink:

JRV1631

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the help. But I guess I’m being thick. I see 3 conditions that trigger it, none of which exist in my situation, and the ways to wake it.

I guess I’ll add it to the list for the next service visit.
Sponsored