Decided not to take delivery

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 RR Convenience
For a number of reasons I informed my dealer that I was unable to take delivery of my 2018 GT when it arrived late next week. If anyone is interested in a lightning blue, showstopper red, nickel luster wheel fully loaded automatic let me know and I can set you up with a great deal in Atlanta.
Sponsored

OP
OP

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I was really thinking 8 weeks max and it's still not here. Then COTUS pushed out more. Plus my Fusion got scratched and my wife lost interest in driving it. Finally the depreciation rate for Ford cars is really high. Ended up buying something else that made everyone happy...

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Car scratched - don't want to drive it? How big is this scratch?

Car ordered - don't want it 'cause it's taking too long to get here? What was your expectation for ordering something not off the lot?

Cars aren't an investment. They're liabilities. But we all signed up for that.

OP
OP

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Car scratched - don't want to drive it? How big is this scratch?

Car ordered - don't want it 'cause it's taking too long to get here? What was your expectation for ordering something not off the lot?

Cars aren't an investment. They're liabilities. But we all signed up for that.

Size not really relevant unless you want to negotiate with my wife over that!
6-8 weeks and it's exceeded that
Clearly but depreciation still matters and needs to be accounted for

Plus - I pick up my S5 Sportback Saturday and it is gorgeous!!

Sponsored

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Well since you already backed out, would you mind telling us what kind of deal you had worked out, if any?

I'm trying to talk my wife into a '19 w/ A10, but the combo she would want I can't find, so it will end up being an order. But no way I'm paying MSRP.
Trying to determine, here in GA especially, what kind of deal I can try and swindle even on an order.

OP
OP

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure anything German depreciates faster than anything on Earth.
Nothing could depreciate faster than my Fusion - 36 sticker to 17 trade in value in 10 months!!

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Well since you already backed out, would you mind telling us what kind of deal you had worked out, if any?

I'm trying to talk my wife into a '19 w/ A10, but the combo she would want I can't find, so it will end up being an order. But no way I'm paying MSRP.
Trying to determine, here in GA especially, what kind of deal I can try and swindle even on an order.
Honestly, if you are a Costco member, their auto purchase program is pretty good. Typically, they will negotiate a deal with a particular local dealer in a metro area. Here in KC, we can walk into that dealer and order any Ford product for $500 under invoice with no additional fees (doc fees, etc.). That is considerably less than X Plan which is invoice less 0.4% plus $275. While I didn't end up ordering through this particular dealer because it was quite a bit farther away from me, I used that offer to negotiate with my local dealer to get a little over $700 below invoice. It is always a good fall back plan if you can't negotiate a better deal. All incentives available are still yours and reduce this price.

OP
OP

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)

PM sent. It was a heck of deal!!

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Nothing could depreciate faster than my Fusion - 36 sticker to 17 trade in value in 10 months!!
That's why I've been leasing Fusions since '09. My Mustang is a necessary toy.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
That’s why you should always buy Fusions used or a leftover at $7k off. Paying $30k for any fusion is a bad move. unless it’s a Sport and those can be had for $30k.

OP
OP

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
That’s why you should always buy Fusions used or a leftover at $7k off. Paying $30k for any fusion is a bad move. unless it’s a Sport and those can be had for $30k.
Yeah I learned that the hard way. The car is such a great value for the money that I figured it would hold reasonable value. Not a smart call.

glmarker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang premium Mach 1 FJG and 1964.5 Mustang
Honestly, if you are a Costco member, their auto purchase program is pretty good. Typically, they will negotiate a deal with a particular local dealer in a metro area. Here in KC, we can walk into that dealer and order any Ford product for $500 under invoice with no additional fees (doc fees, etc.). That is considerably less than X Plan which is invoice less 0.4% plus $275. While I didn't end up ordering through this particular dealer because it was quite a bit farther away from me, I used that offer to negotiate with my local dealer to get a little over $700 below invoice. It is always a good fall back plan if you can't negotiate a better deal. All incentives available are still yours and reduce this price.
Silver Bullitt, I think you made a math error re 0.4% for X plan. I just relooked at my deal and X plan was worth 5.2%. Big difference between 0.4% and 5.2%. Which took a 53K sticker Mustang down to $50k. No way could $500 off sticker beat that. Plus, I still get to use any other rebates and discounts available. Gary

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I learned that the hard way. The car is such a great value for the money that I figured it would hold reasonable value. Not a smart call.
I'd imagine, on average, a Ford car in that price range will be $5000-$8000 off for most purchases. So resale isn't great when comparing it to sticker. Especially on trade in, people only want SUVs right now so the sedan second hand market has taken a nasty hit.

I really hope you didn't buy that S5 new. You are going to be incredibly upset in a few years. The depreciation of that car over 3 years will probably be similar to the entire cost of a base GT.

My buddy works for BMW and picked up a brand new M4. Sticker on the car was $74,000, his employee deal got it for $64,000. He wasn't happy with the car or the price and ended up selling it. His place of employment offered him $55k. He ended up getting lucky and found a used car dealer that had a car he wanted for sale for a good price. After quite a bit of negotiation they offered him $59,000 for it, so he took it.

He didn't even own it for 6 months, and if I remember correctly, it had just barely 4k miles on it.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Silver Bullitt, I think you made a math error re 0.4% for X plan. I just relooked at my deal and X plan was worth 5.2%. Big difference between 0.4% and 5.2%. Which took a 53K sticker Mustang down to $50k. No way could $500 off sticker beat that. Plus, I still get to use any other rebates and discounts available. Gary
He said invoice. Not sticker. And other discounts are still available.
Sponsored