Sponsored

Dear Mustang Tire Snobs.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
you need better friends. Or better car meets. Or here's a thought - take the time spent yakking in a parking lot (regardless of feeling small) and go drive the damn car in the fabulous hills and twisty roads you have in every compass direction?
+1 "ya'll know what Momma said? Shut up and...drive!" dman

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
There are tire snobs, exhaust snobs, car wash snobs, winter storage snobs, window tint snobs, take your pick of mod, and someone will bash you for it because you didn't do what they thought you should have. I don't have time for that kind of b.s. Hell, I barley have enough time to play with the car. I'm sure as hell not gonna worry about what some internet or car show yahoo says about what tire I bought, what exhaust I bought or how I store my car (no. 2 from the Winter Storage thread btw, and go ahead and flame me for that if you must). If my tires or whatever are so bad, and you have the need to tell me how wrong am I am, then by all means, correct my problem. Meet me at the nearest tire store and have whatever you think is best mounted up. Just make sure you smile when you pay for them!

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
Mine came with PS4's stock....They're definitely not overkill and outperform most every daily driving tire in dry and wet conditions and they're sticky to boot. I'd never buy Pirellis since they are spin city all day from a launch. To each thier own!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There are tire snobs, exhaust snobs, car wash snobs, winter storage snobs, window tint snobs, take your pick of mod, and someone will bash you for it because you didn't do what they thought you should have. I don't have time for that kind of b.s. Hell, I barley have enough time to play with the car. I'm sure as hell not gonna worry about what some internet or car show yahoo says about what tire I bought, what exhaust I bought or how I store my car (no. 2 from the Winter Storage thread btw, and go ahead and flame me for that if you must). If my tires or whatever are so bad, and you have the need to tell me how wrong am I am, then by all means, correct my problem. Meet me at the nearest tire store and have whatever you think is best mounted up. Just make sure you smile when you pay for them!
You are spot on. I taught my kids the following when they were teens; "what other people think of me if none of my business". They are both now in the 40's and they teaching my grandchildren the same thing. The other rule I learned from my parents. If you cannot find something nice to say shut the "F" up.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There are other good tires out there other than going broke buying Michelin ps4 or cup2 tires. Not everyone is or inspires to be a racecar driver. And for daily driving around town at speeds less than 50 MPH 90% of the time big fancy expensive tires are not needed. I say this cause more then once, basically every car meet, "what tires you got?" I honestly don't care. I think they are 297 r57/27 ws/400s rated for light speed...its like they are speaking code. But the second I don't say I have one of the 2 most expensive consumer tires I get shunned like I just said I have ebola. Guess what I have pzero nero tires I paid 150 each for and guess what they hold a corner, I don't lose traction and I don't have wheel hop. and they do just fine in freezing weather. Matter of fact i go on cruises with people who have the big fancy tires and guess what I keep up just fine and don't lose traction. I guess I get tired of the if you don't buy the most expensive of whatever it is elitism in these crowds, you are nothing. I mean yeah a good name brand tire, I wouldn't buy a walmart rabbit brand made by zippo tires. But perilli , firestone, and any other big brand company tires are just fine as long as proper tire for environment.

I say well I Have good tires and they are a 3rd the price... Then I get the whole well safety and blah blah blah blah... yeah cause the news and car scene are just full of people who just wreck the second they drive anything not made by Michelin. It's Not just tires. What gas you use/ oil/ if you don't use mobile 1 and top tier 93 ultra made of gold gas you are sent to the other side of the parking lot to think about your choices. just gets old...rant over LOL.
I haven't read past post #1 yet, but I think part of your problem is the company you're keeping. Car meets and shows are mostly about SHOWING OFF what you have, and comparisons like you mention inevitably happen. What I've picked up from just wandering through a couple of shows a year is that if your car differs much from "local conventions" - and isn't an over-the-top build that commands respect, the established guys are going to look down at you.

Chances are that few, if any, of those who snub you over your tire choice shunning actually drive hard enough to where even the differences between a set of PS4S's and a set of non-G2 spec NT555's would be anything they'd ever notice on their own. If they even knew what to be on the lookout for. Most drivers fall into that category, including them. The only difference being that they've read and memorized the descriptions provided at places like Tire Rack.

My personal thoughts concerning tire choice . . . pick as much performance capability as you can afford (stretch a little if you have to) and let every other consideration become tie-breakers - if tie-breaking becomes necessary.

For years I actively avoided Michelins (think 1970's up through at least the mid-2000's), in favor of Pirellis, Goodyears, and a set of Dunlops. Had one good experience with Falken (RT615) and one unsatisfactory experience (ZE512).

Norm

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I am, then by all means, correct my problem. Meet me at the nearest tire store and have whatever you think is best mounted up. Just make sure you smile when you pay for them!
Hell, I'll let you put your arm around my shoulders, look with pity into my eyes and say "see, these are proper tires son" as you sign the chit.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
What gas you use/ oil/ if you don't use mobile 1 and top tier 93 ultra made of gold gas you are sent to the other side of the parking lot to think about your choices. just gets old...rant over LOL.
I love to see the reactions when I tell people I use Super Tech Full Synthetic 5w30. What? Walmart brand? Why would you use that crap?

Last I checked, Super Tech is rebranded Conoco, so yeah, horrible stuff. And the reason I use it is because I get 5 qts of full synthetic oil for $17.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So 95% of the replies to my post have totally missed the point. So according to you and others the only tire in existence that anyone should buy period it Michelin? I never said anyone should buy cheap tires. And it's not about being trolled over so called inferior tires... my point was the Michelin elites tire snobs who treat anyone that doesn't buy the most expensive tire as if they are dirt.
I'm afraid that when you use a specific example to illustrate your point about elitism, it's hard to avoid sounding like you're actively "anti-elitist" and doing a little putting-down of your own [of those who despite the additional cost and not using anywhere near the performance available from them - chose a top-shelf, top-$ tires solely for the bragging value].

You have, however, identified one of the reasons why I've only entered one car show/meet and haven't bothered going back. I'm sure I could hold my own (and find fault with their rides in return), but the whole thing just isn't worth my time.

Norm

Last edited:

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
I get where you’re coming from but with the PS4S tires you are getting the best street tire available. You might be able to hang at .9G but what about beyond that? How do your tires perform in the wet? I’m lucky to live near some great roads and tracks where you need a tire that can hold up to 1.5 G. If you’re into spirited driving then you can’t go wrong with a set of PS4S. The Pirelli summers that came on my car were great but the Michelins are better. That said if you’re just commuting, there’s nothing wrong with a set of all seasons.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I love to see the reactions when I tell people I use Super Tech Full Synthetic 5w30. What? Walmart brand? Why would you use that crap?

Last I checked, Super Tech is rebranded Conoco, so yeah, horrible stuff. And the reason I use it is because I get 5 qts of full synthetic oil for $17.
Ah yes, the difference between being cheap and being smart. You sir, are obviously the latter.:like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I haven't read past post #1 yet, but I think part of your problem is the company you're keeping. Car meets and shows are mostly about SHOWING OFF what you have, and comparisons like you mention inevitably happen. What I've picked up from just wandering through a couple of shows a year is that if your car differs much from "local conventions" - and isn't an over-the-top build that commands respect, the established guys are going to look down at you.

Chances are that few, if any, of those who snub you over your tire choice shunning actually drive hard enough to where even the differences between a set of PS4S's and a set of non-G2 spec NT555's would be anything they'd ever notice on their own. If they even knew what to be on the lookout for. Most drivers fall into that category, including them. The only difference being that they've read and memorized the descriptions provided at places like Tire Rack.

My personal thoughts concerning tire choice . . . pick as much performance capability as you can afford (stretch a little if you have to) and let every other consideration become tie-breakers - if tie-breaking becomes necessary.

For years I actively avoided Michelins (think 1970's up through at least the mid-2000's), in favor of Pirellis, Goodyears, and a set of Dunlops. Had one good experience with Falken (RT615) and one unsatisfactory experience (ZE512).

Norm
Come on Norm, it's only 9 pages and we changed the conversation from tire to drinking. Much more fun.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I get where you’re coming from but with the PS4S tires you are getting the best street tire available. You might be able to hang at .9G but what about beyond that? How do your tires perform in the wet? I’m lucky to live near some great roads and tracks where you need a tire that can hold up to 1.5 G. If you’re into spirited driving then you can’t go wrong with a set of PS4S. The Pirelli summers that came on my car were great but the Michelins are better. That said if you’re just commuting, there’s nothing wrong with a set of all seasons.
I think we all got off track here at the beginning. OP's gripe was about meeting up with folks who looked down on him for not having PS4/Cup 2's. They probably would have looked down on somebody with AS3's as well. As has been said many times over, snobs are snobs, period. Just stay away from them.

I do have one question. What did you do to your Mustang where you need tires that can handle 1.5g? :)

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
What did I do to it? I took it to the track and drove like hell. Pretty much a stock PP1.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Come on Norm, it's only 9 pages and we changed the conversation from tire to drinking. Much more fun.
I hadn't got far enough down the thread to notice the change from air-filled containers to liquid-filled containers.

Whether the containers might be inanimate or human in nature, or the contents hot or otherwise :cwl:

Norm
Sponsored