Dealership Tire Swap? Summer tire to All Season

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Due to recent events, I might be in the market for a new vehicle and am looking at a few PP models on dealer lots in the area. Since it is officially winter here in Maryland (snow possible sunday), summer only tires are not going to be a good option for a daily.... I am just curious if anyone has tried or has had any luck in getting a dealership to substitute summer only tires on a new vehicle for a set of all-season tires before driving off the lot? It would be nice to have this done before driving off the lot instead of immediately buying all seasons from tire rack.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Due to recent events, I might be in the market for a new vehicle and am looking at a few PP models on dealer lots in the area. Since it is officially winter here in Maryland (snow possible sunday), summer only tires are not going to be a good option for a daily.... I am just curious if anyone has tried or has had any luck in getting a dealership to substitute summer only tires on a new vehicle for a set of all-season tires before driving off the lot? It would be nice to have this done before driving off the lot instead of immediately buying all seasons from tire rack.
No, the dealer will not change the tires. But they will sell you other tires if you want to pay for them.

I don't know what part of Maryland you're in, but I work in D.C. just south of the Maryland boarder, and live just across the river in Virginia, and I've DD'd my PP car with OEM tires for several years now.

Granted, if there is snow on the road, I stay home. But in this area it only snows like a few times a year. I've missed 3 days of work in the last 4 years or so.

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
I was in the same boat. No snow or ice so far in DFW, but several sub-freezing days, which will harden the rubber on the summer tires and you'll get a lot less traction. I just replaced them with a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and have the Sport 4S tires stored in my garage and will swap them back in the Spring. So far I don't notice any difference performance-wise with the A/S tires. Keep an eye out for Michelin specials at Costco. I got my set for around $970 out the door.

CincyS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I work at a Chevy dealership, and we have people do this sometimes with Corvettes. Usually the customer ends up paying for the tires though, or they just throw them into the deal.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO all season tires are basically no season tires - at least for performance use. I would avoid all season tires if at all possible. If you want to drive in snow/ice, get some good snow tires for when it's cold and snowy. Use high performance summer tires the rest of the year.

Frankly I think NovaGT is doing it right if you rarely get ice and snow in your area. I use my Michelin Pilot SS tires down into the 20s as long as there isn't a bunch of snow and ice on the road.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Or just get an old beater to drive when the weather tells you the mustang can't play. It'll cost about the same in the long run to be honest.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Or just get an old beater to drive when the weather tells you the mustang can't play. It'll cost about the same in the long run to be honest.
Maybe in the 90s that was true. Vehicles aren't that cheap anymore - unless you buy something that doesn't work and fix it yourself.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
IMO all season tires are basically no season tires - at least for performance use. I would avoid all season tires if at all possible. If you want to drive in snow/ice, get some good snow tires for when it's cold and snowy. Use high performance summer tires the rest of the year.

Frankly I think NovaGT is doing it right if you rarely get ice and snow in your area. I use my Michelin Pilot SS tires down into the 20s as long as there isn't a bunch of snow and ice on the road.
A/S tires don't have warnings in the Owner's Manual not to use them below 40F. And they are cheaper than Bondo and new paint.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You could always have the All Seasons negotiated into your deal - see if they’ll work on the price of a new set of tires and get it worked into the final price of the vehicle.

Then tell them you want the original tires to take with you - list them for sale for a fair price less than what the current market value is for them on Tire Rack and like sites... you’ll defintley sell them...

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I bought a set of Blizzak LM-32's from a forum member here. Had the dealer mount them when car came in. Best thing I've ever done. Car drives great and I'll probably buy another set of rims to mount the summers on in the spring. Don't waste your $$ on AS.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A/S tires don't have warnings in the Owner's Manual not to use them below 40F. And they are cheaper than Bondo and new paint.
But all seasons are also crappy in both winter and summer. Not that great for either.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
In years past I've bought Blizzaks for the winter. However, with the mild winters we get here of maybe 2-5 days I'd have to drive on snow I decided on AS3+ for my winter set. So much better than Blizzak for our winters (except rare snow) and shockingly little warm compromise from PS4S...my summer tire.

Anyone who thinks all season is no season like I did really ought to try the latest generation like the AS3+.

I do have other car snow options, worst case. If I 100% had to be somewhere in my Mustang or lived much further north then I might buy Blizzaks again. Suffer all the road noise and soft handling again for months just to kind of hope for snow.

OP, the dealer will negotiate with you. IMHO, keep the summer tires for summer wheels or they are an easy resell of $6-700.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
That is the problem with Maryland winters. Does not get cold enough or snow enough for detected winter tires to be useful but does get cold enough for summer tires to have issues. I have found all seasons to be a good balance for the winters and daily driving.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
You could do what I did, find a nice set of factory wheels off Craigslist, find a nice set of winter non studded tires off of Craigslist, add tpms if needed, and have them mounted and balanced and run them for a few months of the year. They work better in rain also. Cheaper than a rental car and your insurance deductible if you were to get in a crash due to your summer tires. And they can be used for many years. And you get to drive your baby in the winter. Better safe than sorry.
Sponsored