Sponsored

Dealers Not Negotiating Anymore!?

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
I've been attempting to talk with dealers out as far as 75 miles for about two weeks now. This is far from my first rodeo with negotiating. That being said, this feels different. Dealers used to send numbers. They emailed pretty quickly and were cordial. Everyone has been rude, late or disinterested in making car sales. Nothing has changed and for the most part, I'm generally easy going. I thought maybe it was just one dealer, but then that became several until everyone I've dealt with has either been rude, not shown numbers, or used the same BS tactics ("This dealer is just hiding numbers from you, we can't match that.")

Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps I'm penny pinching, but I have a hard time paying 2-4k off MSRP for a 2018 leftover model when 2019s are out, it's nearing winter and I've seen TONS get good deals (Also NADA and USAA backs these claims).
Sponsored

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT, PP/Prem
I've run into a situation in my searching where a member of the local mustang page that works at a dealer offers to hook me up with a great deal, then find that they offer me the car for exactly the price on line. Since I'm trading in a car I get told all kinds of stuff to get me in the door only to find out they were full of crap and leave empty handed. I truly believe that the dealer strategy is that if they get you in they can talk you into anything.

95civic2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What exactly are you looking for and where are you located? When looking for mine (2 months ago), dealers within 100 miles were offering more than 2-4K off. I believe I seen a base GT around 6-7k off.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
The first 2019 I looked at was a very off putting experience. They had 1 still new 2017 on the lot and a few 2018's and just one 2019. Test drove it, salesman seemed okay, however I wasn't decided if I wasn't the Prem. or not. We were on vacation and returning from a road trip and were about 150 miles away from our house. When we got to talk price it was MSRP plus fee's. I believe you should make a reasonable offer from the start. I get folks want to make money but it's a Mustang GT for crying out loud and you have a 17 and a few 18's on the lot. We left and last I looked the car was still on the lot.

Drove over 100 miles the other direction and bought the PP2 Mustang. The salesman wasn't perfect however I think their first offer was reasonable and the one we settled on f

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
The first 2019 I looked at was a very off putting experience. They had 1 still new 2017 on the lot and a few 2018's and just one 2019. Test drove it, salesman seemed okay, however I wasn't decided if I wasn't the Prem. or not. We were on vacation and returning from a road trip and were about 150 miles away from our house. When we got to talk price it was MSRP plus fee's. I believe you should make a reasonable offer from the start. I get folks want to make money but it's a Mustang GT for crying out loud and you have a 17 and a few 18's on the lot. We left and last I looked the car was still on the lot.

Drove over 100 miles the other direction and bought the PP2 Mustang. The salesman wasn't perfect however I think their first offer was reasonable and the one we settled on f
Consider joining Costco for $50. Their car buying program gets you around $1100 off Dealer Invoice (not MSRP) on 2019 model Mustang GT’s and I belive something like $1800 off on 2018’s. In other words the price you paid is dealer invoice minus the discount provided by Costco. The sales reps at the dealership are required to show you MSRP, the dealer invoice, as well as the Costco pricing discount sheet. It’s all very transparent. Extremely easy process. On top of those discounts you also get whatever programs Ford is currently running like customer cash or military discount or student or first responder, etc. also can combine with financing offers. Once you are a Cosco member, you just call their car buying program desk and they will tell you the closest dealer that is authorized for the make and model you’re looking to purchase.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've been attempting to talk with dealers out as far as 75 miles for about two weeks now. This is far from my first rodeo with negotiating. That being said, this feels different. Dealers used to send numbers. They emailed pretty quickly and were cordial. Everyone has been rude, late or disinterested in making car sales. Nothing has changed and for the most part, I'm generally easy going. I thought maybe it was just one dealer, but then that became several until everyone I've dealt with has either been rude, not shown numbers, or used the same BS tactics ("This dealer is just hiding numbers from you, we can't match that.")

Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps I'm penny pinching, but I have a hard time paying 2-4k off MSRP for a 2018 leftover model when 2019s are out, it's nearing winter and I've seen TONS get good deals (Also NADA and USAA backs these claims).
I bought '18 from North Carolina dealer (there were no cars left here optioned this way and in the color I wanted - PP1, magnaride, ruby red) at $3.5k off x-plan price with a decent trade in price ($500 above average KBB trade in for a "very good" condition). Just to give you a benchmark... No idea why dealers here aren't receptive to negotiations, I assume you can get at least x-plan with Mustang Club of America membership...

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Consider joining Costco for $50. Their car buying program gets you around $1100 off Dealer Invoice (not MSRP) on 2019 model Mustang GT’s and I belive something like $1800 off on 2018’s. In other words the price you paid is dealer invoice minus the discount provided by Costco. The sales reps at the dealership are required to show you MSRP, the dealer invoice, as well as the Costco pricing discount sheet. It’s all very transparent. Extremely easy process. On top of those discounts you also get whatever programs Ford is currently running like customer cash or military discount or student or first responder, etc. also can combine with financing offers. Once you are a Cosco member, you just call their car buying program desk and they will tell you the closest dealer that is authorized for the make and model you’re looking to purchase.

Would this beat even X Plan!?

I've messaged about a dozen dealers and the deals aren't close to anything I've seen on here. As soon as I try to negotiate they just stop responding and I move on.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Would this beat even X Plan!?

I've messaged about a dozen dealers and the deals aren't close to anything I've seen on here. As soon as I try to negotiate they just stop responding and I move on.
Go see them in person. No dealer will negotiate over email - unfortunately. At least here. $1,800 off invoice is below x-plan I think... So the costco thing might be worth it.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Try the Costco route. Find the dealer who works with Costco and talk to them. The discount is eye watering.

Dealers need volume and Costco gives it to them.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
My experience is to go in person; I went to 3. 1 played ball and set the bar high. Another talked a good game but the deal had a lot of holes that could easily make the deal invalid by the time it arrive. The 3rd one talked a good game but never followed up even after I called them and left messages.

Guess which one I purchased from?

Guess which one I'm looking at buying from when I go after getting a Ranger/Bronco/F150?

Easy.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I drive to Houston from Baton Rouge to buy new cars. They will deal in Houston. Plus my parents live there. So it's a road trip to mom and dads and I get a deal.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Not just sales anymore, what is even more important itls finding that needle in a haystack of a service shop thqt isnt full of a bunch of dipshits. Ex. Lithia Ford who drops wheels face down and scuffs up black wheels. Who the hell does that!? Its such a rookie mistake and simply wreckless!

After my yellow 2016 got totaled In August I drove 80 miles to Fargo to

1. not have to deal with the clowns at Lithia and

2. the 2018 A10 I replaced the 2016 with was almost 6k under MSRP.

Winters coming especially up here in ND!! I prolly left some money on the table but I went in saying these are the numbers I was paying on the 2016 beat those figures and Ill drive it home.

The 2018 is equipped the same as previous car minus the shaker audio. Its a 2018 White A10 and they had zero problem making the sale happen.

So in the end USAA and my GAP wiped out the term of the 2016 I basically walked away from that car. It got replaced with a car 2 years newer with gen3 engine A10 trans and 32 miles on it when i left the lot.

I couldnt be happier.

As for the OP keep searching. If it takes flying amd driving home do it. Mine was about 6k under MSRP for a 2018 premium package 401A car TTL all said and done.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
When I negotiated my deal in August the X-plan discount was worth about $2200 or so. Dealer said they usually match that anyway, but dealers like the x-pan because Ford re-imburses them on fees; you only pay $100 or so. There was a $1500 incentive that expired Oct 1st, so we locked that in.Salesman said not everyone takes it because you have choice of getting lower interest rate. If you're borrowing a lot, it might make sense. The good part was, I had a "certificate" that came in the mail offering $1500 off if I bought an existing 18 off the lot. I never even thought about it because I was ordering a 19. Salesman said "call customer service, tell them you're a good customer, and you tried to find an 18 but couldn't.". Lady put me over to marketing, where they actually had me in their computer system. they know who's shopping for Fords by following your computer action. She told salesman how to get me the discount on a 19 ( use an existing VIN # from a similiar car on the lot, then switch when my car comes in. Altogether I saved about $5200. Pays to work with an honest dealer who you know.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I have never seen the Costco discount that deep. $400 to $600 below invoice is typical. It is a no hassle type of deal and can also be a good starting point for negotiating knowing you can always fall back on the Costco price. Not all dealers participate in the Costco program. X-plan comes out to about $100 over invoice (depending on the total invoice price). X-plan is a predetermined formula, invoice less 0.4% + $275. Dealer fees are limited to $100 with X-plan. You should always be able to beat X-plan.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Let your fingers do the clicking, Adkins Ford in Winder GA and Brandon Ford in Tampa FL. Time for road trip?
Sponsored