Sponsored

Dealer Says I Can't Rotate Wheels/Tires With Square Setup

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So I can rotate only I have to take all of the tires off the wheels and then swap the front tires to the rear and visa versa. Seems silly to me but it is what it is. Next time I'll know.
Right. That's your best bet, just pay for a tire dismount/remount. You only really need to do it once, mid-way through the life of the tires. Sucks, but its cheaper than buying a new pair of wheels. (I have to do that with my race tires and staggered PP wheels to get the most out of the tires)
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Well hold on here. [MENTION=21756]Azzurro[/MENTION], find out and post here your exact offsets, and then we can advise you better.

For example, say he sold you two ET35 for the front and two ET42 for the rear. You could simply use 1/4" spacers with the ET42 wheels all the time, no matter if you put them on the rear or the front. IOW, the spacers make the higher offset wheels have the same offset as the other pair.

Now, it is true that it is the hubs "offset" on our cars that are not equal. That is to say, the same wheel will not line up under front and back fenders the same. It takes an extra spacer of about 1/4" in the front to make them look the same.

In my personal case, I run 9.5" wide rims with 35mm offset all the way 'round, but I keep a pair of 5mm spacers on my front hubs all the time. Those give me a little more dust cap clearance, and make the fender alignment look equal front and back.

Understand?

Another approach is that you could have the lower offset hubs' back-pads machined down to match the other pair. (But this does not prevent the need for spacers. It just means you can keep the spacers with the hubs instead of with the wheels.) If you are near the LA area, then any of the wheel vendors here could point you to their custom wheel machine shop.

HTH

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Well hold on here. [MENTION=21756]Azzurro[/MENTION], find out and post here your exact offsets, and then we can advise you better.

For example, say he sold you two ET35 for the front and two ET42 for the rear. You could simply use 1/4" spacers with the ET42 wheels all the time, no matter if you put them on the rear or the front. IOW, the spacers make the higher offset wheels have the same offset as the other pair.

Now, it is true that it is the hubs "offset" on our cars that are not equal. That is to say, the same wheel will not line up under front and back fenders the same. It takes an extra spacer of about 1/4" in the front to make them look the same.

In my personal case, I run 9.5" wide rims with 35mm offset all the way 'round, but I keep a pair of 5mm spacers on my front hubs all the time. Those give me a little more dust cap clearance, and make the fender alignment look equal front and back.

Understand?

Another approach is that you could have the lower offset hubs' back-pads machined down to match the other pair. (But this does not prevent the need for spacers. It just means you can keep the spacers with the hubs instead of with the wheels.) If you are near the LA area, then any of the wheel vendors here could point you to their custom wheel machine shop.

HTH
This is true, however if it is more then a 5 mm difference ( which it shouldnt be I believe) then a spacer wont allow the proper amount of turns on the lugs after 5 mm.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
This is true, however if it is more then a 5 mm difference ( which it shouldnt be I believe) then a spacer wont allow the proper amount of turns on the lugs after 5 mm.
Based on the Avant Garde M590 wheel specs 19x9.5 come +43 and +33.

Edit: Never mind. There is also a +40. I guess it depends on the bolt pattern.

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I started with 1/4" [7mm] spacers up front and counted 7 turns on the studs, so I'd say 1/4" is still OK. However, this depends on the back-pad again.

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I started with 1/4" [7mm] spacers up front and counted 7 turns on the studs, so I'd say 1/4" is still OK. However, this depends on the back-pad again.
Correct

Based on the Avant Garde M590 wheel specs 19x9.5 come +43 and +33.

Edit: Never mind. There is also a +40. I guess it depends on the bolt pattern.
Correct that is their preset offsets, they also do their bespoke fitment which means they can cut them from blanks and drill the pcd as well.

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
My dealer said the same for my PP wheels. I said you can't rotate them side to side, he just shrugged his shoulders and handed me my keys! Am I missing something here, I'm pretty sure the stock P-zeros aren't directional...

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
My dealer said the same for my PP wheels. I said you can't rotate them side to side, he just shrugged his shoulders and handed me my keys! Am I missing something here, I'm pretty sure the stock P-zeros aren't directional...
GT pp cars have different widths 19" x 9"(f) 19" x 9.5" (r) and tire sizes. So yeah, the beauty of staggered wheels.

OP
OP
Azzurro

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
I need to email again tomorrow to ask what the offsets are. They did tell me they'd only charge me $40 to take all the tires off then swap the fronts for the rears but I have to drive a couple hours.

I'm not sure its worth it considering the Pirelli probably won't last much longer. I have 7500 pn the stock Pirellis & them I'm going to a better tire. Probably Michelin PSS so maybe I'll just wait until I get these and then have them rotated after 10,000 miles or so since they are more costly tires.

I've learned a LOT from this and appreciate the help and comments here, thank you all.

Sponsored

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
GT pp cars have different widths 19" x 9"(f) 19" x 9.5" (r) and tire sizes. So yeah, the beauty of staggered wheels.
Right...but back to my original question, they couldn't rotate to opposite sides??

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Right...but back to my original question, they couldn't rotate to opposite sides??
Good point as I have the ecoboost PP with P Zeros and thats a square set up and I was told i could rotate those tires.

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
A true meaning of tire rotation is having a diagonal swap from back to front and vice - versa. opposite direction would not make sense as in exchanging the rears from left to right and vice versa and it's not possible with directional tires anyway.

OP
OP
Azzurro

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
So my offsets are:

19 x 9.5" +40 in the front
19 X 9.5" +25 in the rear

I guess if this looks better I'm Ok with it but why would it look better than having the offsets the same? Just trying to learn for next time. I just feel like these guys didn't really listen to what I was trying to do and maybe it doesn't really matter anyway?

Thanks
Sponsored