Sponsored

DCT 7 Speed Transmission

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
I've read that the DCT 7 speed used in the Shelby GT500 may be used across all Mustang models. Is the DCT 7 speed a better alternative than the 10 speed automatic? Also, how different is the DCT 7 speed from the Power Shift 6 speed which was also a dual clutch automatic but had all of the problems?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I don't know where you heard that, but I doubt it very much. It's an expensive transmission that would push the cost of the Ecoboost and GT even higher.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned Porsche and BMW DCTs and they are not that much different than the A10. They shift a little faster manually, but it isn't worth getting excited about. Every transmission has it's own characteristics you need to get used to. The only fault I have with the A10 is 8 gears would be more than enough.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've read that the DCT 7 speed used in the Shelby GT500 may be used across all Mustang models....
Lots of things "may be used" across all Mustang models.

AWD.
Turbos.
Electric motors.
Chinchilla seats.

Lots of things "may" end up in a Mustang...at some point.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Where they are "way better" than the A10 is on track, they don't have the heat issues to the extent that the old slushboxes do.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For people like me who like to drive autos only in manual mode with paddles, there's a world of difference between a DCT and a slushbox. But if you just like to put it in D, the regular auto is much cheaper, and less complex, and probably lighter too. Most folks wouldn't notice much of a difference. In fact, many might even label the DCT as harsh, and/or clunky. Finally, I don't think Ford would ever put it on the Mustang :).
Sponsored