Sponsored

Dash cams

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
Curious how you guys are all mounting dahs-cams on the S550 and where are you wiring in to?

I have a basic Vantrue cam, in my STi I just tapped into a fuse inside the car but am curious if anyone has done anything cleaner on the S550.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Colin1337

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get a blendmount and tap into the rear view mirror
Never heard of that. Pretty clean looking, too bad they only offer s mount for BlackVue cameras

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
But if you already have a radar detector wires that way (like myself), then you'd need something else. That's why I'm considering a dash cam with good battery life, so I don't have to hardwire it at all. And in long trips, maybe use the charge cord if needed, but I think I'd turn it off on the highway, where it's extremely unlikely anything would happen that needs recording.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have a Vantrue N4. I just have all of the wires for the front and rear running through the pillars and headliners. cant see them. I'm using the stock plug. Hid the 98% of the wire in the panel. I tried mirror tapping 2 different dash cams in the past, but it caused radio interference so wasnt going to try it with this one, plus it uses a type c usb not mini or micro. I thought about going the odb route or just hard wiring it, but the way I have it works. Its just no good if I want it for parking mode.

Sponsored

Bullittproof16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Guard Green
I really like my Nexar dash cam. It's very affordable, syncs to my phone by itself, and hasn't failed me yet. I did buy a hardwire kit and suction cup mount to suit my needs. I highly recommend them!

OP
OP
Colin1337

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Vantrue N4. I just have all of the wires for the front and rear running through the pillars and headliners. cant see them. I'm using the stock plug. Hid the 98% of the wire in the panel. I tried mirror tapping 2 different dash cams in the past, but it caused radio interference so wasnt going to try it with this one, plus it uses a type c usb not mini or micro. I thought about going the odb route or just hard wiring it, but the way I have it works. Its just no good if I want it for parking mode.
Sounds like my best bet is just tapping into a fuse to keep parking mode enabled. I wish there was a cleaner mounting solution. The rear view mirror stem doesn't appear long enough to attach one of the rear view mounts

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sounds like my best bet is just tapping into a fuse to keep parking mode enabled. I wish there was a cleaner mounting solution. The rear view mirror stem doesn't appear long enough to attach one of the rear view mounts
Fuse is the best way, but running it to your odb is another option. I know Vantrue makes a cable where it auto shuts off if the battery voltage drops below a certain level. I'm actually thinking about getting it.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
But if you already have a radar detector wires that way (like myself), then you'd need something else. That's why I'm considering a dash cam with good battery life, so I don't have to hardwire it at all. And in long trips, maybe use the charge cord if needed, but I think I'd turn it off on the highway, where it's extremely unlikely anything would happen that needs recording.
Bad idea, if you start playing the game of having to charge it/turn it off and on, eventually it's not going to be running when you need it. Anything other than a hardwired install that needs no manual intervention is a mistake IMO.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's a good point. But if you don't want to go thru the trouble of doing that, a battery operated one might be better than nothing, no? :D Plus it can be swapped between vehicles. Have never had, nor needed one up to this point, and working from home makes me much less likely of needing one in the future. Wanted it when we travel to high traffic places, like Austin, etc.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Windshield mount and hard wire to the fuse box is the way to go. Clean look and the camera is not noticeable. Mine mounted behind the RV mirror on the passenger side, I cannot see it from the drivers seat which I prefer. The only bit of exposed cable is what you see in the pics below.

Using the car battery for PM will work, just not for an extended period of time, depending on what PM's your camera offers and the amount of activity nearby. My dual cam system would only record for 3-4 hours in PM before the battery protection shut it off. I park in high traffic lot at work so it was recording often(I use motion detection). I ended up getting a Cellink Neo, pricey but it works well, recharges fast and powers the both cam's in PM for 24-36 hours. I installed the Neo in the glove box.

50168081277_36557ac9d4_c.jpg

48607789477_3c6f81a6b3_c.jpg

Hbassi5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hardeep
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I have Thinkware FA200 and I’m using obd hardwire Option they offer because I didn’t want to mess with fuses. It’s been about 3 weeks and So far it’s working great. I did want a obd wire with button where I can turn power off and parking mode off when my car is parked at home in the garage but thinkware doesn’t offer that.
image.jpg

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I have Thinkware FA200 and I’m using obd hardwire Option they offer because I didn’t want to mess with fuses. It’s been about 3 weeks and So far it’s working great. I did want a obd wire with button where I can turn power off and parking mode off when my car is parked at home in the garage but thinkware doesn’t offer that.
Maybe something like this will give you what you want? https://www.amazon.com/bbfly-A6-Spl...ix=obd+on+off+,aps,268&sr=8-3#customerReviews

No personal experience with this particular product.

Hbassi5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hardeep
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT