Sponsored

Anyone in FL (or high temp states) using dash cams that withstand the heat?

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've used dash cams in the past only for the heat to destroy them. A lot have capacitors that they say can within stand high temps, but even that doesnt seem to always be enough. Anyone else in FL or other high temp states using a certain cam that holds up?
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Last edited by a moderator:

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I've not had any trouble with dash cam.
However, if I leave my iphone in the console when I go visit my Mom,
it'll always have a thermometer in the display when I leave and the
phone reads; "TOO DAMN HOT!!!"

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
so far my viofo 119 2020 version is working awesome. but i don't leave it in the car. the mount stays attached to the windshield and i take my camera into work and lock it up...

OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm looking for one I can definitely leave in the car so it keeps recording with motion detection.

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I am in Atlanta, GA (Hot Lanta, as they say), and I use a Garmin 55. Works just fine...

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
sadly if you want parking mode, you're more than likely going to have to stick with 1080p. you may be able to find a 1440p cam that works for you, but if you want a rear cam it wont be 1440p as well

been down the same route, all the 4k cams get too hot recording to survive in the car when its parked. (and a lot of the 4k cams are not really 4k, watch out for the marketing gimmicks)

save yourself the time and trouble, the sg9663dcPRO and viofo a129 DUO (not pro) are 2 good choices that do decent 1080p front and rear, and will do ok in the heat.

you also might want to rethink "motion detection" mode on any dashcam. in most cameras it is just not implemented that well, and its inevitable, you'll end up missing something important that should have been recorded because the motion detection didnt work right. a lot of these cams have a time lapse mode that will record in 1, 3, or 5 frames per second, continuous recording. it takes up a bit more file space, but you'll be less likely to miss that important clip.

parking mode and southern USA heat just dont mix well :(

fyi, i use the a129 duo.. went back and forth between the street guardian and viofo for a while, the street guardian comes with more stuff included like CPL filter and memory card, but has a separate GPS receiver and cost, i think, about $30 more than the viofo did. while the viofo has a GPS receiver that is integrated into the camera mount and a few bucks cheaper. i have been having some rattling issues that i needed to fix when i received my viofo.

the connection between camera and gps base is snug, but not "tight" so bumps, coupled with the stiff suspension of the mustang produce a rattle/buzz in the video. had to tape a business card between the two mating surfaces to take up the slack, which fixed the problem.

one last thing, if you need support, street guardian is going to probably be your better bet. just from what i have seen with user interaction on www.dashcamtalk.com forums, the street guardian representatives are always helping out and answering questions, while the viofo guys are usually missing in action.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for one I can definitely leave in the car so it keeps recording with motion detection.
if you hardwire it the viofo 119 can be set to record on movement. i do not have the feature turned on

Jimayy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost
I'm here in Texas. And for 2-3 years now, I been using the Viofo A119 v2.
It's been not hardwire, it's via plug right now. I haven't had any problems with it here, it's mounted under the 'ford' on the windshield. I park it outdoors, so mostly in the sun and summer. No issues and I would upgrade to to the Viofo A129 Duo as my next dashcam. I've been pleased with my viofo so far.