Dark Horse Brembo front and rear brakes on M1

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Gents, thanks for your participation so far.

I don't want this thread to slip into a why do you need it discussion. I often drive mine on unlimited highways and on the racetrack. The brakes from the Mach 1 aren't bad, but I'm looking for something better.
Jimmy with 20’s I’m 99.5% sure the 350R kit will work. Contact your wheel company to verify
Sponsored

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
I went looking at the new Stangs at the dealer. They had a bunch of them. I was mostly interested in the rear brake setup. I sat in a few of them and checked the new stuff the cars comes with. Anyways, I'll be upgrading my Bullitt rear brakes to the new setup in the near future. I'm not a fan of the GT350 rear rotor/drum setup. I like my 2 piece rotor setup better, but want the ease of swapping brake pads of the 4 piston calipers.

DSC_7149.JPG

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Edge ST, 2022 Mach1
The gt350 kit that FordPerformance sells is for front and rear…I have not seen it sold as single axle kit, but you can buy them used/whole rear end from a wrecked car. The front install is simple : remove the caliper/rotor, install new bracket and then new caliper/rotor. Done.

The rear needs to pull the exhaust and driveshaft to access the parking/e-brake cable bracket, as well as both rear knuckles and axles. The gt350 rear brakes utilize the inside hat of the rotor like a shoe/drum for the parking brake complete will all the parts and new brake cable.

I have not seen ford offer a gt500 brake kit, that car uses a 2nd caliper for the parking brake rather than a shoe/drum. Your best bet would probably get the complete rear subframe and then resell what you don’t need like the diff.

GT350R kit, notice the axles, knuckles, brake shoes and cables.
IMG_3525.jpeg

GT500 rear, the small parking brake is electro-mechanically actuated and does not use a cable so you would need to sole that issue
IMG_3528.jpeg

Darkhorse rear, appears very similar but still early/haven’t seen anyone compare part# etc
IMG_3529.jpeg

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
Your best bet would probably get the complete rear subframe and then resell what you don’t need like the diff.
This is one of several on eBay right now for around $3500. I would imagine you could resell what you don’t need for maybe $1-1.5k? You can also see the back of the parking caliper here with its electric motor…alternatively just omit the parking brake, not a big deal for a track car with a manual as you wont use it anyway 😂

IMG_3530.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but I'm looking for something better
the FIRST thing you do when driving on track is disable AdvanceTrac and with it neuter the rear brakes from interfering. So "more" rear brake is the EXACT WRONG thing to pursue.
But if you want to persist in your wrong-headed pursuit, then by all means go get the GT350 kit and start replacing knuckles and so forth.

There are also several threads (recent) about putting WIlwood 4-pots and similar retrofit kits on.

Sponsored

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
The performance of the Dark Horse brakes is impressive, so I'm ok with the extra weight.
I believe the quoted stopping distance is on the handling pack model with a brand new Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo RS tire … it’s a 60tw track tire so I would expect it to be “record setting” 😆

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
this is the automotive equivalent of wanting a tommy hilfiger shirt for ten times the cost of one sold at walmart.
Oh Snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol seriously? No joke... I thought it would be $500-$600 rear caliper set upgrade? Our stock rear calipers are 2 piston correct? DH should be 4 piston? Bit of an upgrade and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better looking too.
Bro, i bought the Bullitt caliper kit years ago and the RED calipers don't even match correctly. Brembo front caliper RED is wayyyyyyyyy diff then FORD painted rear red.. Its sad, actually. The rears should've been powder coated and not painted.........

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Gents, thanks for your participation so far.

I don't want this thread to slip into a why do you need it discussion. I often drive mine on unlimited highways and on the racetrack. The brakes from the Mach 1 aren't bad, but I'm looking for something better.
If you are using the stock pads, you have no idea how good your braking system is with the right pads for the specific usage

Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I believe the quoted stopping distance is on the handling pack model with a brand new Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo RS tire … it’s a 60tw track tire so I would expect it to be “record setting” 😆
Pretty sure they’re 180tw, the same as the Sport Cup 2’s on the HP Mach 1. Not sure why Ford went back to Pirelli on the higher performance Mustangs like they did when the S550 first came out before switching to Michelin. I can’t speak specifically about the Trofeo RS of course, but my experience has been that the Pirelli tires are not great compared to Michelin. With that said, the results probably show DH stopping power to be very slightly better (which I would hope would be the case with the technically better brake setup it has) and not due to the tires themselves.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Our stock rear calipers are 2 piston correct
Come on man. No!
Sliding pin single piston.

Tires are what matter in stopping distance. You put the brakes off a Mattel kids toy and it will still stop shorter if you run trofeo tires vs the stock.

Ok slight embellishment. Point is the standard caliper and pad have vastly more friction capacity than the tire. Well, until you overheat everything.

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure they’re 180tw, the same as the Sport Cup 2’s on the HP Mach 1.
You are correct, I am admittedly out of the loop but it looks like I was thinking of the tropheo R that is 60tw, the RS is 180tw. The brakes can only slow the car with the available grip of the tires. The DH does have new gen of magnaride and probably different spring rates along with the brake bias potentially being revised for the gt500 brakes and other changes. It is a huge improvement - way bigger delta than the previous cars.

60-0 stopping distances
GTpp1 : 106ft
GTpp2 : 105ft
GT350 : 102ft
Mach1 w/HP : 96ft
GT350R : 95ft
GT500 w/CFTP : 94ft
DH w/HP : 86ft

These numbers are from Motortrend, they also pointed out the consistency of the DH brakes over multiple stops “In order, we recorded stops at 92, 91, 90, 88, 87, 90, 86, 89, 88, 90, 91, and 90 feet.”

When you look at those cars, several are identical or very similar brake hardware pp1/pp2/mach1 or the gt350/gt350r. The cars also have different weights and suspension parts/tuning as well as aero but probably not playing a big part braking from 60mph. IMHO the biggest difference is the tires compound and contact patch (tire&wheel size).

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Come on man. No!
Sliding pin single piston.

Tires are what matter in stopping distance. You put the brakes off a Mattel kids toy and it will still stop shorter if you run trofeo tires vs the stock.

Ok slight embellishment. Point is the standard caliper and pad have vastly more friction capacity than the tire. Well, until you overheat everything.
Thanks for the 411. Good points!!! =)
Ant

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
I get it, looks/appearance the Shelbys&DarkHorse brakes are what I picture in my head, but the M1/PP brake setup stock performs great on the street and even light track work, swap the pads to a higher-friction compound and provided you have sticky tires and a good surface they are amazing. I know lots of people on here can best my numbers but according to the cars meter I have pulled 1.5g with just gloc pads, even stock pads I peaked 1.3g with heat-cycled 200tw street tires.
Sponsored