CV Fab Intercooler Review and Datalogs

It'sMr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PPP
hey guys, I recently got lucky enough to get my hands on CVFab's new intercooler for the Ecoboost mustang and I'm beyond happy with it! let's start this short and sweet, beautiful TIG welds, full aluminum tanks, double stock size, more than 40 degree drop in AIT (my own data logs, not some trumped up number in perfect settings!) Not to mention this company is actually in the US, which means fantastic customer service and install support. Oh and lets not forget about half the price of the "big names"!
Now to the more technical. Shipping was a breeze, package showed up two days after I placed the order. Everything was there, including two mounting brackets and all hardware needed. Install wasn't too difficult at all. Removing the front bumper was the only tricky part. Once the bumper is off, remove the grill shutters and the intercooler is fully exposed. Once the piping is disconnected there's a few more bolts and the cooler just wiggles out. Now comes the fun part, you'd think being twice the size it'd be difficult to install. CVFab has beautifully found a way around this with the install brackets. Simply put the intercooler in place, connect the pipes, then finally place the brackets provided into the OEM slots, three bolts to the intercooler and you're DONE! all in all it took me about three hours on a lift with minimal tools. Like I said before this thing drops IAT massively, I swear I can feel the added power as soon as I hit WOT. As far as spool up time goes, I haven't noticed any difference from the larger intercooler. Also I do feel like I can here the turbo more, which is always nice. All in all I'm glad I decided to give CVFab a shot, the customer service I received was amazing and the intercooler was excellent quality . I'll be recommending their products for a long time to anyone and everyone with a mustang!
datalog1.png
datalog2.png
intercooler1.jpg
intercooler2.jpg
Sponsored

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
First of all, we'd like to thank It'sMr.Smith for taking the time to provide us with his time and for helping us produce unbiased, third-party data!

As you can see from the screen shots, the OEM FMIC starts at 56 degrees in 2nd gear and skyrockets up to 111 degrees at the end of 4th gear - a 55 degree increase. On the other hand, the CVF Street Intercooler goes from 62 to 77, only 15 degrees. The CVF Street intercooler facilitated a whopping 40 degree reduction in charge air temperatures.

As always, we offer a forum discount to all members to give you a bit more money off an already unbeatable price - feel free to reach out! :)

Ghost3366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Thank you for posting the pictures and logs, since I am going to be purchasing one also. I do have a question in relation to installation. I see from your post your using a lift which I will not have access to, just stands or ramps how do you feel the install would have went without a lift? I am been talking to Jason at CVFab and he mentions no need to modify the shutters. Videos I have seen replacing the Intercooler the person was not able to remove the shutters like you mention just losen the bottom part to move it a little out of the way. Did you fully remove the shutters or remove them then put them back on? Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP

It'sMr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PPP
Thank you for posting the pictures and logs, since I am going to be purchasing one also. I do have a question in relation to installation. I see from your post your using a lift which I will not have access to, just stands or ramps how do you feel the install would have went without a lift? I am been talking to Jason at CVFab and he mentions no need to modify the shutters. Videos I have seen replacing the Intercooler the person was not able to remove the shutters like you mention just losen the bottom part to move it a little out of the way. Did you fully remove the shutters or remove them then put them back on? Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.
The lift really wasn't needed, just for ease of access so I wasn't on my back when connecting and disconnecting the charge pipes. You dont NEED to remove the shutter for installation but it's only 4 bolts two push pins and a plug so I removed it completely. Again you dont have to, but it is really easy to do. I did reinstall the shutter afterwards, no problems fitting the intercooler there.
EDIT: I forgot about the plastic bracket holding the shutters on. So a total of six bolt to remove shutters, extra ten minutes tops.

Last edited:

FourdBanger18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Just wanted to give you guys a head's up that these bad boys are now back in stock! Feel free to shoot over any questions you may have. :rockon:
So many positive reviews! Would there happen to be any in stock this weekend? California heat is killing me right now.