Sponsored

Custom tune and automatic

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
I am new to these custom tunes and wanted to know how many revisions it took to get the shifting correct in a automatic. Mine seems to act like it’s slipping sometimes with just normal drive.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Every tuner is different. I have run 3 custom tunes on my 17GT auto. To be honest my 2014 6R80 shifted perfectly after working Alex when he was at VMP Performance. This car has never shifted anything like the 14 and that is very dissappointing. My sources tell me that there is much mroe going on in the strategies on the S550 15-17 GT with 6R80 than the previous 11-14 GT with 6R80. After all there is a multitude of shift options, rev matching (stupid IMHO) and all kinds of traction control blah blah blah blah blah. From my experience, VMP shifts pretty well but the tune had other issues. This was the tune that was in the car when I bought it. I first decided to try Palm BEach. Palm Beach shifting has a lot of flare and is very soft on normal driving. I was not impressed at all and Rob would not address it beyond opening up the firmness settings and saying "have at it". Next was Lund who got the shifting as close as anyone but still not what I was looking for. The car drives well on the Lund tune...better than by far than the other 2. Makes a smidge more HP as well. I chose to purchase through a local speed shop in this case and let them work through all the tuning with Lund this time since they had a strong one-on-one with Lund. Results were definitely better going that route but it still took about 9 revisions.

Best of luck to you. Keep in mind mine is an FI setup and a little bit more complex than yours. So hopefully its only a matter of datalogging and telling them to address what sounds like shift flare. It can be addressed if the tuner will work with you. I miss my 14 so much. Can't wait to find a 14 or older to trade back into.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
If it can’t be corrected then I will go with the power pack 2 for my son’s car. On my car that’s why I am hesitant to move away from the Whipple tune. Trying not to give up drivability for more power. That’s just me.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seems to act like it’s slipping sometimes with just normal drive.
That 'slip' is protecting your trans. You don't want hard shifts with that whipple.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Give AED a call. Made my auto better than I thought it could ever be, and removed that rev matching down shift junk. So when I do want to drive the car in full auto mode it drives like a normal car when coming to stop vs downshifting and revving every gear on its own. When I want to downshift that's what the paddles are for.

The car shifts nicely at light throttle and shifts hard and quick at 3/4-WOT. Paddles also 3/4-WOT shift almost instantly.

You won't be disappointed.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Give AED a call. Made my auto better than I thought it could ever be, and removed that rev matching down shift junk. So when I do want to drive the car in full auto mode it drives like a normal car when coming to stop vs downshifting and revving every gear on its own. When I want to downshift that's what the paddles are for.

The car shifts nicely at light throttle and shifts hard and quick at 3/4-WOT. Paddles also 3/4-WOT shift almost instantly.

You won't be disappointed.
This. Shaun at AED is a wizard on this platform.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That 'slip' is protecting your trans. You don't want hard shifts with that whipple.
It's also destroying your clutches. It's possible to have a firm positive shift without knocking yer fillings out. Lots of the kids tuning don't realize that.

I haven't used Shaun since he is SCT only.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my 6r80 built to handle 1000 hp 6 months ago at my tuners shop, it took 1 revision to get it right, and boy is it right.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I just had my 6r80 built to handle 1000 hp 6 months ago at my tuners shop, it took 1 revision to get it right, and boy is it right.

So give him/her a plug.

Who is your tuner?

Aa5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ahmed
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tuned by Adam at RevAuto and couldn’t be happier!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
So give him/her a plug.

Who is your tuner?
Adam Browne @ Revolution Automotive of Baltimore Maryland. He and Shaun @ aed have worked together on tuning for more then a decade.
Sponsored