Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you remember 1972 at all well? That's the year California introduced the "you-pick-'em" personalized plates.

At that time there was a gas price crisis, and part of the justification for the plates and extra fees was that the extra money was to go to environment improvement projects.

The principal publicity often called the beneficial costs "Eco-friendly" contributions, "Eco-" denoting ecological awareness. They wre commonly referred to as "Eco plates".

After a few months in the wild, one could make observations about the popular texts that would support the shorthand switch to "Ego" plates. Natural evolution to "Vanity plates" was inevitable.

From 1972 its own self (and stimulating gestures of approval to this day):

MustangFrontFlickublack car.jpg

. https://www.flickr.com/photos/fyougitive/19142838108
Sponsored

Cadrms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 bullitt. Elec PKG and magneride
Sure dont remember 72 all that well. I popped into this world and took my first breath of California smog in 1978.

L454S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Do you remember 1972 at all well? That's the year California introduced the "you-pick-'em" personalized plates.

At that time there was a gas price crisis, and part of the justification for the plates and extra fees was that the extra money was to go to environment improvement projects.

The principal publicity often called the beneficial costs "Eco-friendly" contributions, "Eco-" denoting ecological awareness. They wre commonly referred to as "Eco plates".

After a few months in the wild, one could make observations about the popular texts that would support the shorthand switch to "Ego" plates. Natural evolution to "Vanity plates" was inevitable.

MustangFrontFlickublack car.jpg

. https://www.flickr.com/photos/fyougitive/19142838108
Yes, I do remember 1972 very well. Got my first car(1966 Mercury Comet Caliente 390) and I do remember personalized plates. Problem was, there were very few folks around here with them as they cost too much extra.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Vanity as a word has a certain negative connotation that implies that person is pretentious. I usually call them "personalized" plates.
Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig

Seventies sounds about right, still called vanity plates, Miami, 87 when I left that hole.

Most likely still the same, to verify one would need a translator. Cause no one speaks english down there.

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
E1B51FB3-578E-4B95-8393-E0D4DFB96EEC.jpg

Sponsored

Drewgamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium
Does anyone know how to check if a customized plate is available in South Carolina?

I've checked the DMV website but only saw an application. And I'd really not like to fill out an application and pay a fee only to find out it's not available -_-

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Does anyone know how to check if a customized plate is available in South Carolina?

I've checked the DMV website but only saw an application. And I'd really not like to fill out an application and pay a fee only to find out it's not available -_-
Unfortunately SC is stuck in the stone age and has no way to look them up. If you call they may be able to look one up for you, but don't quote me on that.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

When you check on-line it will let you know if it's available or not. Before you pay for anything. I had better luck going to my local DMV (Chapin) with a list of possibles for me and they checked right there and let me know. Found out I could get one of the ones I wanted, turned in my paperwork right there. I have UD L05E

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I used to order the vanity/personalized plates but not anymore....not worth the up-charge to me over the free plates I get now.

Sponsored

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Anyone going to the Ford Nationals at Carlisle PA? I'll be there next week.
20200720_172702.jpg

Drewgamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium
Unfortunately SC is stuck in the stone age and has no way to look them up. If you call they may be able to look one up for you, but don't quote me on that.
Ugh, it's not the only thing where we are stuck in the stone age :facepalm:

I'll wishfully hope to get lucky, and someone will actually answer the phone (and be in a decent mood).

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's mine, some folks can figure it out, some can't:
image1.jpeg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score