Sponsored

Coyote valve train chatter...

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Less than 2000 miles, and have only had it/driving during cold winter months..

Seems to have some valve train chatter in 5th maintaining 40mph.. All seems to go away after about 10 miles of driving and everything is up to temp..

Normal?
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
You're probably loading the engine down too much. 5th gear should be 45+, if you have 3.73s. If you have 3.55s or 3.31s, it's even worse.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I was going to also say 5th is at least one gear too high for 40. People think that as long as it's running and going down the street to be in the highest gear and that's just not correct gear selection. with 3:73 Im on the verge of coming out of 3d @ 40. Maybe.

OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yeah, I understand what you guys are saying.. I didn't explain well enough.

It does it even if I'm running 60 but it's just easier to make it happen at 40. It makes the noise when the engine is barely maintaining speed.. If I speed up, it goes away, decelerate it goes away.. Can make it do it in any gear really, but all goes away once fully warmed up...

Thanks for your thoughts/time..

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
wonder if its just your tranny being normal, mine makes quite a bit more noise when its cold and when its warm i usually dont hear anything

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What oil are you using? And does this noise appear at any other time, or only in 5th gear and only from 40-60mph?

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
How did you come to conclusion it's valve train noise? Injectors make noise too just to let you know.

I've have stayed in 6th gear go through small town at 35mph at 1000 rpms. It will get back up to 55 mph no problem. Grant I have 3.73 gear but I also did this with 11GT that had 3.73 too

OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm using whatever came in it from the factory.. So 5w20 I think..

If it was injectors, I don't think I'd hear it in the cabin while driving, and it would be pretty constant..

I'm thinking kluke may have gotten it right.. I'm betting tranny noise..
Makes sense because the noise goes on for a bit more than I think it should relative to the engine temp.. The tranny takes a bit longer to heat up.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Under the conditions you describe, sounds like gear rollover from the (cold) trans.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm thinking if the injectors, the noise would be constant, not go away after 10 miles or so of driving.. But I know what your talking about..

OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
How nothing is turning inside transmission car sitting still and clutch pushed pedal pushed in=AKA NO NOISE. Only thing could make noise would be throw bearing

If I push in the clutch, then the engine isn't really in a loaded situation any longer. So doesn't really eliminate the engine or the transmission.. It's about the load, not the RPM..

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
You're probably pushing the gas too hard while in too high of a gear. If you're in 5th, you have to gradually push the unless you're rolling pretty fast (85+) the same thing will happen if you're in 6th running 70/75.

OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Goes away after driving a while..

Would think if loading in too high of a gear, it would be there all the time..

Thinking the tranny makes the most sense now.
I'll do some more testing and see what happens..
Thanks for the feedback guys..

Orange_cru$h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO Premium Pkg 6A 3.15 18"
I have a strange valvetrain chatter on the drivers side while doing 40-60% trottle just after 3k and to 4k rpms no matter the gear. Its really anoying. At first I thought it was ping so I put back the stock tune and the noise persist, after that said to myself might be an exhaust clamp or hanger, well went to a muffler shop put the car on the lift and while revving the noise comes from the front of engine and to the top. This week Im taking the car to the dealer to get it checked.
Sponsored