Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Coolant leak from expansion tank?

Smelt coolant today while sitting in traffic, Got home and poked around and found that the level was low and the bottom of the tank had caked/dried up coolant on the bottom.

Anybody else?

Guess it's dealer time...:clap2:
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
There's a tsb out for a coolant leak. My car is having coolant issues and it is unrelated to the tsb. They still haven't found anything wrong except I'm losing coolant somewhere.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... My car is having coolant issues and it is unrelated to the tsb. They still haven't found anything wrong except I'm losing coolant somewhere.
if you are having to top off the coolant, and there is no evidence of coolant on the pavement where you park, it could be leaking into the engine

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, the only thing is I can smell the coolant.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Yea, the only thing is I can smell the coolant.
any white smoke out the tailpipe at startup? mainly you don't want coolant getting into the engine. either way, it's definitely something to get looked at. Didn't your car just get hit? That's two things now :faint:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, yea but the coolant thing has been going on... Been to the dealer twice for it with no solution.

And no white smoke as far as I can tell. It's a very slow leak

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Lol, yea but the coolant thing has been going on... Been to the dealer twice for it with no solution.

And no white smoke as far as I can tell. It's a very slow leak
I assume they put the car on a lift to have a look around? Not sure where else coolant can go other than into the engine oil, or cylinder head. Both of the latter situations are bad, even in small quantities.

dfrost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp Guard.
Mines gone through two tanks. First leaked at the bottom, second from the nipple. Both very slow. Changed to a Mishimoto one after second tank...was over it. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

reed7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Manual Magnetic
I might have the coolant leak issue too. Got the car on Dec. 2015 and have put 3000 miles on it. And the coolant level is already at 'Min' !! :frusty:

Gonna take the car to the dealer next Monday, wish they will come up with something :mad:

Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I had spare time to look under my hood today. Everything looked nice and dry, but when I saw this, I tried to soak it up thinking it was coolant. It seems to be some sort of sealer. I hope it lasts a long time. It might be worth checking on periodically. I let the car idle a while and examined the joint, but thankfully it stayed dry.

PRStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey,
I got the coolant leak about 9 months into ownership with less than 7000 miles on the car. Took the car in for bumper misalignment from (factory), metal clunk noise in transmission, and for the TSB for the cooled seats. All they did was fill up the coolant and thats all. I dont know why there are so many issues going on that the dealer just doesn't know about, care to fix etc... On top of that i purchased a extended warranty so i though id get a loaner and i wasnt given one for 8 days. It took them 8 days to fill the coolant!!!!!!! I hope they start finding fixes to some of these issue. sorry for venting but its a struggle with ford right now (dealers).
Wish you all the best but theyll probably just end up filling up the coolant in the car and thats bout it.

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
My coolant has been below slightly min for a while when hot. Is this normal or should i take it for a possible leak? 9k miles new car.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My coolant has been below slightly min for a while when hot. Is this normal or should i take it for a possible leak? 9k miles new car.
Has the level gone down over time (checked either cold or hot each time to compare)? If so, then there might be a small leak.

Top it off and monitor it carefully. Sometimes the cooling system will still 'burp' itself after it leaves the factory.
Sponsored