Convertible water tightness

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Its "rained" (lightly) only a few times since I bought this car way back in May - you know the drought and all in Northern CA. Before the forecasted El Nino hits us this winter, just wondering from those in live in places where it actually rains on a regular basis how the convertible is holding up waterproof wise. Can it handle huge downpours?

I have to park mine on a hill as well (hood facing up the hill), and my last (non convertible) car tended to collect water in the corner of the trunk when it rained heavily.
Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
mines not leaking, that being said I don't drive in the rain if I can avoid it and keep it garaged in bad weather, I have a second vehicle that stays parked outside and since it'll get wet in the rain anyway whether I drive it or not I drive it instead.

Go ahead and put Aerospace 303 fabric protector on the roof, that stuff works. Water beads and beads and doesn't soak into the fabric

Make sure the roof is absolutely dry before lowering the top otherwise you'll be lowering water into the whole contraption

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
No leaks whatsoever and I use touch-less car washes. The high pressure soap/water jets don't penetrate the new top system on my S550 vert...but they did on my previous 2013 GT vert.

RubyKojote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ive had mine since June and have had zero leaks. Has not been a problem at all. :amen:

Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Mine has only seen rain once, the day I bought it and drove it off the lot. The top leaked pretty bad right onto the driver side speaker tweeter. Lucky for me my Mustang wont see much rain (even though it rains here like 200 days of the year).

Oh, I did take it through a light car wash once, mostly water and it did not leek that time.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Bro, you're in Cali. You're good dude, bro, brah. See what I did there?

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Its "rained" (lightly) only a few times since I bought this car way back in May - you know the drought and all in Northern CA. Before the forecasted El Nino hits us this winter, just wondering from those in live in places where it actually rains on a regular basis how the convertible is holding up waterproof wise. Can it handle huge downpours?

I have to park mine on a hill as well (hood facing up the hill), and my last (non convertible) car tended to collect water in the corner of the trunk when it rained heavily.
Same thing happened to me on my 2012
http://mustangforums.com/forum/convertible-tech/674690-first-puddle-in-driver-s-footwell-2012-a.html

Until 2015 owners reassured me
http://mustangforums.com/forum/the-...aking-issues-on-the-new-2015-convertible.html

So far after 5,000 miles. I have no reports of any leaks at all after dozens of storms and high pressure touchless car washes.

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
Same thing happened to me on my 2012
http://mustangforums.com/forum/convertible-tech/674690-first-puddle-in-driver-s-footwell-2012-a.html

Until 2015 owners reassured me
http://mustangforums.com/forum/the-...aking-issues-on-the-new-2015-convertible.html

So far after 5,000 miles. I have no reports of any leaks at all after dozens of storms and high pressure touchless car washes.
WesleyEng, Did you apply any protectant to your top? Or do you plan to? If so, have you looked into what is a good product to use?
I don't even know if Ford recommends doing this, but it sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to attempt it till I get some feedback.

mauleed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Convertible GT
Zero leaks here, and mine has seen lots of rain.

Sponsored

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
No leaks here, even with massive downpours in southern summer thunderstorms, heavy rain for hours at interstate speeds, hand and high pressure car washes.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
WesleyEng, Did you apply any protectant to your top? Or do you plan to? If so, have you looked into what is a good product to use?
I don't even know if Ford recommends doing this, but it sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to attempt it till I get some feedback.
No, just try to keep it clean as possible. I never let anything sit on it for too long (bird droppings, tree stuff, etc..)

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Sounds promising! It's my first convertible, so not sure what to expect. When I was closing the deal with the finance guy back in May, he told me his last convertible (a Mercedes no less) leaked each time it rained. And last December when we had a lot of rain here, I noticed some folks covered their convertibles (including an older Mustang) with a tarp. Was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about it this winter.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible, 50 Year Edition
Absolutely no leaks. Granted, I am in So Cal and rain is scarce, but we have had some. Plus, I wash the car at a high pressure self wash and nary a drop inside yet.

As for products on the top...upon advise by an experienced upholster who does convertible tops for a living, nothing but H20 baby! Never any soap or products on the fabric and it will last the longest. Now, I'm not in the snow and ice either, but. He also highly suggests putting the top up every night, not leaving it down for too long a stretch. I used to leave my 2000 Vert's top down from about March to Christmas, but it was vinyl. I'm putting this one up at night.
Sponsored