Convertible vs Fastback on track or just spirited drives

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Well, decided on a vert and started to do a deep dive on locating a S550 Premium vert with 401A and Manual. Could not believe there was no one in my entire SE region.
There were two available however before we could move on them Shelby America took them for upfitting. If I had known several months ago what I know now I would have ordered one. So kinda in a holding pattern as do not want a S650 due to changes in looks.
There are a few coupes but no verts in manual available. Now I can get an auto but just do not like the issues "some" are having. if I have an issue with the MT82 I can have it rebuilt by Calimer for $5 grand but to go through and rebuild the 10R80 is a lot of cash.
fwiw I have a 2020 GT convertible with the 10R80, have tracked it, then fun drives and haven't had any issues with it. Not sure what years you are looking at, 22MY and 23MY?
Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Gone.
Appreciate your being honest about the car and its' use. Ideally, would like one new so I knew I was the only one who has driven it.
There is always an option that there is one hiding in transit somewhere. Not a fan of the new S650 so would not consider ordering one. As I said, want new but in a month or so if nothing shows up may have to look at a lightly used one with few miles and perhaps someone will trade one for the S650 when it drops.

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert
Gone, still planning on a manual. At 76 still love to row through the gears and my achilles issues are hopefully behind me. Last year. I had a '20 Miata manual and it was no problem so hoping all will be good with the Mustang GT.
Man I have a 22 PP1 vert with Active Exhaust, Magneride and an M6. For me it is the perfect Mustang...sold a 2012 GT500 vert to buy it. Love it. I think people make a much bigger deal out of rigidity than there is these days. I can't feel a difference. Mine is tight (but nut nearly as rigid and bumpy as my GT500). Magneride was worth every penny imo.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Homebrw, Thanks for the assessment. A GT with a 401A with what you have is exactly what I have been looking for. I have checked the entire SE and there does not appear to be one left.
The couple I found were in route to dealers, one in NC and one in SC but were bought by Shelby America for conversion. I am hopeful that when the S650's drop that some may be traded in. That way I would get what I want and not have to pay the premium for a new on the lot vehicle. I have been told a GT vert, manual with PP1 AE and Magna are Unicorns. Do you still have the CTR or did you trade it for one of the Mustangs?
Would be interesting to hear your opinion of the CTR vs the EB.

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I do think I am a unicorn owner! Everyone thinks verts are unworthy of PP1. Probably even less with 6M.

The CTR was a blast! One of the best handling cars I have ever driven (to include 911), absolutely the best gearbox I have ever rowed, the seats were the most comfortable racing seats on the planet and quite frankly it was super utilitarian with the hatchback and fold down seats!

But it wasn't a convertible. And as cool as Japanese muscle is it isn't a V8, and the 5.0 with Active Exhaust is glorious!!!

Sorry to hear you missed out on a couple near me. I know you'll find the right one soon enough. Good luck,
Chris

20211112_133810.jpg

20211016_085811.jpg

20211016_085602.jpg

20220924_115026.jpg

20221117_162328.jpg

20220826_133956.jpg

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I started out looking for a PP1 convertible and did find a few, but the difference in price was significant. I came to the conclusion that the price tag was just not worth it for me. I am not going to track my car and while I may push it a bit from time to time I am not going to really miss that little bit extra PP1 provides. And with the money I saved, I can fund some tweaks and mods if I really want to get a bit more out of it.

In short, I am more than happy with the performance of my convertible GT.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Homebrw, Thanks for the assessment. I completely agree.
Nice pics thanks for taking the time to include. I looked closely at the CTR and even thought about the new Impreza S but as you said, NO V8 and No Vert. I did have a P Boxster 981S that was a hoot and a very nice ride but was PDK and not a manual. Hopefully I will find what I am looking for as I am now looking at anything from a 17 on. I could get a non PP but then I would have to add the additional goodies myself including the 3:73 rear end.. Would be much easier to find a PP. As you know just a manual convertible is rare. Hopefully, that car is out there as not interested in a S650.
Again, thanks for your comments !

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Keep looking my friend. The whole reason I optioned PP1 was the 3.73 gears. I had them in my Shelby vert and loved them! I figured they'd be the hard part of up-fitting.

Patience will pay off. Someone has one that will want to scratch a new itch!

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
ay1820,
I may go that route if I can find a nice low mileage Vert manual.
As I said above I can do the bracing and 3:73 rear end myself.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Homebrw, Trading cars and scratching itches seems to be my hobby but I am older and patient. Life is short-Enjoy.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Had my 18 PP1, 6sp vert on the track once and multiple weekends at Deals Gap... car is more than capeable for whatever you want to throw at it.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Beautiful car but why does it look like the car is stuck inside a condom in this photo? 🤔
LOL I was using Track Wrap to protect the front and sides. You really can't be neat with that stuff but it stops all the flinging rubber from smearing up your paint job. The end point is to get PPF on all the front, like ALL the front of the GT and some lower side panels.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
LOL I was using Track Wrap to protect the front and sides. You really can't be neat with that stuff but it stops all the flinging rubber from smearing up your paint job. The end point is to get PPF on all the front, like ALL the front of the GT and some lower side panels.
Haha the car is certainly protected! 🤣