Convertible vs Fastback on track or just spirited drives

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Granted the convertible has less structural integrity than the fastback however has there ever been a comparison between a convertible with performance package vs Fastback with and without the performance package? Know the present convertible has more rigidity than previous years but just wondering how much the vert looses to the fastback if it has the same braces and structural aids.
My track days are over however do like to carve corners on occasion and appreciate a good suspension so wondering just how much a vert will lose to the fastback given same twisty road.
Sponsored

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's probably 85% as good, which isn't really going to be noticeable outside of hot laps or back to back comparison

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Ice, I would guess as much. On the street I would imagine anything over maybe 8/10 the convertible would be at a disadvantage however up to that I don't think an average driver would notice the difference given the convertible had the same bracing and suspension. If the convertible had the performance bracing and suspension then it might take a base fastback..However this is just conjecture on my part.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
No amount of bracing will get the convertible on par with the coupe. But, who cares? Drop tops are fun in their own right. I think the convertible falls under if you have to ask...

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
On the street you would not notice any measurable difference whatsoever. On a track or autocross, if both cars are prepped the same, it’s likely a driver’s race. Sure, the vert gives up a few pounds overall but the coupe is no lightweight.

Equal drivers in equally prepped cars on a closed course, sure, there’ll be a difference because of the weight and aerodynamics (if it’s a high speed course).

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
FB32C7E7-B496-4AFA-9E33-D4E76773897A.png
I raced a convertible for many years

Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
Life is more fun in a droptop. :):sunglasses:

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Nothing beats driving a convertible on a country road. Don't think about an extra tenth of a second here and there unless you're driving competitivley. And give yourself an extra bit of fun, go totally old school, and get a manual convertible.

If it means anything I had an 85 Fox body GT and that thing was loose as a goose compared to my 21 GT. The newer convertibles are really tight. I'm sure the hard tops are better, but you won't regret getting a drophead coupe.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
KeyLime, I hear you. I had planned on a drop top but just wanted to see what folks thought after having one. I had a convertible '66, a Miata and a P GPS convertible. A manual is also a must on my list. Listening to the exhaust sound with the top down is a pleasure.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
The active exhaust on a gt should be on your options must haves list. Most fun you can have with your clothes on! I was amazed how much I truly enjoyed that feature. From burbling around in traffic to opening up on a lonely 2 lane it's a sound I can't get enough of. Makes driving the vert even more of an event.
Sponsored