1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Does anyone have an issue with the frame underneath the softtop breaking? I'm in for service today for the second time now the fix the frame.
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Does anyone have an issue with the frame underneath the softtop breaking? I'm in for service today for the second time now the fix the frame.
First I have heard...

Pics????????

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
It might be a little hard to see in this picture, only because the shadow hits the area in question. It the section of the frame that runs vertically along the back window to connect it the car. In this picture it broken from its upper mount, and as a result the top dips in the back left section, resulting in the rear window slanting downward.
user34542_pic12114_1522681399.jpg

Last edited:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
mine is perfectly level as far as I can see... I know that a few posted that the rear window was disconnected from the braces early on, but have not heard of it since then (early 2015)

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
mine is perfectly level as far as I can see... I know that a few posted that the rear window was disconnected from the braces early on, but have not heard of it since then (early 2015)
That was the same thing I was thinking

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
It might be a little hard to see in this picture, only because the shadow hits the area in question. It the section of the frame that runs vertically along the back window to connect it the car. In this picture it broken from its upper mount, and as a result the top dips in the back left section, resulting in the rear window slanting downward.
I can see the slant. Mine is perfect. I would think, if it wasn’t resolved the first time and they don’t look elsewhere for the issue, it’s probably gonna happen again.

Good luck:cheers:

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Do you drive with the top up and windows down? Just curious if anything could be stressing the mount.

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Do you drive with the top up and windows down? Just curious if anything could be stressing the mount.
No, not really. It's typically one or the other: Tops up, windows are up. Windows down, tops down. It spent five days in the shop, so we'll see. I'll update if anything happens.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
No, not really. It's typically one or the other: Tops up, windows are up. Windows down, tops down. It spent five days in the shop, so we'll see. I'll update if anything happens.
I will second the "one or the other" statement. At highway speeds, top up and windows down, the rear window does a significant amount of "flubbing".

I only tried once and learned my lesson...:doh: It didn't cause me any damage. But I can see repeatedly doing this could cause this issue.

I am very interested in the root cause of this issue, as there is a chance of this happening to all our verts.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I wonder if the first "fix" was just duct tape, i.e., something that in the short term resolved the issue, but it might really need a complete replacement part[?]

Mine is fine, in fact, I've always been pretty impressed with how solid the top and mechanism seems.

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I will second the "one or the other" statement. At highway speeds, top up and windows down, the rear window does a significant amount of "flubbing".

I only tried once and learned my lesson...:doh: It didn't cause me any damage. But I can see repeatedly doing this could cause this issue.

I am very interested in the root cause of this issue, as there is a chance of this happening to all our verts.
If it's anything like my '13 the "flubbing" (I like that word for it) is so bad I have to leave the windows up at interstate speeds. But that's a convertible for you, and if that's the deal it's OK with me. Love our drop top. :D

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
See my thread, link below, posted earlier about two plastic parts in the trunk. This may be your problem, especially with the top flopping in the wind with the windows down. Still no answer on whether they should be screwed in. Hope this helps. See photos in #1 and then #5.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93677

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro
See my thread, link below, posted earlier about two plastic parts in the trunk. This may be your problem, especially with the top flopping in the wind with the windows down. Still no answer on whether they should be screwed in. Hope this helps. See photos in #1 and then #5.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93677
I've had virtually zero issues with my 2016 camaro vert top; my 2012 had serious design issues. The hard top tonneau that eliminates the flapping top was the deal sealer for me when I was shopping around. When i retire, my garage will have a ZL1 vert & Shelby GT vert sitting side by side.

WillowCreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Convertible
Bringing this back to the top. Has anyone else had this problem? My wife's 2017 Mustang has the same problem as the original poster experienced, her roof is identical to the picture posted. Happened literally days after the warranty expired, and of course the extended warranty doesn't cover it. I've figured out how to reset the part that comes loose, but a few top cycles and its out of place again. Has anyone had this problem resolved? If so, how was it permanently repaired? Any help from Ford $$$$$?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
It’s hard to tell from the original photo, but are we talking about the arm which runs from the side to an attachment point at about the halfway point of the rear window? Which detaches at the window end? If so, I believe that there was an updated clip for 2018. My car had the top replaced as it was delivered to the dealer with a defect. That arm fell out about 3 days after I got it. I put the top halfway down and got my hands underneath and popped it back into place. It has never come loose again and I cycle the top often, sometimes multiple times daily.
Sponsored