Sponsored

Considering upgrading to the Performance Pack Radiator

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a non-PP GT and have been mulling upgrading from the stock to the PP radiator.

The PP version claims to be thicker than stock, have more surface area (fins), and (I think) holds more coolant.

I don't track my card often. I do drive in the southwest US a lot where temperatures can get to 115+.

Anything that lowers temps feels like it could add life to the car and guard against being stuck in the I-15 crawling home from Vegas in traffic across the desert.

Is the performance radiator a worthwhile upgrade over stock or is this a pure vanity play?
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have a non-PP GT and have been mulling upgrading from the stock to the PP radiator.

The PP version claims to be thicker than stock, have more surface area (fins), and (I think) holds more coolant.

I don't track my card often. I do drive in the southwest US a lot where temperatures can get to 115+.

Anything that lowers temps feels like it could add life to the car and guard against being stuck in the I-15 crawling home from Vegas in traffic across the desert.

Is the performance radiator a worthwhile upgrade over stock or is this a pure vanity play?
Might be worth looking into the Mishimoto radiator for $500. It seems to be an improvement over both the stock and PP radiators.

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Might be worth looking into the Mishimoto radiator for $500. It seems to be an improvement over both the stock and PP radiators.
Agreed. If you are going through the trouble of upgrading radiators, Mishimoto offers a better bang for the buck. You could also consider getting a 170 degree thermostat.

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
The temperature the engine sees is controlled by the thermostat and the ecm for the fans. If you're tracking the car alot the the bigger radiator can shed the bigger heat load better, but if you are wanting lower temps in general then you are going to want to change out the thermostat. It controls the baseline temperature for the engine.

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The temperature the engine sees is controlled by the thermostat and the ecm for the fans. If you're tracking the car alot the the bigger radiator can shed the bigger heat load better, but if you are wanting lower temps in general then you are going to want to change out the thermostat. It controls the baseline temperature for the engine.
A thermostat swap out to a lower temperature will require a ECM tune. But considering the price of a tuner, tune and thermostat... it could be cheaper to do this than buy a new radiator outright. Plus, you would get better performance gains with the tune. :headbang:

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'd just go to the Mishimoto if you don't have the PP radiator. I don't have coolant heat issues on a road course and I have the PP radiator. My oil temp rises from normal but it typically tops off. I have an oil cooler setup I plan to install but haven't gotten around to it... lot of work.

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
T-stat only controls min temp
Agreed. I only mention this because a tune would prevent the fan from inadvertently running. Dealt with that minor annoyance waiting for the mail order tune.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Anyone here run a Mishimoto for a long period of time yet? I know that years back SN95 guys were having a hard time making them live beyond 9 months. They kept splitting at the welds. It was advised to just pick up an AutoZone stock replacement, which I did.

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here run a Mishimoto for a long period of time yet? I know that years back SN95 guys were having a hard time making them live beyond 9 months. They kept splitting at the welds. It was advised to just pick up an AutoZone stock replacement, which I did.
I am considering it as a future upgrade for my PP GT, but I have not heard of any quality issues concerning this on the S550 or S197 platforms. Hopefully there is somebody out there that has done this upgrade.

Sponsored

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hello to everyone

Mishimoto strives for the best in quality and customer service. Our products as a whole have a less then 1% failure rate, and all of our products come with a lifetime warranty to manufactures defects. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] for a prompt and accurate response to your questions.

Thank you and have a great day,
Mishimoto

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello to everyone

Mishimoto strives for the best in quality and customer service. Our products as a whole have a less then 1% failure rate, and all of our products come with a lifetime warranty to manufactures defects. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] for a prompt and accurate response to your questions.

Thank you and have a great day,
Mishimoto
Mishimoto,

Thanks for the response!

Brazenbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've had one in my Ecoboost for a little more than a year now with no issues.

Brazenbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

I know that crawl. If it were me I'd go with a Mishimoto rad, and talk with a tuner about having the fans turn on sooner.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lower temp T-stat... Made a difference on my PP GT down here in S. Florida. Head temp dropped by 20* in daily bumper to bumper traffic.
Sponsored