Sponsored

Considering trading in my 2017 Ecoboost for a V6?

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I had my EB for 1 month short of three years. I liked it a lot, and never had any issues with it. I would not trade your EB for the v6. Everyone’s already given you the reasons not to do so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
I'm confused as to how taking a hit trading to a v6 will help you with your worries. Do rats that enjoy chewing on Ecoboost wires not like the way V6 wires taste, or what?

As far as stock EcoBoost reliability the 2017's, just exactly how many of the tens of thousands of stock 2017 engines have you heard had problems to give you this amount of worry?
I appreciate everyone's comments. A V8 is not an option. The insurance would be too high for me to afford right now and for an ungaraged, Colorado daily driver, it is not really what I need or want at the moment.

Sorry for the confusion.There are two separate issues. I know getting the V6 won't solve the rat issue. The worry about Ecoboom is just icing on the cake for the trouble I have been stressing over the last month.

I have missed the rumble I had in my '06 V6s. The Ecoboost is nice, but the sound is not there.

The rats like the soy based wiring.

Tonight, I decided to try and park in a different spot to just see what happens.

I am just at the end of my rope with the stress the rats have caused. My car smells horrible and I can't enjoy it.I finally got the insurance settlement after three years of agony and frustration and buy a car I thought I liked. Then, I have the rats issue and keep seeing people posting about the fragility of the 2.3L. And, I'm a worrier.

Anyways, I appreciate the comments.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
OP, rat traps are inexpensive. Put the traps under the engine and use cheese on the traps. Feed the dead rats to any cat you know of and maybe a cat will hang around your Mustang. Cats are better at catching rats then mice.

bluefirestarter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1 401a
I'd def keep the EB.. I have about 48k on mine and she's trucking just fine. I had a minor oil leak after I bought it but it's been problem free for the most part (AC issues that everyone else has.)

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
And, I'm a worrier.
Ah, the core issue. Trading won't fix that either.

Relax, enjoy, live. I know it's harder to do than say sometimes, but I've had to slow down and learn to live a new perspective on life; it helps me sleep a lot better now. I'm a hospice chaplain and have learned that Faith and a sense of true perspective provides a great deal of peace of mind in all areas of life.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I had an EB and never had an issue with it until I started doing warranty-voiding mods. As long as you stay stock, you have a warranty protecting you so you have no worries as far as the car goes. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather have a V6 over an EcoBoost too if I was keeping it long term, but since it would hurt you too much financially, just lean on that warranty for your peace of mind until you can afford to get out of it. Only other option is to see if another private owner is willing to do an even trade with a V6 for you. Not sure how that would work with the bank loan and stuff though.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Lol

Which car cost the least amount of money to get into the S550 body style?

The base model, which ford decided would be the V-6. Thank you FoMoCo for your logic, ‘cause that meant for any intelligent consumer (ie, understands best bang for the buck) that the base model is f*ing cool! In fact, I think it’s the 2nd most desirable model after the GT350R.

After all, with a good tune (may I suggest MPT) the V6 is producing 330 BHP, and it removes the speed limiter giving the V6 a top speed of 157MPH!

And I don’t have to worry about emptying a catch can, changing my spark plugs every 7500 miles, or wondering how I’m going to afford paying for a new head every 40,000 miles. Lol

I say go for it! Dump the Egoboost (sic) & get the V6 (or a GT350R;-)!
A v6 Mustang is more desirable than a GT350?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Holy cow man, the whole ecoboom thing is blown way out of proportion. Nobody ever says "man, my car is running so smooth." You always hear "my car just died" instead. A very small number of ecoboost deaths have happened, some were because of stupidity, some were the actual car. Out of only about 100 ecobooms you hear, 250,000 ecoboosts are running around fine.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Holy cow man, the whole ecoboom thing is blown way out of proportion. Nobody ever says "man, my car is running so smooth." You always hear "my car just died" instead. A very small number of ecoboost deaths have happened, some were because of stupidity, some were the actual car. Out of only about 100 ecobooms you hear, 250,000 ecoboosts are running around fine.
Yeah you say that now but then all of a sudden BOOM. Engine dead on your way home from work.

Blood, guts, spit and ass everywhere.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I had a 2015 V6 for 2.5 years and didn’t have issues other than some rattling noise from the resonator when I first got it and a transmission fluid leak (both of which was quickly replaced by Ford). I would tell you to keep your EB but peace of mind goes a long way. Here is what I would do if I were you:

1) Test drive a V6 first. Going from an EB to a V6 is somewhat of a downgrade, but you will get a more reliable and better sounding engine…plus 87 octane.
2) If you truly like the V6 better, search for a slightly used S550 V6 because I am sure you could find some for around the $15k range, maybe even lower.
3) Since you are in negative equity try to get the best trade-in offer for your car (go to Carmax and other dealerships and see what they will give you for the EB.) The more they’ll pay you for your car + cheapest you can get the V6 you want = you don’t lose too much money on the trade in.
4) Check insurance rates, I am not sure if going from a 4cyl turbo to a 6cyl makes much of a difference in insurance rates.

I know you are not considering a V8 due to insurance rates but my insurance from a V6 to a V8 only went up $20 a month, which I guess in the long run seems like a lot. Last thing you want to do is trade your EB to a V6…and then regret not getting a GT. But the V6 is still a very good car. As for the rats….well that can be handled differently.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Yeah you say that now but then all of a sudden BOOM. Engine dead on your way home from work.

Blood, guts, spit and ass everywhere.
Yet you drive a Jeep. The most unreliable thing on the road. ;)

Before you say anything, yes I also own a Jeep.

I had a 2015 V6 for 2.5 years and didn’t have issues other than some rattling noise from the resonator when I first got it and a transmission fluid leak (both of which was quickly replaced by Ford). I would tell you to keep your EB but peace of mind goes a long way. Here is what I would do if I were you:

1) Test drive a V6 first. Going from an EB to a V6 is somewhat of a downgrade, but you will get a more reliable and better sounding engine…plus 87 octane.
2) If you truly like the V6 better, search for a slightly used S550 V6 because I am sure you could find some for around the $15k range, maybe even lower.
3) Since you are in negative equity try to get the best trade-in offer for your car (go to Carmax and other dealerships and see what they will give you for the EB.) The more they’ll pay you for your car + cheapest you can get the V6 you want = you don’t lose too much money on the trade in.
4) Check insurance rates, I am not sure if going from a 4cyl turbo to a 6cyl makes much of a difference in insurance rates.

I know you are not considering a V8 due to insurance rates but my insurance from a V6 to a V8 only went up $20 a month, which I guess in the long run seems like a lot. Last thing you want to do is trade your EB to a V6…and then regret not getting a GT. But the V6 is still a very good car. As for the rats….well that can be handled differently.
You can run an EB on 87 octane just fine. The EB is just as reliable as the v6 stock for stock.

The V6 and the EB both sound like shit. So you aren't gaining or losing anything there.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yet you drive a Jeep. The most unreliable thing on the road. ;)

Before you say anything, yes I also own a Jeep.

You can run an EB on 87 octane just fine. The EB is just as reliable as the v6 stock for stock.

The V6 and the EB both sound like shit. So you aren't gaining or losing anything there.

The EcoBoost drops to like 275 horsepower on 87 while the V6 is at 300 horsepower.

As for the sound being the same: :lol:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

Run 87 on the Eco and you'll make less power than the 6 though. Supposedly 275. Not much of a difference, but then neither is the additional power of the Eco.

And for sound, it's easier to make the V6 sound better but neither is a V8.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
EB has quite more torque that comes in a lot sooner in the rev range. Just depends what you like, test drive the v6. At the end of the day the eb's engine is the future and is what ford is investing in. For 1K you can have the ford performance tune and keep your car under warranty
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... The rats like the soy based wiring.

Tonight, I decided to try and park in a different spot to just see what happens.

I am just at the end of my rope with the stress the rats have caused. My car smells horrible and I can't enjoy it.I finally got the insurance settlement after three years of agony and frustration and buy a car I thought I liked.
I have a feeling that rats like to chew on wires, soy or no soy. I read that their teeth grow continuously and they have to knaw, or they will develop a problem. And once rats have set up shop in your engine bay, they probably leave food there, and urine so that they know how to get back. I think you would need a mechanic that knows how to clean / decon the engine bay, and probably the suspension and tires.

Have you asked your apartment about this? They may schedule pest control on your behalf. Trying to setup up traps yourself may cause liability.
Sponsored