Sponsored

Considering trading in my 2017 Ecoboost for a V6?

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
It's not just the rat issue. I just feel like I am going to get sucked into the whole Ecoboom stuff and the extra fragility of the EB motor with extra maintenance is bothersome. I won't be modding the car (I did want an exhaust) but now I don't know. I feel like I miss the rumble and I was told wrong by the dealer that the V6 did not have height adjusting seats (the main reason I didn't get it, I'm short. ) I don't know if I'm worrying about something that is unfounded, but I just see so much about "Don't get the Ecoboost".

I have been under so much stress I am about to lose my mind.
Thank you. Yeah, I hope I won't have any Ecoboom issues. But, with the rat eating the wires and no chance of me moving anytime soon, my mind has been in overdrive and overthinking everything. I guess I'll just live with the decision.

I live in an apartment complex without a garage and I'm in Colorado.
The rats ate and disabled two coil pack wires and left urine and feces all over the engine and I had it repaired, but got the car back and the next night they came back and started nesting and chewing. It gets repaired, yet again on Tuesday and I don't know what else to do but keep filing claims for my insurance company every two weeks. I have tried rat poison, repellent sprays of many kinds and no luck. Now my car just smells horrible from the repellents.
Have you tried dryer sheets? My boss has a mini Cooper s. Same issue they ate through her wires but she got advice from a shop to wrap part of the wires in dryer sheets. She's been rat free ever since
Sponsored

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
Have you tried dryer sheets? My boss has a mini Cooper s. Same issue they ate through her wires but she got advice from a shop to wrap part of the wires in dryer sheets. She's been rat free ever since
I have heard about using those, too. I have not tried them yet. I'll give it a go. Might as well, everything else failed. Thanks for the reminder.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
Peppermint and the electric mouse annoyers work fine.
I'm glad it worked for you. But, peppermint spray did not work at all for me. I sprayed it all over the car the night I got it back from the first repair. The nesting and chewing resumed immediately.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
how do rats get into the engine bay? They climb up the tires ? How far do you park from grass?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
how do rats get into the engine bay? They climb up the tires ? How far do you park from the grass ?
They climb up the tires, yes. I park in the same spot I have nearest my condo (handicap parking spot). I have only had this car since mid-October. Never had issues with my 2006 or 2007 Mustangs.

It is not extremely close to grass, there is sidewalk between it and the lawn. Tonight I'm attempting to park far away to see if they follow the car. They love the soy-based wiring covers.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't think switching to a V6 is going to resolve your rat problem. I'd rather have an EB over a V6, personally. It has a lot more tuning potential. Also, Ford has discontinued the V6 Mustang.

Personally I'd wage a mega war on the rats before doing anything rash like trading your car in? Set traps all around your vehicle to kill them. Can you discuss the issue with your landlord? If pests are impacting your life this much it might be something they need to investigate.

I can't even believe I am replying to this thread.

quiong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6
Sounds like due to various issues (though not the EB's fault specifically) you've fallen out of love with your particular car. V6 is bulletproof and you could probably get a 2017 one very cheap. Aftermarket support is limited, although that doesn't apply to you if you don't plan to mod (except exhaust). V6 probably sounds better than EB. Performance would be slightly behind an unmodded EB.

All in all though, I wouldn't recommend it. You would be losing some money on the trade, and getting a discontinued product. As others have said you're under warranty even in the unlikely event of an engine problem. I don't have a sense of how common "ecoboom" is, but I imagine it's extremely rare especially on stock motors. You can get an extended warranty if worried about long-term reliability. Biggest reason though is that getting a V6 doesn't actually solve your main problem, which seems to be rats.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Along with that unfortunate rat issue, I am beginning to worry about the Ecoboost fragility. I would lose money trading it in after only three months, but would it be worth peace of mind? The dealer told me that the V6 did not have height adjusting seats and that is the main reason I went with the Ecoboost. Thoughts?

I agree with the others, the only upgrade for any Eco or V6 is the GT; otherwise it does not make sense. You should have done your homework before you bought. Having said that what is done is done. But I agree with you that you were duped by marketing to pick a car you may not have picked without that crap Ford laid on the V6 and to make the Ecoboost look better. My V6 is the first non-V8 car I have ever owned. I would have bought a base GT but when my former car bit the dust I had 24 hours to pick a new one and in an area that serves 6 million people. I could not find one ā€“ I repeat ā€“ not one base GT! The dealers only brought in premium GTs at almost double the price of the V6! They hit the V6 with the ugly stick quoting horsepower at 87 octane and torque figures lower than the actual 287. No premium option and no PP. Only a wheel and spoiler option. The manual seats is the kicker there. People only adjust this once and leave it as is forever unless their wife or someone else drives it. I think the Recaros are manual too.

They wanted you to buy the 4 pot. Look at the car now. They gave it the low end 17ā€ wheels and deleted the standard fog lamps even here in Canada where the V6 had fog lights standard. They went back and deleted the spoiler on the base Eco. So even though they dropped the Eco by a grand they didnā€™t really, they just took off a whole bunch of stuff they added before. Their profit margins are the same. Ford is the bad guy here. Want the Mustang with a 5.0? Even though I see the dealer model line-up now includes the base GT I am still waiting to see if they actually bring one - and I repeat ā€“ one base GT that isnā€™t special order. Fact is they will want to sell you the GT for 22-27 thousand more (CAN) than the price of the old V6. Look at all that profit for 2 extra cylinders! The point of this rant is that you canā€™t buy a V6 new anymore unless some dealer still has one around. You will take a severe financial hit selling the Eco to buy the V6 and a bigger one to trade in for a GT. Your only real option is to keep your car and not mod it up or risk the engine any other way. In hind sight they should have introduced a very mild version of the 3.5 eco that did not knock on the door of the V8 but lent itself to modding up to the V8 ā€“ that would have been the better move and keep the V6 as the base. That would better prepare people for the ultimate demise of the V8. But CAFE is what it is and so we have what we have.

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Since you didnt mention the gt as an option I wont give an opinion on that.

Obviously not every ecoboost is the same but the only people that blow up their ecoboosts are people who have tuned it past a safe operating limit and also usually the same people that decide to go wide open throttle in sixth gear. Ive had my ecoboost for about 16 months and its never given me any issue engine related "Knocks on wood". I took a cross country road trip with it and have beaten on it numerous times before and after getting tuned by ford performance, and it still holds up.

The V6 isnt a bad option but its not worth taking a loss over, especially when Ford discontinued it.

Your rat problem is something else though. Best of luck with that man. Also a catback wont void your warranty unless Ford can prove that it was at fault for whatever broke which is never the case.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm confused as to how taking a hit trading to a v6 will help you with your worries. Do rats that enjoy chewing on Ecoboost wires not like the way V6 wires taste, or what?

As far as stock EcoBoost reliability the 2017's, just exactly how many of the tens of thousands of stock 2017 engines have you heard had problems to give you this amount of worry?

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol

Which car cost the least amount of money to get into the S550 body style?

The base model, which ford decided would be the V-6. Thank you FoMoCo for your logic, ā€˜cause that meant for any intelligent consumer (ie, understands best bang for the buck) that the base model is f*ing cool! In fact, I think itā€™s the 2nd most desirable model after the GT350R.

After all, with a good tune (may I suggest MPT) the V6 is producing 330 BHP, and it removes the speed limiter giving the V6 a top speed of 157MPH!

And I donā€™t have to worry about emptying a catch can, changing my spark plugs every 7500 miles, or wondering how Iā€™m going to afford paying for a new head every 40,000 miles. Lol

I say go for it! Dump the Egoboost (sic) & get the V6 (or a GT350R;-)!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Lol

Which car cost the least amount of money to get into the S550 body style?

The base model, which ford decided would be the V-6. Thank you FoMoCo for your logic, ā€˜cause that meant for any intelligent consumer (ie, understands best bang for the buck) that the base model is f*ing cool! In fact, I think itā€™s the 2nd most desirable model after the GT350R.

After all, with a good tune (may I suggest MPT) the V6 is producing 330 BHP, and it removes the speed limiter giving the V6 a top speed of 157MPH!

And I donā€™t have to worry about emptying a catch can, changing my spark plugs every 7500 miles, or wondering how Iā€™m going to afford paying for a new head every 40,000 miles. Lol

I say go for it! Dump the Egoboost (sic) & get the V6 (or a GT350R;-)!

A bit unfair as I know many who love their Ecoboosts. Just different flavours. But it is strange to see the V6 finally getting some respect after its demise. This car suffers less of a horsepower hit on 87 so that is the bigger deal now that oil has crossed 60 bucks a barrel. I think my E30 tune by MPT actually puts it north of 340 but you are running on corn. But the performance on cheap gas is the real gift with the V6. And yes the 157 top speed is real and validated time again over several model years.
Sponsored