Sponsored

Considering an Ecoboost Convertible

MA1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435i
Hello to all

I’m new to this forum. Currently own a 2014 BMW 435i M Sport convertible. Have absolutely loved my time with it but feeling a change. The only thing that will remain the same is that my next car will definitely be another vert.

I’ve been drawn towards Mustangs. One of the big factors is how rare they are here on UK roads, in a sea of German. As it would be a daily driver, even though I only do around 6000 miles a year, I’m more interested in the 2.3 Ecoboost as opposed to the V8.

It would be great to get the opinions of those who own an Ecoboost vert especially if you’ve made the switch from a Bimmer or equivalent. Any comments on fuel economy, handling, common issues, what to look out for etc would be much appreciated. Also how good are the auto gearboxes on these?

I’d imagine the Ecoboost probably won’t sound as good as the N55 but I can already picture summer cruises with the roof down in the ‘Stang!!

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I got my '18 Premium vert after 7 years in a 2011 Camaro vert. The top is light years ahead of the problem-plagued Camaro's. Quiet, quick operation, and a rattle-free ride when its up. That said, it's not without its problems. I looked up at the passenger side interior of the top the other day to find the headliner had gotten itself caught in the top mechanism. This fabric is not attached to anything along the outer edge of the interior of the roof by the windows, and getting caught in the mechanism during top closure stretched it out, and now it just flops there, waiting to get caught in the mechanism again. I need to take it in.

The rest of the car has been a joy.....1 of my 2 Mustangs that haven't displayed any transmission troubles. (My coupe has been another story). If you get one that doesn't have transmission problems, you'll love it.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Why not test drive both the EB and the GT I do 8 to 9 k a year and its not that bad on fuel. Servicing and insurance I figure may be higher. What ever you decide be prepared for so much attention, they really do stand out and seem to make people happy.

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
Suggest that you have a drive in both before you decide. Not sure that in “real world driving” that there will be much of a difference in the MPG. Plus at 6,000 miles per year (unless they will all be in traffic?) the total cost difference will be negligible...
Enjoy, whichever one you choose!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If i was getting an Eco I wouldn't get a vert. One of the advantages of the Eco over the V8 is handling with the lighter engine but by getting a vert you compromise the handling.
You're unlikely to notice difference in mpg at only 6k miles a year compared to V8

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
After much deliberation over which spec of Mustang and trying all the combinations I settled for a V8 convertible auto*. I’d recommend trying both the Ecoboost and the V8 before making the final decision. Fuel can vary quite a bit depending on how you drive the car, for example I can get 22mpg going to work but 35mpg going up the motorway.

I haven’t driven the new (facelift) auto but the older 6 speed is great on our roads, I actually don’t miss the manual.

I was however unlucky with my roof and this is something you need to check when buying because the dealers aren’t trained in convertible roofs or how to repair them, they’re just have a go techs. Check for damage as per this thread below, if you find damage then walk away!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-for-damage-new-tonneau-caps-required.116472/

*Decision made due to a knee problem

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Ecoboost is a brilliant car I had one before I took the plunge and swapped for the V8. For me the mpg difference was small, I rarely go on motorways so it’s never going to be amazing, in the Ecoboost I was getting 22-23, in the V8 I’m getting 18-20.

Motorways the V8 is really good on fuel to be honest but if you want the Ecoboost then go for it, don’t listen to anyone who says it’s not a proper mustang etc as it’s a lovely car to drive and much more predictable in the twisty bits with the lighter front end.

OP
OP

MA1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435i
Cheers all for the comments thus far. I really do need to drive both.

In all fairness, I was expecting the V8 to be quite a fair bit worse on MPG but maybe not. I’ll admit I do prefer the power delivery of turbo engines.

Quite concerning to read about the roof mechanism though. My hard top is faultless. Are the roof issues really common?

Is the 6 speed auto free of problems? Is it a ZF unit?

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert

In all fairness, I was expecting the V8 to be quite a fair bit worse on MPG but maybe not. I’ll admit I do prefer the power delivery of turbo engines.

Quite concerning to read about the roof mechanism though. My hard top is faultless. Are the roof issues really common?

I've had mine since it first came out in 2015. I use it nearly daily 7 months out of the year for the past 5 years and mechanically speaking, it's still flawless.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16

?
No problems with the mechanism. The early trim caps caused chafing of the hood which can be bad enough to need replacement.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
I wanted a manual but ended up with an auto, stick it in sport and bang through the gears on the paddles it brilliant! Plus it blips the throttle on downshifts which I love doing.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible

It’s a ZF 6 speed yes, there have been people report issues with them but they are few and far between, nothing to really write home about. If you want to see what they’re capable of then head to YouTube and look at the Mustangs repeatedly running them on the drag strip with modified engines. The nice thing about them is you can always reset the gearbox and it will re-calibrate to your driving style.

The manuals bear their own burdens though with quite a number of people finding issues over time.

I’ve not heard of many roof mechanisms having issues, the only real problem is the caps. If you find a car with no cap damage and the roof is as it left ten factory then you’ll be just fine. Just don’t fit the caps!

OKCecoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost premium convertible 6 speed, velocity blue
I’ve had my 2020 Ecoboost convertible for about a month (USA). For me, I didn’t care about performance differences, in my opinion a convertible is a cruiser...get the hardtop if you want a race car. The Ecoboost has plenty of power for me and is a ton of fun to drive. My final decision came to how badly I wanted the pony package, which is only on the Ecoboost, vs the awesome sound of the v8. I also felt like it was a better value to get everything I wanted interior-wise plus Insurance cost was half.

Mine is a fun weekender, not a daily driver and I have yet to take it on the highway for more than about 5 miles. I have a little over 300 miles on it and am averaging about 26 mpg without trying at all to conserve fuel. At the same time, I don’t drive it like a race car either. Manual transmission, btw
Sponsored