BigBen5.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Purple GT
I made the dumb mistake and had my stock exhaust cut out and welded:doh:
I ordered the Stainless works longtubes yesterday. Cant wait for them to arrive. However I don't have a catback to install. How bad would it be to run straight long tubes on my car until I order the mbrp catback?? I understand the car will be stupid loud but I don't know any other route to take. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
It will be crazy loud....if you keep your foot out of it you might get by. Get your cat back as soon as possible.

RubyRedBoost

Traded EB old name New GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT with PP
To be completely honest its a rather bad idea. My car actually runs 100times better with the hi-fo cats in. You always run the serious risk off floating a valve. I would wait.

OP
OP

BigBen5.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Purple GT
Thanks for the advice. Ill try to get my hands on a stock exhaust until I can get the catback.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Definitely sucking a valve would be a risk. What exactly did you do to your stock exhaust?

Sponsored

Ramen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Better download the uber app until you get your catback. :D

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
Floating/sucking a valve with opens headers? That's a new one to me. Loud? Yes, but it should be fine. It may not like it power/tune wise, but you should be fine until you get an exhaust system installed. Another option is to just park the car for a couple weeks until you get an exhaust, or gasp, wait to install the headers. I keep thinking of all the drag cars running open headers, someone should probably warn them about valve float. Crap I wish someone would have told me this bit of info on several cars that I have owned. I wouldn't have run open headers........

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
lol. that's some "danger to teh manifold" sh!t right there!

your valves will be fine but you are in more danger of getting shot by people around you. oh wait, you're in california, nevermind, they will just throw flowers at you.

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Where in SoCal are you located? I have a stock exhaust sitting around that is uncut up

Sponsored

RubyRedBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT with PP
The fact yall are trying to argue in the sake of open headers is silly. Nothing good to come from this.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
The fact yall are trying to argue in the sake of open headers is silly. Nothing good to come from this.
no one is recommending running open headers on the street, we are laughing at the idea it will cause floating a valve (someone doesn't know what this means) or sucking a valve (no one knows what that means). :headbonk:

RubyRedBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT with PP
Floating a valve is primarily caused when the valvetrain does not properly follow the closure phase of the cam lobe. Lack of back pressure in an engine can cause failure. Variations in normal engine operations skew when you manipulate variables. Especially in high rpm situations. Idk about yall but thats how I drive mine.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
if you're dumb enough to do it (jk) then at least record it!

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
Floating a valve is primarily caused when the valvetrain does not properly follow the closure phase of the cam lobe. Lack of back pressure in an engine can cause failure. Variations in normal engine operations skew when you manipulate variables. Especially in high rpm situations. Idk about yall but thats how I drive mine.
Lack of back pressure will not cause valve float. Valve float is caused by a valve spring not being able to keep up with the cam lobe. If a lack of back pressure can overpower the spring pressure, you need to replace the worn out valve springs.

Anyone who thinks "back pressure" is a good thing in an exhaust system needs their head checked. Back pressure is bad you want a scavaging effect for maximum flow. This means that the exhaust flowing in the system helps pull out the gas in the next cyl to start the exhaust stroke. This also assists in filling the cyl when it enters its intake stroke. It helps by pulling the fresh air charge, during the cam overlap phase. (I.e. Both intake and exhaust valves open at the same time)

A set of open headers will not hurt an exhaust valve. It will not assist in valve float, it will have no effect on it one way or the other. The car may or may not loose power (due to tuning or lack of) it will be really loud, and will probably cause your fillings in your teeth to come loose from all the noise. But it's not going do a thing to an exhaust valve.
Sponsored