Sponsored

Concerns about the integrity of my GT-350 front "Stock" brake pads.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Today I was inspecting my "19" GT-350 for up coming HPDE at the Mid-Ohio track, and was looking at the "OEM" pads that I put on for "Track" use. I have the "Powerstop Extreme" Z26 pads on the car for street driving strictly for the lack of brake dust compared to the "OEM" pads.
My concern is with the development of what looks like cracks in the pad material, see attached photos. My car has almost 12,000 miles on it, these pads have around 2,000 miles on them with 24, 20 minute track sessions on them. Looking for honest input from others who "Track" their cars.
Thanks for the help, because when I push on the brakes the car needs to stop.

E26AB402-A80A-4B81-B71C-88287A18B7D4.jpeg

837BFEBA-D5AE-4181-8328-7623BC719860.jpeg

1C760FA8-92B1-409D-B807-3038533698A9.jpeg
Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Interested in others' thoughts, but that's what my OEM pads generally look like after tracking them. I do the same as you - Z26 for street, OEM pads for track.

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
Interested in others' thoughts, but that's what my OEM pads generally look like after tracking them. I do the same as you - Z26 for street, OEM pads for track.
Do you have the Caliperfexion caliper studs to allow for quick pad changes?

I want to get a set, but can't get a response from the Caliperfexion.net website, and Epiphany isn't responding to my messages on this forum re: the caliper studs (I know that his wife runs the caliper stud business, not him, but was hoping he could at least let me know if they've shut it down). My mechanic has been unsuccessful getting a response as well.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I do, and I'm so glad I do, they're amazing for frequent pad swaps.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Those pads look fine to me.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They look thin/worn to me, but I wouldn't worry about the cracks at all.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They look thin/worn to me, but I wouldn't worry about the cracks at all.
You’re not wrong. It’s a judgement call. Rule of thumb I follow is not to start a track weekend with pads where the friction material is thinner than the backing plates. These are close. Depends on car/driver/track and willingness to monitor.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You’re not wrong. It’s a judgement call. Rule of thumb I follow is not to start a track weekend with pads where the friction material is thinner than the backing plates. These are close. Depends on car/driver/track and willingness to monitor.
Yes. If my post came off as wishy-washy, it's because I typically over-maintain my brakes. So I never ran my pads that thin. I'm not sure how much life is left in those. I guess it depends on how hard they are used.

I would prefer to change them a little too soon rather than mess up a rotor or miss a turn at the track. Even just deciding to leave the track early or skipping a session is something I really want to avoid.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better safe than sorry. Do what’s been working for you.

OP
OP
SL8888

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Any thoughts on what pads might be a good upgrade, that would not beat up the stock rotors ? Or should I purchase another pair of Stock "Ford" pads ? I agree with your thoughts and "Hacks" mindset on missing track time or running off a corner.

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any thoughts on what pads might be a good upgrade, that would not beat up the stock rotors ? Or should I purchase another pair of Stock "Ford" pads ? I agree with your thoughts and "Hacks" mindset on missing track time or running off a corner.
There are a lot of factors. If you’ve been pleased with the performance of OE pads, you can stay with them. I’ve heard some really good things about Pagid RSL 29 pads in terms of longevity and performance. I’ve heard some people trash Hawk, but I love ‘em. Great pads that brake hard, wear well and are not bad on rotors at all. Until you move to dedicated track tires, you’re prolly fine on OE pads.

Let’s start with what are your current goals? Tires? Mods?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SL8888

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
I have the stock wheels with the "Cup 2s" that came on the car when I purchased it new, another stock set with Michelin Super Sports that I bought because I was tired of the tramline around town. Vorshlag camber plates, Steeda lowering springs and subframe support braces. My goals are to drive the car to the Mid-Ohio track (80 miles) being smooth on the track, and utilize the all around performance of this car (Cornering, Braking, Accelerating), then drive it back home.
Are you at all familiar with the Mid-Ohio track ?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
those are fine dude.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the stock wheels with the "Cup 2s" that came on the car when I purchased it new, another stock set with Michelin Super Sports that I bought because I was tired of the tramline around town. Vorshlag camber plates, Steeda lowering springs and subframe support braces. My goals are to drive the car to the Mid-Ohio track (80 miles) being smooth on the track, and utilize the all around performance of this car (Cornering, Braking, Accelerating), then drive it back home.
Are you at all familiar with the Mid-Ohio track ?
I have not driven Mid-Ohio, but I’m led to believe it’s not especially hard on brakes.

With your mods, tires and goals I think you can have a great time on stock pads. Looking at the photos again, I expect you’ll want to change the pads after the event. Since you’re already in the habit of swapping for daily driving, you could just bring a new set with you and swap after the first day if needed. The key will be monitoring the wear.

Also be alert for brake fade. As the pads get thinner more heat goes into the caliper and fluid. Make sure your fluid is fresh high temp stuff. If you get signs of fading it’s time to back off and re-evaluate.

Bottom line, I think there’s another day or another weekend in those pads. But there’s nothing wrong with playing it safe.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I would measure the thickness. Brand new they are just over 9 mm thick. For reference, the backing plate is ~5 mm thick. To my eye your pads look to have about 6 or 6.5 mm of friction material left, which means you've used ~3 mm of material over your previous 24 track sessions.
Sponsored