Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Now THAT would sock. I think I'll just hand tighten them with a ratchet wrench and call it a day. Assuming they are even loose to begin with. It could be that the hood is just flexing a little due to the giant hole in the centre of it.
Correct, no torque wrenches anywhere near these bolts. Just the smallest possible wrench and one finger tighten method.😬

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'll check when I get home. No biggie. Was going to check them when I install Hood Struts anyways.
A few people on here have said hood struts stopped their hood flutter, so I’d check the tightness of the bolts and install the struts. I had struts on since basically the day I bought the car and have had them on the “unnamed hood brand” hood before I even started the car up after installation. I have no hood flutter at all so far-

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Thanks, fellas. I'm going to order a set of FP or Steeda Hood Struts this evening when I get home.

I'm not worried about catastrophic failure as the hood latch will secure it. It's just more something my gf likes to point out from time to time LOL

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Ok, took my lunch, drove home and grabbed a 10mm box wrench (can you believe I don't have any ratchet wrenches that small?!?!?!).

The 4 hood mount bolts were snug/hand-tight. Without a torque wrench, I'll have to guess if they are "13 feet pounds" or not but they were snug and of course, I didn't want to over-tighten for fear of snapping them off. Those suckers do look kinda fragile.

I'll order a set of Hood Struts this evening or this weekend and see if that resolves the issue. I kinda wanted them anyways so if it resolves the flutter it'll be a win-win.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Ok, took my lunch, drove home and grabbed a 10mm box wrench (can you believe I don't have any ratchet wrenches that small?!?!?!).

The 4 hood mount bolts were snug/hand-tight. Without a torque wrench, I'll have to guess if they are "13 feet pounds" or not but they were snug and of course, I didn't want to over-tighten for fear of snapping them off. Those suckers do look kinda fragile.

I'll order a set of Hood Struts this evening or this weekend and see if that resolves the issue. I kinda wanted them anyways so if it resolves the flutter it'll be a win-win.
If you or anyone goes with torque wrench, keep in mind that the torque value indicated in the link that I shared is incorrect and probably one of the reasons for breaking the bolt. There was a discussion on it somewhere in this thread.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
@tosha I did tighten them a bit but didn't use a torque wrench as I didn't want to snap them.

I just ordered the Ford Performance hood struts (Ford Racing M-16826-MA Hood Lift Kit) as two people have DM'd me to say that is the way to go. I was gonna go with Steeda ones but the amount required to get it to Canada is cost-prohibitive and I'm still trying to sort out another order with them that got cancelled somehow LOL

Here is a video of my driving back from the office. It's not the wind, it's not high speed on highways etc. It's just regular driving.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
@tosha I did tighten them a bit but didn't use a torque wrench as I didn't want to snap them.

I just ordered the Ford Performance hood struts (Ford Racing M-16826-MA Hood Lift Kit) as two people have DM'd me to say that is the way to go. I was gonna go with Steeda ones but the amount required to get it to Canada is cost-prohibitive and I'm still trying to sort out another order with them that got cancelled somehow LOL

Here is a video of my driving back from the office. It's not the wind, it's not high speed on highways etc. It's just regular driving.

Yeah, now I see it, it's more like waves going over the surface on bad roads. My flutter was different, but then the hood is not the same either. Hope struts will help add some rigidity and will mitigate the issue.

PS these GTA roads do suck, eh? 😄 I made a bad decision to take my mustang to downtown this weekend. Cheez, what a rally stage and a driving shitshow that was. Some countries in Asia have better roads than us.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
PS these GTA roads do suck, eh? 😄 I made a bad decision to take my mustang to downtown this weekend. Cheez, what a rally stage and a driving shitshow that was. Some countries in Asia have better roads than us.
Agreed. I tend not to drive the Mustang downtown if I can help it. I went down to Pai a couple of months ago but that was the last time I took the Mustang down there. Too crowded and too many people with beaters that don't give a shiz on whether they hit you or not cause their insurance will get them a new beater to crash around.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I was thinking... maybe having the bodyshop weld a small thin piece of aluminum that is about 2 or 3 inches wide, about 1/8th of an inch thick and the width of the hood. Something like that should be able to fit up underneath on the side of the hood closest to the windscreen. That would definitely provide some rigidity as it would spread the structure out across the beam.

Probably cost me another $200-$300 on an already insanely expensive item LOL
Sponsored