Cold weather track days?

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
The last open track day for my local track is this wednesday, and it's looking like a low of 35, high of 50 degrees for that day. Track temps would be a bit warmer. The only tires I have to run are the Michelin PS4S's. Obviously cooling will be less of an issue than usual, but do I risk damaging the tires by running so cold? Would you track your car in 40 degree weather?
Sponsored

m3bs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36M3 Tracktoy
40 should be fine. Grip will be reduced, but just go easy until you get some heat in them.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I was on track Saturday. It started out low 30's as I'm driving to the track. The ps4s michelins were fine. I never tracked a GT before or run the stock michelin tires. Saturday I found 34psi hot to give me best grip. Next time I'm going lower.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
From experience I can attest you will be fine. Even 10 degrees colder you’ll be fine. Give it a few laps for the tires to warm. 50 degree ambient and sunny day would = awesome track temps!

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Woke up on a fine Noverber morning at Summit Point to find frost covering my car.
It was not an issue after a few tentative laps.
Baring ice, cool weather is much better than hot weather to run a track day. Heat is the enemy of nearly everything in or on your car.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Just start a little slower then usual , once heat builds then you are fine. Cold track days are the best :)

autox in the cold is a little more of an issue

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The last open track day for my local track is this wednesday, and it's looking like a low of 35, high of 50 degrees for that day. Track temps would be a bit warmer. The only tires I have to run are the Michelin PS4S's. Obviously cooling will be less of an issue than usual, but do I risk damaging the tires by running so cold? Would you track your car in 40 degree weather?
You'll be well above the 20°F temperature where Michelin advises not doing anything with them, not even adjusting inflation pressure. See the Note toward the bottom of the Description.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

I would (and have) run track days with temperatures in that general range. Give your tires a longer and gentler warmup before picking up to a really serious pace. On your out lap on your first session, there's some increased risk of locking the tires up, and where they're a bit sluggish about going back to fully rolling, so be a little easier with the brakes on that lap as well. Brake pads warm up faster than tires do. Been there,

The good news is that you'll be somewhat less likely to overheat those tires.

Norm
Sponsored