Sponsored

Cold Engine 1st Gear Throttle Input

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
When my car is cool, i.e., in the morning or leaving work in the evenings after sitting all day in the parking garage, if I give the car a slight amount of gas for a very brief moment, then take my foot off the gas, the car continues to accelerate in 1st gear for 1-2 more seconds until it reaches around 2,300 rpm or so, even though my foot is completely off the accelerator for those 1-2 seconds. I have even taken it off at 1,500 rpm, but it continues to accelerate for almost 1000 rpm by itself!

Anyone else have this issue? It's annoying, and also a safety issue, because while it's not a lot of throttle, and I can overcome it with the brakes, it isn't something that should be considered normal.

My car is an '18 GT A10 PP1.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TLW1022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3464
When my car is cool, i.e., in the morning or leaving work in the evenings after sitting all day in the parking garage, if I give the car a slight amount of gas for a very brief moment, then take my foot off the gas, the car continues to accelerate in 1st gear for 1-2 more seconds until it reaches around 2,300 rpm or so, even though my foot is completely off the accelerator for those 1-2 seconds. I have even taken it off at 1,500 rpm, but it continues to accelerate for almost 1000 rpm by itself!

Anyone else have this issue? It's annoying, and also a safety issue, because while it's not a lot of throttle, and I can overcome it with the brakes, it isn't something that should be considered normal.

Nope....That's not good

Get it looked at

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Before I tuned the car, mine never did that, but it did have a pretty wicked 1-2 cold hard shift after a split second hesitation. Like I said, tuning solved that. Ford's stock A10 tuning is pretty horrible in my opinion. You'll be amazed at how well this A10 shapes up and stops acting schizo once you have a top tuner do his thing.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Have you owned the car since brand new or is there a chance it has been tuned by a previous owner? My absolutely stock 2018 GT PP1 A10 has done nothing like you describe in the 17K miles since I purchased it new in January 2018. I normally use D and normal drive mode but no difference in S and Track drive mode. I normally left foot brake for street driving (right foot brake for autocross) but I would notice any need for significant brake pressure due to what you describe. FYI my car was assembled in late December 2017 and has not been subject to any recalls or TSB's.

FatBurritoEater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1 (Race Red)
Mine did the same thing when it's particularly cold, especially when it was newer, but it seems to have stopped doing it somewhere around 3500 miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Have you owned the car since brand new or is there a chance it has been tuned by a previous owner? My absolutely stock 2018 GT PP1 A10 has done nothing like you describe in the 17K miles since I purchased it new in January 2018. I normally use D and normal drive mode but no difference in S and Track drive mode. I normally left foot brake for street driving (right foot brake for autocross) but I would notice any need for significant brake pressure due to what you describe. FYI my car was assembled in late December 2017 and has not been subject to any recalls or TSB's.
I bought it new, bone stock, stock tune.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On my 2018 (A10, 3.55), sometimes on a cold start I notice a slight tendency to accelerate more than I expect when I first start rolling at parking-lot speeds, where the car seems to pick up a little speed by itself. But I don't think mine gets anywhere near 2300 rpm.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
On my 2018 (A10, 3.55), sometimes on a cold start I notice a slight tendency to accelerate more than I expect when I first start rolling at parking-lot speeds, where the car seems to pick up a little speed by itself. But I don't think mine gets anywhere near 2300 rpm.
Yeah, that sounds like what this is. Maybe I'm a little off on the rpm. But it does last 1 to 1.5 seconds after my foot is off the pedal, if I had to give a more accurate guess. And it typically happens when I've given it a little gas just to get rolling slowly in the parking garage, then let off, and then it continues accelerating on its own for a moment.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
The idle with mine is maybe 1000 - 1100 rpm in neutral when "cold". However, mine is garaged, rarely is parked outside in cold weather during the day, and I don't live in Idaho where you may experience more winter cold weather than I do in Raleigh. Also since I left foot brake I can use the slightly high idle as a substitute for some throttle when slowly backing out of my garage.
Sponsored