Cold air intake upgrade?

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
I work in the automotive aftermarket- never had a stock Mustang before- is it weird that this car is the first car I dont see a need to modify?

I mean more power to the people modifying their cars as it supports my industry - I dont like to see a row of cars that all are exactly the same outside of color - but usually when I buy a car I have a list of things I want to change but not with this one.....it feels weird lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I work in the automotive aftermarket- never had a stock Mustang before- is it weird that this car is the first car I dont see a need to modify?

I mean more power to the people modifying their cars as it supports my industry - I dont like to see a row of cars that all are exactly the same outside of color - but usually when I buy a car I have a list of things I want to change but not with this one.....it feels weird lol

I get it. This car is complete and if I did nothing to it, I'd be perfectly happy. But...wanting to be ever so slightly different than everyone else...

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Yep I definitely get it- I am the guy that used to buy modifications for a car I was planning to buy before I even bought the car lol

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
OP - why not reach out to AED or Palm Beach Dyno (or similar tuners) for their thoughts on CAIs for the 350?

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
OP - why not reach out to AED or Palm Beach Dyno (or similar tuners) for their thoughts on CAIs for the 350?

I don't know who they are...

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Here’s a video that explains in detail about open and closed box CAI kits.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Broid - I would just look up the ones I mentioned and call or email them. Most tuners are pretty friendly and I think it's important to get advice from the people who actually dyno tune cars. They have the real knowledge of whether or not the CAI is of any benefit.

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Broid - I would just look up the ones I mentioned and call or email them. Most tuners are pretty friendly and I think it's important to get advice from the people who actually dyno tune cars. They have the real knowledge of whether or not the CAI is of any benefit.
Good advice, thanks...

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Here’s a video that explains in detail about open and closed box CAI kits.

Good video, very informative, thanks!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I figured that would point you in the right direction toward making the decision that is right for you. Alex is actually one of the tuners at Lund Racing, so it’s safe to say, he knows a thing or two, about a thing or two.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
But does a tune void the warranty?
Generally yes, they have to prove that your modification caused the damage though, but lots of warranty issues get denied because of the car being tuned. Also, flashing it back stock before taking it in for a warranty service doesn't do much good, as they look at key cycles vs. mileage, and any time you flash the car, your count goes to zero.

moby4dick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
But does a tune void the warranty?
I just purchased a GT350R, previous owner had installed JLT AOS’s. Noticed some metal shavings in the oil from the passenger side AOS can and of course became very nervous. Brought the car to a Ford dealer.

Basically I got grilled about the AOS’s, are they aftermarket? Is the car tuned? (I had no idea). They said first thing they would do is check for a tune and if so would’ve even work on the car and mentioned would void warranty. Well thank G-d a) no tune, b) didn’t find any more shavings in the drained oil, one small flake in the oil filter. But if there were shavings they would have denied my warranty and I’d be on the hook for a $25K engine plus labor.

Now in terms of power, I’ve seen dubious claims of 5-10HP for other cars (I came from Sport Compact world), but a) even if true, does that translate to anything your butt dyno feels, and b) unless you’re tuned, won’t the ECU just pull timing since you’d be running lean, netting zero gains?

So I guess what I’m saying is a CAI really doesn’t add any appreciable power gains, even if tuned, and then you risk voiding your warranty. I second the idea of getting lighter wheels or maybe a CF driveshaft for something that will offer a real benefit. Of course both those options are a whole lot more than a CAI…

vVCOBRAVv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Z06, S3, Jeep JL Eco Diesel, Armada
He's right, but he neglects to mention short ram vs. real cold air. Short rams just pull from the engine bay, real engineered cold airs drop into a fender or headlight area. But lets be honest, these are only for the bolt on guys trying to make 4 or 5 more WHP... Try to stay close to stock location as the factory engineers have typically done a great job in the tunnels... except forced induction guys going direct vent to atmosphere. You can always be like Cleetus, get rid of the hood completely. IMO, I love hearing the induction sounds, especially when the phasers open, was similar to when the old Cobra IMRC's opened. Chevy guys would always replace intake plenums and utilize stock locations for CAI's, but with the high horsepower N/A Coyotes and now the new LT6, they use harmonics and actual science of resonance to force extra air into the engine naturally. If you're after sound, aftermarket CAI's are for you. If you have a power adder you're going direct vent and cutting bodywork to compensate. Bolt-ons are for your personal taste, you may shave a 10th, but most likely not, cause if youre only doing bolt-ons, chances are you haven't spent much time in a racecar. #Drivermod. Grocery getters and steakhouse valet'd cars wont spend much time on the track, but they will sound great with the bolt on's. My $0.2...
Sponsored