Cold air intake in fender well

Table Lamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamp
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey I would really really love some help I have a daily driver 2019 ecoboost and I want a cold air intake but I want one that goes into the finder well I have the GT500 bumper and I have 2 big vents on the bottom of each side I also cut my finder liners so air that gets pushed through those vents will shoot out of the finder liners into the wheels the only thing that I’m worried about is if I put the cold air intake down there water rocks and mud will get on the intake and I’m really scared to hydro lock my engine but I really really want to put my cold air intake down there. I feel like it will get so much cool air constantly if it was down there.

IMG_9542.jpeg

IMG_9724.jpeg

IMG_9726.jpeg

IMG_9638.jpeg
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Unless you drive in huge puddles and heavy rain, you're not going to have an issue with hydrolocking the engine. Rocks and dirt might be an issue, but you just have to keep up with cleaning the filter more often. I wouldn't worry about mud unless you go off-roading for some reason.

But...it seems overkill. The OEM setup is perfect for what you want eg. cool air. By sealing the intake box to the front snorkel (and maybe adding a velossa tech) you get 100% cool air from the front of the car and a bit of ram air too.

OP
OP
Table Lamp

Table Lamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamp
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Unless you drive in huge puddles and heavy rain, you're not going to have an issue with hydrolocking the engine. Rocks and dirt might be an issue, but you just have to keep up with cleaning the filter more often. I wouldn't worry about mud unless you go off-roading for some reason.

But...it seems overkill. The OEM setup is perfect for what you want eg. cool air. By sealing the intake box to the front snorkel (and maybe adding a velossa tech) you get 100% cool air from the front of the car and a bit of ram air too.
Yeah I always was the one that liked the closed box element but after looking at my finder well I have been more and more interested in putting the air intake down there thank you sooooo much btw😁

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
Why not get a ram air funnel for the stock-ish location instead?

OP
OP
Table Lamp

Table Lamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamp
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Why not get a ram air funnel for the stock-ish location instead?
I would but I want a lot of turbo noise😂 and more performance and I think putting it down there will give it more than enough air because it’s taking air from the front of the car and the tires spinning and throwing air on it as well and it keeps it away from the engine but the added danger of water and debris

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Good Lord. :facepalm:

Ozcraig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Coupe
I had a Toyota Camry with the air inlet in the fender well. Apparently it is an ideal location for small rodents to enter, looking for warmth, and die in the air box cos they can't get out again. Took several days to locate the source of the rotten smell.

OP
OP
Table Lamp

Table Lamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamp
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
I had a Toyota Camry with the air inlet in the fender well. Apparently it is an ideal location for small rodents to enter, looking for warmth, and die in the air box cos they can't get out again. Took several days to locate the source of the rotten smell.
Danggggg Yeah I heard of a lot of crazy stuff gathering in air boxes I had cleaned my air box out one day and it had sand flies dirt and all of that stuff in it and that’s why I kinda wanna go with no box but I also wanna hear that turbo more and hopefully have some pretty decent HP gains

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would but I want a lot of turbo noise😂 and more performance and I think putting it down there will give it more than enough air because it’s taking air from the front of the car and the tires spinning and throwing air on it as well and it keeps it away from the engine but the added danger of water and debris
Can't argue with that, love it. I would say keep it close to the backside of the bumper and maybe fab a little interior mudflap type thing to keep the tires from throwing stuff directly at the element without actually making an enclosure.

Sponsored

Ozcraig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Coupe
Danggggg Yeah I heard of a lot of crazy stuff gathering in air boxes I had cleaned my air box out one day and it had sand flies dirt and all of that stuff in it and that’s why I kinda wanna go with no box but I also wanna hear that turbo more and hopefully have some pretty decent HP gains
Perhaps some sort of screen on the inlet might filter out the unwanteds?

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No airbox, no problem (taps head)😎

OP
OP
Table Lamp

Table Lamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamp
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
[/QUO
Can't argue with that, love it. I would say keep it close to the backside of the bumper and maybe fab a little interior mudflap type thing to keep the tires from throwing stuff directly at the element without actually making an enclosure.
I was thinking the same thing I was also thinking of putting this around the the vents
IMG_9731.jpeg

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016