Sponsored

COBB TUNE CLARIFICATION ------

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I won't get into this at length because I'm typing on my cell phone, but when you flash or reflash (back to stock), it sets a P1000 code inside the ECU. That code tells Ford immediately that the ECU has been reset by an external source. That code can't be cleared through an OBDII reader or even seen by it. Ford can see the data with their computer though. Now, the code will go away, but you have to complete the Ford Drive Cycle (FDC) process to cycle the OBD processes and such. Once the Drive Cycling is complete, the code would go away. That's probably where the "200 miles" figure came from. The FDC is reset by a) using the Ford computer to cycle the processes or by b) driving the car various miles at various speeds and loads.

There's also a second variable to consider. The Ignition Counter. Ford can go into Mode 9 and view the Ignctr data and see how many key cycles (pressing on/off) the car has went through. That's why people say to cycle the ignition.

However, with the above said, even if you cycle the ignition counter up in total, you'd still have to complete the FDC for the P1000 code to be wiped out. Once the P1000 is gone and the Ignctr is up there, Ford would be less inclined to believe it would have been flashed.

The above two processes is confirmed in a Ford bulletin to dealerships and is what a SM I recently spoke with told me word for word. There would be a way to muddle the process for them enough to make it look like you hadn't fiddled with the ECU, but I'm not gonna put that out there for the general public (and Ford) to see.

Here's the thing, we mod our engines and it's a risk we take. If we blow them up, we should be responsible enough to cover the cost. If it was a failure because of something else attributed to Ford (like a water pump), then they should cover it.
If someone is really worried about warranty, can they remove the tune (tune+, unleashed, etc), then do the cycle and driving you mentioned above, and then purchase the ford tune?

Would that keep some type of warranty?

Even if considered unethical by some...
Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If someone is really worried about warranty, can they remove the tune (tune+, unleashed, etc), then do the cycle and driving you mentioned above, and then purchase the ford tune?

Not possible if there's a hole in your block LOL

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
lol my friend and I were joking that if our cars blow we can always jack the rear up and spin the tires manually for 200 miles :headbonk: but since we have digital odometers it wouldn't work but still haha

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT

Yup because you would need to take the car to the dealership for them to flash it for you in order to get the warranty

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Your comment is BS... my guess is you can use duck tape. The reports have said #3 has blown. You can patch and drive 200 miles on the other cylinders.

Swear some people don't think.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Yup because you would need to take the car to the dealership for them to flash it for you in order to get the warranty
Obviously I was talking about taking the car in BEFORE someone had issues. :eyebulge:

Would the Ford tune cover the previous tune from say Tune+ or Unleashed?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If you want a warranty don't tune. If you wanna tune and don't wanna waste the extended warranty, I believe you can cash it out and get a refund for the remaining balance left on the extended warranty.

P.S. Now I see why Juben isn't worried about blown motors, he knows a secret way to make his ECU look squeaky clean. ;) (kidding)

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If you want a warranty don't tune. If you wanna tune and don't wanna waste the extended warranty, I believe you can cash it out and get a refund for the remaining balance left on the extended warranty.

P.S. Now I see why Juben isn't worried about blown motors, he knows a secret way to make his ECU look squeaky clean. ;)
No, it's not that. I'm not gonna try to get Ford to cover something that I screwed up because that'd be on me. If something fails and it's not my fault, I'd want them to cover it.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your comment is BS... my guess is you can use duct tape. The reports have said #3 has blown. You can patch and drive 200 miles on the other cylinders.

Swear some people don't think.
Fixed it for you ;)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
No, it's not that. I'm not gonna try to get Ford to cover something that I screwed up because that'd be on me. If something fails and it's not my fault, I'd want them to cover it.
Yeah sorry that was my bad attempt at a joke. In all seriousness though, I'd hope that dealers would cover things unrelated to the engine internals (like water pump) but from the things I've read it sounds like some of them try to blame whatever they can on modifications to try and deny service. Hopefully that's not the case most places.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Yeah sorry that was my bad attempt at a joke. In all seriousness though, I'd hope that dealers would cover things unrelated to the engine internals (like water pump) but from the things I've read it sounds like some of them try to blame whatever they can on modifications to try and deny service. Hopefully that's not the case most places.
I would hope they'd honor the warranty for such items too, but more often than not, it would seem like they'd see an intake and try to say it would mess up an alternator, lol. That's what I'd mostly be concerned about.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
In other words that will work then?

As I said, all ethical considerations out the door.

At any rate, I'd think some people might want to go with the Ford tune just to be safe. I'm not 100% sure what I suggested would even be unethical.

You tune the car. You realize tunes not by Ford are a bad idea. Ford comes out with a Tune. Your car is still operating/running fine. You buy the Ford tune and gets it installed.

But the simple question was, would that work. Sounds like it would.

And get your duck tape ready.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Fixed it for you.. can't stand when people don't use periods correctly! Get it together!!!!
ok, good luck with your duck tape :lol:

05 GSXR 1XXX

Techin in
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB
Can someone pm me a link to the ford tune info? I was unaware they finally released this to public. Thanks
Sponsored