Sponsored

Clutch hardness ?

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I have never driven a manual mustang. I m thinking of may be buying one. Since i live in a big city with some heavy traffic sometimes, i wonder how hard the mach 1 clutch could be. Will it be stiffer than the average transmission, or stiffer than the actual mustang GT ? It s not an easy question but if you can help thank you
Sponsored

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
If you can find a dealer with a GT350 on the lot, that would probably be the closest reference point. It has the same transmission setup as far as what information is available so far. I haven’t driven a manual GT350 or S550, so I couldn’t say. Maybe post this question in the GT350 forum to get a better idea.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would think it shouldn't be any stiffer than a typical GT pedal. And if you find it is to much then just install the Steeda clutch pedal spring. And if the high release point gets to be a bother then install the Steeda clutch line. It will lower the release point closer to the floor so you aren't having to move your foot so high. But like any manual, after about the first 5 to 10 minutes in stop and go traffic you'll start thinking about how nice an auto would be at that moment.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the gym i need to workout my left leg for sure. And what s the point how long in heavy traffic i can support a manual

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My Mustang’s clutch is the lightest clutch of any of my cars. It’s definitely very easy to drive in traffic... I’d argue it’s easier than driving my truck in traffic as it takes more force on my truck’s brake pedal to hold it still than it does on the clutch of my Mustang. Plus, another thing that makes the Mustang SUPER easy to drive in traffic is that you can let it creep at idle in 1st and it’ll only hit 7mph or so... with the GT350 trans, it’ll probably be even easier because it’ll only hit like 4-5mph

The GT350’s clutch pedal doesn’t really feel any different from the GT. I even installed a Steeda clutch spring which makes the clutch heavier, and it’s still the lightest clutch of all my cars. The most difficult about it is the twin disk clutch grabs fast, so you have to adjust your technique to hold the bite point a bit longer for a smoother ride.

But long story short, yes, you could definitely deal with traffic in a manual Mustang

Sponsored

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you it helps me a lot.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I would think it shouldn't be any stiffer than a typical GT pedal. And if you find it is to much then just install the Steeda clutch pedal spring. And if the high release point gets to be a bother then install the Steeda clutch line. It will lower the release point closer to the floor so you aren't having to move your foot so high. But like any manual, after about the first 5 to 10 minutes in stop and go traffic you'll start thinking about how nice an auto would be at that moment.
The Steeda clutch spring replaces the overpowered stock spring with one with less power to actually increase clutch effort, and more importantly feedback. So if the stock clutch is too much (if you are 3 years old, or have a broken leg maybe), it would make things worse.

The GT350's I have driven are similar to my 2015 GT with the Steeda spring in effort. So a bit stiffer than the overboosted feeling clutch pedal of the standard 15-17 GT. I haven't driven a 18+ GT to see how they compare (they do use a different clutch, so I expect they do feel different).

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The Steeda clutch spring replaces the overpowered stock spring with one with less power to actually increase clutch effort, and more importantly feedback. So if the stock clutch is too much (if you are 3 years old, or have a broken leg maybe), it would make things worse.

The GT350's I have driven are similar to my 2015 GT with the Steeda spring in effort. So a bit stiffer than the overboosted feeling clutch pedal of the standard 15-17 GT. I haven't driven a 18+ GT to see how they compare (they do use a different clutch, so I expect they do feel different).
Yeah, I have a 19 and it didn't make it any stiffer. Did make it smooth with a more defined release point than the spongy feeling stock spring. My son has a 17 and it is a noticeably different feel than mine. His still has the stock spring and when he drives mine he complains about mine being to easy to push.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have never driven a manual mustang. I m thinking of may be buying one. Since i live in a big city with some heavy traffic sometimes, i wonder how hard the mach 1 clutch could be. Will it be stiffer than the average transmission, or stiffer than the actual mustang GT ? It s not an easy question but if you can help thank you
Never driven any Mustang other than my GT350, and the only other manual car I am familiar with is my tC. The clutch smoothness feels identical to my tC, I never had a problem with it being too hard or abnormally stiff. I don't think Mustangs are known for having rough clutch pedals.

I learned how to drive manual on my tC so that is my reference point. I'd imagine the Mach 1 the clutch pedal would feel the same as the GT350 since Ford will most likely re-use the same parts.
Sponsored