Sponsored

CLUNK when taking off

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
lately, as I let the clutch out, from a complete stop, I can hear a metallic "CLUNK" from the passenger side rear of the car - at least that's how it sounds from the driver's seat...sometimes louder than other times...but pretty consistant...clutch is holding good, car drives fine, this noise does not present itself under any other condition. Clutch? Driveshaft? Suspension? RH spindle was replaced under warranty one year ago...I have put nearly 30,000 miles on that replacement spindle...car has 49,000 miles on it.
Sponsored

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
lately, as I let the clutch out, from a complete stop, I can hear a metallic "CLUNK" from the passenger side rear of the car - at least that's how it sounds from the driver's seat...sometimes louder than other times...but pretty consistant...clutch is holding good, car drives fine, this noise does not present itself under any other condition. Clutch? Driveshaft? Suspension? RH spindle was replaced under warranty one year ago...I have put nearly 30,000 miles on that replacement spindle...car has 49,000 miles on it.
Did you ever figure this out?

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think it’s the driveshaft. Mine does it too.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think it’s the driveshaft. Mine does it too.
I've been suspicious of the u joints. They wouldn't cost much and replacing them doesn't seem too difficult. I need to just bite the bullet and buy a go pro to mount under the car so I can see what is happening. Right now, my throw out bearing is making noise, my passenger side muffler has loose baffles that rattle, and then there is this click. Until I fix all of these, I'm gonna feel like I'm driving a junker.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
When mine developed a clunking/chirp sound from the right rear at 1000 miles it ended up being the wheel bearing. I changed out the hub assembly and haven't heard it since,and I now have just under 10000 miles.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I've been suspicious of the u joints. They wouldn't cost much and replacing them doesn't seem too difficult. I need to just bite the bullet and buy a go pro to mount under the car so I can see what is happening. Right now, my throw out bearing is making noise, my passenger side muffler has loose baffles that rattle, and then there is this click. Until I fix all of these, I'm gonna feel like I'm driving a junker.
That is how I feel about my car over all the repairs over the years. I have a new pop, squeak, clunk sound every month. Just a beater now.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
When mine developed a clunking/chirp sound from the right rear at 1000 miles it ended up being the wheel bearing. I changed out the hub assembly and haven't heard it since,and I now have just under 10000 miles.
At one point, I had to replace my rear wheel hub assembly too, but that sound was a constant sound that would speed up or slow down depending on how fast I was moving. This sound is just a single click that is not continuous. It just clicks once when I go from a stop to moving forward. The wheel bearing made noise the whole time my wheels were rotating.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
My guess would be the driveshaft. The factory 2 piece design has a fair amount of slop in it. It's especially noticeable in a MT car.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
At one point, I had to replace my rear wheel hub assembly too, but that sound was a constant sound that would speed up or slow down depending on how fast I was moving. This sound is just a single click that is not continuous. It just clicks once when I go from a stop to moving forward. The wheel bearing made noise the whole time my wheels were rotating.
Bearings I've had in the past did just like yours. But not this one. It would only make the noise when I took off or sometimes when I went in reverse. But most always from a stop and when I started moving. Once in a while I would hear it when at slow speed and excellerating. I refused to believe it was my bearing for about another thousand miles. I checked torque on all the bolts in that area. Replaced the axel nut, checked brakes and components, everything I could think of. I even checked the drive shaft for movement. I was about to replace the half shaft until someone convinced me it was the bearing. Plus it was cheaper than the half shaft. But who knows, there are a lot of things to make noises in these cars.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Bearings I've had in the past did just like yours. But not this one. It would only make the noise when I took off or sometimes when I went in reverse. But most always from a stop and when I started moving. Once in a while I would hear it when at slow speed and excellerating. I refused to believe it was my bearing for about another thousand miles. I checked torque on all the bolts in that area. Replaced the axel nut, checked brakes and components, everything I could think of. I even checked the drive shaft for movement. I was about to replace the half shaft until someone convinced me it was the bearing. Plus it was cheaper than the half shaft. But who knows, there are a lot of things to make noises in these cars.

I am having this single semi loud pop sound coming from the rear upon initial reverse out of the garage. It's not the calipers sticking because it happens about two seconds after I am already rolling. I have jacked the car up and checked the wheels for play but there is nothing. Very annoying sound. Sometimes I will get it going forward but it's faint. I have till April for my drivetrain warranty is up. Doubt bearings would be covered but a diff/ gears or axle problem would.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am having this single semi loud pop sound coming from the rear upon initial reverse out of the garage. It's not the calipers sticking because it happens about two seconds after I am already rolling. I have jacked the car up and checked the wheels for play but there is nothing. Very annoying sound. Sometimes I will get it going forward but it's faint. I have till April for my drivetrain warranty is up. Doubt bearings would be covered but a diff/ gears or axle problem would.
I hate those ghost sounds. They are so hard to track down. Have you checked the torque on all your suspension parts on that side?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I hate those ghost sounds. They are so hard to track down. Have you checked the torque on all your suspension parts on that side?

I have not, just got under and visually checked for any cracks in bushings/axle boots. I will do that this upcoming Sunday. Its a weird pop. Non metallic

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have not, just got under and visually checked for any cracks in bushings/axle boots. I will do that this upcoming Sunday. Its a weird pop. Non metallic
That is odd. Best guess is maybe a bolt loosened up and a bushing is popping/slipping. Had a 17 gt that had a odd thump sound when hitting bumps and ended up being the top shock mount bolts loose. Odd yours is louder in reverse.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I'm going to replace the thrust washers between the wheel hub and the half shafts. I'll post later to let you guys know if there's any change. I've read a lot of people replacing the thrust washers to resolve the same issue. In fact, Ford had a TSB about the thrust washers and seems they might have redesigned the thrust washer to make it more durable.
I checked my axle nuts to be sure and they're torqued down really well.
Sponsored