Sponsored

Cloth may really be best.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have to admit, I've been a huge leather fan my whole life. It's smooth and classy looking, wears beautifully, and is easiest to clean.

However, after going back to basic cloth seats this time around, I find myself enjoying the comfort of them far more than the hard factory leather.

With leather, I also sweat down there like crazy in the summer, even when they are cooled. Nothing worse than cold sweaty junk. In the winter, they tend take longer than I would prefer to warm up. That chill up my spine in the morning never gets enjoyable.

The cloth I've noticed, doesn't need to be heated or cooled. They warm up to your body faster in the winter, and allow your body/sweat to breathe in the hot summer.

About the only bad thing about them is cleaning them.

I spoke to an old timer here at work (73yo F1 fan), who has been a car fanatic his whole life. He reminded me that long ago, cars that had so-called prestige, would have a leather seat up front for the driver, and cloth seats in the back for the owners. Because cloth was considered more luxurious.

Funny how that has changed over the years.

I guess Alcantara would be the best luxurious and comfortable compromise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I like leather better generally for practical reasons - it doesn't stain as easily, but is still better and more comfortable than vinyl.

A friend has an '18 GT with cloth seats, and they seem to be differently shaped than the leather seats in mine, and I prefer the feel of those over my leather seats. They are more supportive and more comfortable, and I wish the leather seats were the same shape, just covered in leather for maintainability.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I ordered my PP2 with Cloth Recaros.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have leather, but I'll admit the cloth seats are very nice

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I specifically sought out a base GT because I hate leather seats, but I don't like the radically high bolsters of the cloth Recaros. I've sat in the factory leather seats, and the bolsters do seem softer and not as high as the cloth seats I have. I love the old school pleating pattern of the cloth seats, and they are very supportive and comfortable.

Everyone I've had in my car almost instantly says "wow, I love these seats". I myself drive 50 miles a day, 6 days a week minimum for work, with a bad back, so having comfortable seats was a main priority during my car shopping. Ford did a very good job in the seating department.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I got cloth because it isn't as hot and holds you to the seat better in the corners. I also have an extra set of covers bought here for only $100.

Last edited:

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I really the cloth seats in my base 18. They are comfortable and they are supportive. They do a pretty good job of holding you in during hard driving, maybe not as much a Recaro but still pretty good.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I like my cloth Recaros but they are a damn magnet for pet hair. The black cloth also ends up with white spots if I rub my arm or something on it. Vacuums off though and they are wearing much better than Fods idea if leather would have by now.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Will never buy a car with cloth seats they get super dirty and always look blotchy.

Cloth looks nice but it just doesn’t work for me.

HeartIsBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
By far the best option. I’d pay extra for cloth (luckily, I don’t have to). Doesn’t show wear like leather, doesn’t get as hot/cold as leather, holds you in better than leather during spirited driving/cornering, and is cheaper to buy up front and replace. I like the new “leather” look and how easy it is to wipe down in situations of spills... but every other advantage goes to cloth. I can’t stand how leather cracks and fades in new cars so quickly; cloth is just far more durable.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There is absolutely 0 leather in any Mustang, unless it was installed after-market. "Genuine" leather means pleather, synthetic leather. Ain't got no cow hide in it, not a bit.

There's a whole thread about this.

And Ford's "leather" wears horribly, it just comes apart. My cloth seats are amazingly comfortable, and I've done some 11+ hour days behind the wheel.
Sponsored