Sponsored

Clicking sound while turning right

melown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R / '13 GTI
Mine developed this during a road trip. Sound only happens during hard right turns at speed and the tick started from the front left after some hard driving. It sounds like a rock was stuck in the wheel or brake or a little paper label was stuck int he spoke. I did change to the locking lug nuts before I Left. They were properly torqued. I'll have to put the other nuts back on and retorque it all to 150ft lbs and report back.
Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I have the same clicking issue when turning right. Had my car in for a week and the Ford dealership couldn't track down the issue, blamed it on the rotor and sent me on my way. I'll see what they say about replacing the hub assembly.

By chance do you have the case number they had with Ford that could be referenced by another dealer? If such a thing exists. Would be very much appreciated.
Here is the warranty ticket and the parts they used to fix the clicking noise in the rear hub.
IMG_6770.jpg

note I had them change the lug nuts at the same time just to eliminate that as a possibility of noise. (the lugs are two piece and I wanted to ensure that was not the noise.) This is not required.

madusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey Everyone,

So I was out last night and I noticed this clicking sound coming from what sounded like the front right tire/wheel and it only occurs when turning right. The clicking increased in frequency as the speed of the car increases. I took a look and couldn't really see anything in there. Anybody have an issue like this in the past?
I had the same issue. Today I had a chance to torque the lug nuts to spec and the noise went away.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
I had the same issue. Today I had a chance to torque the lug nuts to spec and the noise went away.
It will probably come back. Mine only went away for a few days. It will not fix the underlying issue of something in the hub making noise... unless the wheels were not torqued correctly and the noise really was just a loose wheel (possible)

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Took my wheels off this morning, cleaned them up and reinstalled. The ticking noise went away. I do not expect that it will stay away.

Sponsored

wjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350; Previous: 2017 GT350, 2016 GT350, 2012 BMW 135i
Took my wheels off this morning, cleaned them up and reinstalled. The ticking noise went away. I do not expect that it will stay away.
On my third attempt to resolve the clicking from the left rear, the dealer said Ford wanted the rear wheels removed, inspect what they could, swap the rear wheels, and torque to spec. It worked for the GT350 in the Car & Driver long term test. Noise went away. After about 100 miles, the clicking is back. I’m calling them again today. For a problem that seems widely reported, I’m not understanding why I’m told that Ford doesn’t have a record of it and doesn’t have a solution other than trial and error. It’s frustrating.

Last edited:

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
If just removing and reinstalling the wheels can make the noise stop for a while, and clearly nothing is going to break or fall off while driving (I have not read about anything like that happening to ANYONE) then doesn't that tell us this is a sound inherent with the car? Whether it's the two piece rotors, the axle assembly or whatever, maybe it's just a sound some of the cars make, perhaps based on the tolerance variances from one car to the next (ie, axle bolt end play, rotors, etc).

Now, as @wjs said, I can't imagine how Ford can deny knowing anything about this. Like he said, even Car and Drive had this problem on their long term test car.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
If just removing and reinstalling the wheels can make the noise stop for a while, and clearly nothing is going to break or fall off while driving (I have not read about anything like that happening to ANYONE) then doesn't that tell us this is a sound inherent with the car? Whether it's the two piece rotors, the axle assembly or whatever, maybe it's just a sound some of the cars make, perhaps based on the tolerance variances from one car to the next (ie, axle bolt end play, rotors, etc).

Now, as @wjs said, I can't imagine how Ford can deny knowing anything about this. Like he said, even Car and Drive had this problem on their long term test car.
The noise that is rotation dependent (clicking) is not inherent in the car. I have had a GT350 and a GT350R. I made it 7,000 miles without the noise in the GT350. I had the wheel hub replaced and it went away because there is a washer in the hub that likes to break and cause noise.

Now, I have 4,000 miles on my GT350R and it does not click. The defective parts should be covered under drivetrain warranty. i.e. 5years.

Now the two piece rotors do make some (normal) noise when the pins expand and contract, but the noise we are talking about is different.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
On my third attempt to resolve the clicking from the left rear, the dealer said Ford wanted the rear wheels removed, inspect what they could, swap the rear wheels, and torque to spec. It worked for the GT350 in the Car & Driver long term test. Noise went away. After about 100 miles, the clicking is back. I’m calling them again today. For a problem that seems widely reported, I’m not understanding why I’m told that Ford doesn’t have a record of it and doesn’t have a solution other than trial and error. It’s frustrating.
This works because it reseats the hub. The noise is not coming from the wheels, but retightening them does help since it allows the part in the hub that is defective to be reseat for a bit.

Have them replace the hub.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I just hate bringing it to the dealer. How many hours does it take to do the hub? Maybe I'll demand to wait for it

Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
I just hate bringing it to the dealer. How many hours does it take to do the hub? Maybe I'll demand to wait for it
Can’t remember how many hours, but they will likely have to order the part. I went it, had it diagnosed, then came back once the part was in.

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350, 19 Expedition, 17 VW Alltrack
Here is the warranty ticket and the parts they used to fix the clicking noise in the rear hub.
IMG_6770.jpg

note I had them change the lug nuts at the same time just to eliminate that as a possibility of noise. (the lugs are two piece and I wanted to ensure that was not the noise.) This is not required.
I’m curious about the wheel bearing part number they used for your car. The 1104-G is supposed to be the rear for everything except GT350/GT350R. 1104-F is for the GT350 Front and 1104-E is for the 350R rear. This is per the Blue Springs Ford Parts catalog. I’m thinking about doing the replacement myself instead of letting the dealer do it. At this point it’s only a slight tic under cornering from my left rear.

Also: has anyone just tried re-torquing their rear wheel bearing nut in case it wasn’t properly torqued from the factory?

Last edited:

wjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350; Previous: 2017 GT350, 2016 GT350, 2012 BMW 135i
This works because it reseats the hub. The noise is not coming from the wheels, but retightening them does help since it allows the part in the hub that is defective to be reseat for a bit.

Have them replace the hub.
I agree with your thinking. The dealer did replace the hub on the second attempt. The clicking went away but returned after about 200 miles. Possibly another bad hub?

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I have gone close to 600 miles since my wheels were put back on after replacing the tires. The clicking has yet to return. It was the left front wheel.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
How can the front be the same noise source as the rear if it's an axle nut?

And how can a car get a new hub then have the noise return a few hundred miles later?

I feel like something else is going on here.
Sponsored