Sponsored

Cleaning R wheels

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Any R owners tried cleaning the front wheels?
Specifically the White coating on back barrel of the wheel.
If so what did you use to get them clean?
Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Have you tried Griots wheel cleaner and one of those long microfiber wheel cleaning tools? I've always used that on some pretty delicate and expensive wheels and have good results. Obviously if you want to stay on top of the cleaning after hard drives and don't let the dust sit on the wheel if possible. If you do wheel removal and some very difficult cleaning will ensue.

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
Was thinking about that. Was planning on removing each wheel for a good detail every onve and a while. we will have to see in time

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's a very porous finish. I don't see it staying very white/clean regardless of what we do.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
It's a very porous finish. I don't see it staying very white/clean regardless of what we do.

This. And due to the finish I would be VERY careful of what I use to clean it.

Sponsored

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
I only have a 100 miles on mine and they're pretty dirty. It'a going to be very difficult to keep the ceramic coating clean.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I wonder if it would make sense to remove the wheels when new, tape them off and paint the barrel. Could use any color, just put a couple coats of clear. so you can clean them.

Or just let the insides get black and don't worry about it ;)

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I wonder if it would make sense to remove the wheels when new, tape them off and paint the barrel. Could use any color, just put a couple coats of clear. so you can clean them.

Yeah I don't think I'd being doing that.

It will require staying on top of to keep the inside of these wheels clean. Using a good quality cleaner that doesn't harm them would also be a must.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

People coat their wheels with ceramic coating to ease cleaning. The place I'll be getting it done at includes taking off all 4 wheels, cleaning and polishing, then coated. Not sure how careful you guys have to be with that special coating, and what you can or can't do to it.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
People coat their wheels with ceramic coating to ease cleaning. The place I'll be getting it done at includes taking off all 4 wheels, cleaning and polishing, then coated. Not sure how careful you guys have to be with that special coating, and what you can or can't do to it.
While I haven't read anything specific to the R wheel the coating looks exactly like the e coating that arrow race wheels and others use to either protect the wheel itself from heat or reduce the transfer of heat to the wheel and thus the tire bead. Matter of fact some coat the inside of the wheel also.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
There is a SSM from Ford about not removing coating, its been a minute since I read it. I will try to find and post.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Here is another cleaner option that I have used on some very difficult to clean and expensive wheels and it works well.
http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html

Here is a video, the ammo cleaner I believe to be a copy of the Sonax with the Ammo tax applied.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Here is another cleaner option that I have used on some very difficult to clean and expensive wheels and it works well.
http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html

Here is a video, the ammo cleaner I believe to be a copy of the Sonax with the Ammo tax applied.
Probably the best wheel cleaner I have used. Its downfall is the price. Once in a while though the 1 gallon refill jugs go on sale for about 10-20 bucks more than the 16oz bottle
Sponsored