Cleaning Foggy/Stained windows

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
so not on a mustang but my Uncles car, looking for some advice.... he has a 2003 monte carlo and has lived near a stone quarry for the last 20yrs. the windows are "foggy" and seem to have some of the fallout from the stone quarry on them, over the years getting rained on and baked in the sun. is there any way i can make those windows clear again? what can i use to remove the "stain" from them....? so far used Adam's, Meguiars, Griot's and vinegar on the windows and nothing seems to help..... thoughts?
or anything hardcore that i can use?
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Try a clay bar maybe? You can use a DA polisher on glass but have to make sure you don’t heat up the glass too much.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
You are going to have to get more aggressive than simply using a glass cleaner in this situation.

Firstly, I would be using a clay bar, and a proper clay bar at that rather than a clay towel/mitt/block. Traditional clay bars are more aggressive in removing surface contamination, on paint that is something to be careful of, on glass not so much.

You will then need to polish the glass. Glass is very, very hard to "correct" to the point where it's virtually impossible. However, polishing glass is the best way to deep clean the surface and improve clarity.

The heavy hitter for glass polishing would be Carpro CeriGlass on a Rayon pad or Rayon hand pad. You can buy this on its own or as part of a kit which includes a hand polishing pad. Otherwise, you would use the Rayon pad on a DA polisher.

CARPRO CeriGlass Polish Kit (150ml) - Sky's The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)
CARPRO CeriGlass Polish 150ml (5oz) - Sky's The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)
CARPRO Glass Rayon Polishing Pad - 5" - Sky's The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

IMG-1929.jpg

IMG-1920.jpg

Otherwise, have a look into P&S Clarity Creme. It's debatable whether this is a polish as I have heard it being more of a deep cleaning solution specially tailored towards glass. Can be used on a machine or by hand.

P&S Detail Products - Clarity Creme Glass Polish | The Rag Company

(6) P&S Clarity Creme Glass Polish - YouTube

p-scc101.jpg

Last edited:

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
+1 for the CeriGlass with the necessary pad. Did this job a a good few months ago on mine. I had a little spray / sprtiz bottle of water to keep misting the compound and just took my time. Takes a while with medium pressure but it does work wonders. It removed the film / coating off my windscreen which I think was some sort of coating that was in the midst of breaking down. Nothing else would shift it (glass cleaner, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, clay bar, etc).

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I forgot to mention in my post above about keeping the machine and pad moving across the glass and don't focus on one spot for too long. You can be pretty aggressive with your movements on glass, just keep the pad moving.

Only drawback to CeriGlass is that it can be very messy to use, I would recommend washing the car again afterwards to remove the splatter. You can of course use other polishes and compounds used for paint in this case, but they lack the ability that CeriGlass can deliver. Also be sure to mask up your rubber trims.

IMG-0702.jpg

IMG-0699.jpg
Sponsored