Chips from blade decklid spoiler

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I recently purchased a 2017 GT Premium that came with the standard blade decklid spoiler and it has two rather large chips in the paint at either end of the spoiler. It doesn't feel loose. Is this a normal thing for these blades? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
Chip1.jpg
Chip2.jpg
Chip3.jpg
Sponsored

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
I looks like that spoiler was added as It is not color matched as the factory would do.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
I might be wrong but this is not the oem razor blade. When I removed mine, the blade wasn't that long and was almost flush with the trunk. You should remove the rubber boots inside the trunk and check with a ratchet for any loose and just retorq the nuts on both sides.

For easier repair, you could try to loose the bolts to get more clearance, ( I do not know if you have a 3m tape or not) do touch ups and retorque them. good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I might be wrong but this is not the oem razor blade. When I removed mine, the blade wasn't that long and was almost flush with the trunk. You should remove the rubber boots inside the trunk and check with a ratchet for any loose and just retorq the nuts on both sides.

For easier repair, you could try to loose the bolts to get more clearance, ( I do not know if you have a 3m tape or not) do touch ups and retorque them. good luck!
After GMB's comment, I did Google the description on my window sticker and I do believe it's original. The shop manual does mention the 3M tape, so I think I'll grab a roll, remove the spoiler (look for Ford part numbers), touch the spots up and then reinstall the spoiler. Thanks.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My 19 has the same chips from the factory. Nothing loose either as I changed mine and it was tight and a bear to get off.

Cwood8656

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A, 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner double cab
My 2019 did that at each end.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Another 2019 with chips at both ends. I've checked and everything is tight.

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
That is from the black accent package, previous owner added it on. I would personally remove it, buy another one and have it installed properly.

Sponsored

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
That is from the black accent package, previous owner added it on. I would personally remove it, buy another one and have it installed properly.
I think I am wrong because that is a 2017, I think it was an option to be added. I also thought the spoiler was chipped not the trunk deck. Do what you said with new tape and proper torque.

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I think I am wrong because that is a 2017, I think it was an option to be added. I also thought the spoiler was chipped not the trunk deck. Do what you said with new tape and proper torque.
I have the brochure and window sticker, the brochure says it's part of the black accent package and the sticker says it's factory. Thanks!
Sponsored