Sponsored

Chipped paint on bumper

DDF126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Got this relatively minor spot on the bumper that has really been triggering me. I touched it up, but the paint doesn't match. Is this due to the metallic nature of Iconic Silver, or just poorly matched touch up paint?

Is it possible to get this spot to blend without respraying the entire bumper?
20231105_010211.jpg
20231104_141728.jpg
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It looks like there’s an actual gouge in the bumper? If so, make sure to layer the touch up paint so you fill the gouge. It will be tough too because the bumper is plastic and at least to me, touch up spots are tougher to match on the plastic bumper vs the metal hood.

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Dr color chip is outstanding !!!! and they guarantee the color match .

OP
OP

DDF126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Fortunately there's no gouge or damage to the bumper, it just looks that way because the paint slightly bubbled from whatever impacted it. Peeled most of it away with my fingernail, but missed a little bit near the top area.

The paint I used was ordered from paintscratch. Always had good luck with them on previous cars, but this is the first with a metallic paint.

Going to try next hitting it with a bit of clearcoat to see if maybe that affects the coloring. If that doesn't work, I'll try some paint from the dealer or Dr. Colorchip.

Anyone that has maybe had to touch up iconic silver? What did you use and were you able to get it mostly unnoticeable?

Sponsored

jlchoutex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 401A
It might not match exactly since that bumper has been repainted once already.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If the paint bubbled up a bit, try wet sanding with a fine grit sandpaper. Then a quick polish and then fill in with your touch up paint. It will still be noticeable, that’s just the nature of touch ups but that would hopefully lessen how much it’s noticed.

OP
OP

DDF126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
It might not match exactly since that bumper has been repainted once already.
Just out curiosity, how are you able to tell the bumper has been repainted? I've had the car coming up on 1 year now, had 3700 miles when I got it. Bumper had some previous damage to the splitter, but the paint has always looked really good to me. Never noticed anything "off", so to speak.
20230611_125125.jpg

jlchoutex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 401A
You can see where it was sanded. The finish is not the same if you look up close. Probably wouldn't see it from a distance.

OP
OP

DDF126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You can see where it was sanded. The finish is not the same if you look up close. Probably wouldn't see it from a distance.
Interesting. I believe I see what you're referring to. Makes sense giving the slight damage to the splitter that was in that area.
Sponsored