Sponsored

Checking Oil w/Ford Performance Oil Separators - PITA

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I never gave it a second's thought prior to install, but once the FP separator (left) was installed reaching the dipstick became a real PITA, well actually, re-inserting it is really the PITA! Gotta pull it from the cabin side of the shock brace.

No matter - I'll check it often and consider it just another quirk of the little bastard.

:thumbsup:
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Honestly, you can probably check once a year. The driver side is almost always empty.

The Peterson breather can from Watson is even better. Vent those fumes to atmosphere and ensure no oil vapors ever make it into the engine!

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Honestly, you can probably check once a year. The driver side is almost always empty.

The Peterson breather can from Watson is even better. Vent those fumes to atmosphere and ensure no oil vapors ever make it into the engine!
No... I was referring to the dipstick and checking the oil in the pan. LOL. I probably should have considered a different make. Maybe I take it back off? We'll see.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No... I was referring to the dipstick and checking the oil in the pan. LOL. I probably should have considered a different make. Maybe I take it back off? We'll see.

ahh, my bad. Honestly, I don't think you need to run the driver''s side separator. Just the passenger side

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I agree it's a little annoying to insert oil deep stick back after removing it with driver side FP oil-air separator installed. But I learned how to do it without even looking at it. What you need to do is to lean top of the deep stick to the other side of the motor while aiming the tip into the oil tube where the groove guide in the motor is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Vent those fumes to atmosphere and ensure no oil vapors ever make it into the engine!
The TV just told me that 30,000 children in inner city Chicago will have learning disabilities from just one GT350 doing that at a single track event. How dare you!

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
I have both FP Oil Separators and use a headlamp to see the hole for the dipstick. Works great. Can buy a cheap on on Amazon.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Also agree that in 3K miles the passenger side hasn't had any oil so it can be removed.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Hopefully this helps, I just emptied both of mine after a track day and found a new way to empty and made it way easier and thanks to the community for the idea
OP is not asking how to empty oil separator :facepalm:. He's original post is about how oil separator is getting in the way and make it more difficult to check the motor oil by reinserting deep stick.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
OP is not asking how to empty oil separator :facepalm:. He's original post is about how oil separator is getting in the way and make it more difficult to check the motor oil by reinserting deep stick.
:) That's okay -- any helpful information is always welcome on any any topic.

Thanks lenFeb on your tip about inserting the dipstick... I'll give it a try. I still laugh at myself for not even giving a second's thought about how the separator it would interfere -- not that it's really a "problem", just a PITA.

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
:) That's okay -- any helpful information is always welcome on any any topic.

Thanks lenFeb on your tip about inserting the dipstick... I'll give it a try. I still laugh at myself for not even giving a second's thought about how the separator it would interfere -- not that it's really a "problem", just a PITA.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Yep sorry.....meant driver's side is unnecessary.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
Why would only the passenger side oil separator be necessary and not the driver's side?
Sponsored