Sponsored

Changing Spec after ordering - any chance?

AndyT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X
Hi,

I am newbie here and would appreciate any advice. I placed my order just under 2 weeks ago and would like to have made a minor tweak to the spec of the car, but I am being told by the dealer that this is not possible as the order is accepted. Is this just what it's like dealing with Ford or is it worth pushing for. It seems very inflexible given that my car probably won't be built for 5 or 6 months. I know it's my bad for wanting to change the spec slightly but I didn't think they would be locked in so early on on the exact spec with no changes allowed.

many thanks

Andy
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Welcome. Tell them you're cancelling and you want your deposit back. They can only legitimately keep any of it to cover their costs, of which their shouldn't have been any.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Welcome. Tell them you're cancelling and you want your deposit back. They can only legitimately keep any of it to cover their costs, of which their shouldn't have been any.
Not so sure about this. I used to think that was the case until I advised a guy on here that had lost his deposit because he pulled out of buying an RS6. He subsequently saw a solicitor who advised him he'd got lucky he only lost the deposit as the dealer could've forced him to go ahead with the purchase!

In answer to the OP, who knows. Back when I ordered mine (Jan '15), lockdown dates/build dates/delivery etc were somewhat of an unknown so changing spec was possible fairly late in the day. No idea how it works now but would imagine those timescales to be a hell of a lot shorter.

Also yes, this is what it's like dealing with Ford. :D

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Not so sure about this. I used to think that was the case until I advised a guy on here that had lost his deposit because he pulled out of buying an RS6. He subsequently saw a solicitor who advised him he'd got lucky he only lost the deposit as the dealer could've forced him to go ahead with the purchase!

In answer to the OP, who knows. Back when I ordered mine (Jan '15), lockdown dates/build dates/delivery etc were somewhat of an unknown so changing spec was possible fairly late in the day. No idea how it works now but would imagine those timescales to be a hell of a lot shorter.

Hmm, ok then Its maybe accepted wisdom on my part, ie wrong :facepalm:. There have been plenty cancelled orders however and it might help focus the mind of the dealer on helping out if he can.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

All depends if it's wrote as a refundable or non refundable deposit. Usually (and rs6's come quicker with delivery etc than a mustang) it's locked in with mustangs once the build is confirmed.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Hi,

I am newbie here and would appreciate any advice. I placed my order just under 2 weeks ago and would like to have made a minor tweak to the spec of the car, but I am being told by the dealer that this is not possible as the order is accepted. Is this just what it's like dealing with Ford or is it worth pushing for. It seems very inflexible given that my car probably won't be built for 5 or 6 months. I know it's my bad for wanting to change the spec slightly but I didn't think they would be locked in so early on on the exact spec with no changes allowed.

many thanks

Andy
Hi Andy

Welcome and congrats on your order, think you dealer is a bit out with a build time, as a MY19 should be built within a few months and delivered within about 6 months, it’s very possible for the order to be committed meaning you can’t change anything, as my MY19 was committed within 10 days and built within a couple of months, get you dealer to either send a screen shot of the order on the system or go take a look

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
I don't think you can cancel once signed.

"Buying a car in person from a dealership
A vehicle order signed on the dealer’s premises has no cooling-off period. Once you sign it, you are legally committed to everything shown on the form.

Obviously, you have consumer rights that allow you to return a faulty car for a full refund. But you don’t have the legal right to simply change your mind either before or after taking delivery. You have signed a contract and you are expected to fulfil it.

A dealer may be prepared to negotiate changes to the contract in order to keep you from walking away. But they do have the moral high ground here as it’s you who wants to change the contract."

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/bought-a-car-and-changed-my-mind/

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi Andy,

Are you looking to just add the body stripe, as per your comment on my ‘collection day’ thread ? If so this ought to be something your dealer should be able to help with after the car is delivered.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andy,

Are you looking to just add the body stripe, as per your comment on my ‘collection day’ thread ? If so this ought to be something your dealer should be able to help with after the car is delivered.
IF it is - dont let TrustFord do it!

...they totally screwed the stripe fitting up on mine - I had to get them to order a new stripe and get it fitted properly by Chameleon Carz -

a car detail and wrapper in Doncaster

Sponsored
OP
OP

AndyT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Hi Andy,

Hi Mike, yes that's the change I was looking to make as your car looks fantastic, but it's not going to happen. I am sure that if a dealer made a mistake on an order they could damn well change it, but it seems it's not possible. Is the stripe not sprayed if ford do it, from your pictures it looked like it was under the lacquer but maybe I am wrong. Anyways I am over it, once that engine starts I won't give a damn what it looks like :eek:)

OP
OP

AndyT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I am not going to chance cancelling my order, my bad for not getting the spec right to start with. The long wait is going to be annoying but it will be worth it.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I seem to remember back in the very early days a dealer making an arse of one guy's order and i think that one needed to be cancelled and reordered, and the wait times were a lot longer then. Once they're locked in that's it.
I wouldn't be cancelling over the stripe. Any decent place will replicate it for less money. The stripes weren't painted on the 15-17 cars; the black roof was. Not sure about the MY18-

DaBigGinger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT & GT86
If it's just a body stripe, any wrapper or sign writer should be able to make one for you. I believe most people on here who have stripes (myself included) are non-factory fitted.

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi Mike, yes that's the change I was looking to make as your car looks fantastic, but it's not going to happen. I am sure that if a dealer made a mistake on an order they could damn well change it, but it seems it's not possible. Is the stripe not sprayed if ford do it, from your pictures it looked like it was under the lacquer but maybe I am wrong. Anyways I am over it, once that engine starts I won't give a damn what it looks like :eek:)
The stripe is just a vinyl...If I was you I’d take your situation as an opportunity to get a different stripe added by a professional company.
Sponsored