Changing rim size?

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
Hello. I have on order a 2021 Convertible GT Premium with Performance Package and some other stuff. Since I'm in the north east, I can't run the summer tires year round. I think the easiest and most cost effective solution is to get a second set of tires/rims.

1. Do I have to stick with the 19/19.5 setup or can I go down to an 18 or smaller?
2. Should I keep it staggered?
3. Open to decent but cheap rims and tires for the winter (would like a Cobra R look, in black)

TIA
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
1. Do I have to stick with the 19/19.5 setup or can I go down to an 18 or smaller?
you can run whatever fits. SOME 18's clear the front Brembo. Get with DiscountTire or a friendly supplier if you want to try some 18's that are not yet known to fit. You can put 17 on the rear.
hell no
3. Open to decent but cheap rims and tires for the winter (would like a Cobra R look, in black)
get with @bjf102 he wants to dump some 20x8.5s

bjf102

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
you can run whatever fits. SOME 18's clear the front Brembo. Get with DiscountTire or a friendly supplier if you want to try some 18's that are not yet known to fit. You can put 17 on the rear.

hell no

get with @bjf102 he wants to dump some 20x8.5s
Hello. I have on order a 2021 Convertible GT Premium with Performance Package and some other stuff. Since I'm in the north east, I can't run the summer tires year round. I think the easiest and most cost effective solution is to get a second set of tires/rims.

TIA
Where in the north east are you? I'm in Jersey, but looking to upgrade my wheels atm. Currently I have a set of Rovos Pretorias in gloss black size 20x8.5.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Used stock takeoffs are good for winter wheels. However, my understanding is none of the stock 18x8 base wheels on non performance pack cars clear the Brembos. Some of the 19x8.5 stock wheels (maybe all of them?) do clear the Brembos. The blackout package wheels and the Ecoboost performance pack wheels definitely fit.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I have 18 inch summer wheels (Enkei PF01) and recommend strongly against 18 inch winter wheels because the caliper to wheel clearance is ~0 and any sand or rocks get stuck and start scratching up the inside of the wheel. If you do that long enough, you will have a part failure. Anything 19x8.5 or 19x9 is a good option. Keep all 4 wheels and tires the same so you can rotate.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Right, some 18" wheels will fit with the Brembo's but clearance will be minimal (snow & gunk likes to build up in odd places sometimes) and they are usually more expensive than 19" options.

I would use the heavy OE wheels for winter use and get something lighter and wider for summer/performance use. If you need to swap the stock tires over, the 255 fronts will still fit a 19x10" wheel.

OP
OP
frank_white

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
Where in the north east are you? I'm in Jersey, but looking to upgrade my wheels atm. Currently I have a set of Rovos Pretorias in gloss black size 20x8.5.
Central NJ. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm definitely waiting until I get confirmation that this car is actually coming before I pull the trigger on anything.
Sponsored